Mazda CX-7 This sporty turbocharged 4 cylinder SUV combines the spirit of a performance car with the versatility of an SUV.

New CX-7 owner a little concerned

Old 12-28-2013, 10:27 PM

Only problem with the cx-7 is lack of maintenance. Over due oil changes kill the motor and turbo. The earlier models had problems with the VVT gear pin not pumping up and locking into place cause a rattle on startup. They also have chain stretch problems which they have not improved the replacement chain. But pretty much the problems are caused by lazy owners going to far between oil changes. Being a turbo car it's a lot harder on the oil then a conventional motor. If you do have a rattle on startup don't put it off. If the chain breaks your going to need a new motor.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:02 PM
Default looking to buy used 2008 CX-7 GT AWD

Hello Mandy I found your forum post very interesting like you my wife and I are looking for a good used vehicle we live in Canada north of Toronto where we get a lot of snow and cold winters, looking for a roomy AWD SUV that is not too costly and has potential for towing if needed. Like you we are currently looking at a used 2011 RAV4 for $20,000.00 a little beat up and abused but is the sport model AWD has some nice up grades plus 85,000 km and an additional 2 year factory warranty left on it. We then also bumped into an opportunity for a mint condition lady driven one owner black 2008 AWD Mazda GT with every possible option on it that you can get. It was so well taken care of you could eat off the floors. This vehicle has 70,000 km on it which is about 50,000 miles and has an extend full warranty for another 2 years. I am asking you and anyone else based on your experiences with this vehicle purchasing in CDN $ for $15,000.00 tax in with 2 sets of full new tires and alloy wheels included along with the extended warranty is this a good deal and will we be happy with this kind of vehicle for another 5 years? Like you Mandy very concerned about the amount of chatter on the issues with this vehicle.
I look forward to hearing how your vehicle is doing now and from any other forum CX-7 owners especially if you live in cold winter areas with lots of snow.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by thebrusher
Hello Mandy I found your forum post very interesting like you my wife and I are looking for a good used vehicle we live in Canada north of Toronto where we get a lot of snow and cold winters, looking for a roomy AWD SUV that is not too costly and has potential for towing if needed. Like you we are currently looking at a used 2011 RAV4 for $20,000.00 a little beat up and abused but is the sport model AWD has some nice up grades plus 85,000 km and an additional 2 year factory warranty left on it. We then also bumped into an opportunity for a mint condition lady driven one owner black 2008 AWD Mazda GT with every possible option on it that you can get. It was so well taken care of you could eat off the floors. This vehicle has 70,000 km on it which is about 50,000 miles and has an extend full warranty for another 2 years. I am asking you and anyone else based on your experiences with this vehicle purchasing in CDN $ for $15,000.00 tax in with 2 sets of full new tires and alloy wheels included along with the extended warranty is this a good deal and will we be happy with this kind of vehicle for another 5 years? Like you Mandy very concerned about the amount of chatter on the issues with this vehicle.
I look forward to hearing how your vehicle is doing now and from any other forum CX-7 owners especially if you live in cold winter areas with lots of snow.
Well no snow in San Diego but the car has been okay. No turbo or vvt issues but at just 60k I started hearing a loud droning sound from the rear. Ended up being shot wheel bearings and a blown rear shock. That plus the 60k service plus serpentine belt etc was $2100! Just over 70k on the clock now and it's running and looking like new. I'll keep updating

Old 03-22-2014, 03:43 AM
Super Moderator

What was wrong with the belt? They usually last 150,000kms.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
What was wrong with the belt? They usually last 150,000kms.
Just showing signs of wear. My shop did this for next to nothing because I was already in so deep on the bearings and shocks. Not to mention the 60k service on these cars are pretty extensive.

Old 03-23-2014, 04:20 AM
Super Moderator

Where in the world are you Turbo Mandy?

60k svc extra's should only be a air filter.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:10 PM

New CX-7 owner a little concerned-image.jpg

California. The vast majority of the cost was the bearings and shocks. But here is a list of what was performed. And you're right most of the service is inspect and lubricate.