Mazda CX-7 This sporty turbocharged 4 cylinder SUV combines the spirit of a performance car with the versatility of an SUV.

Mazda Headlights are dim

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 07:22 AM
Default Mazda Headlights are dim

Hello, my 2012 Mazda CX-7 has horrible dim headlights no matter what bulbs I use, and they blow up to 5X a year!!!! I have had no luck contacting corporate on this issue and no one seems to care that my turn signals are brighter than my lights

so, I have made a formal complaint here: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/ if you have the same issues please join me in hopes Mazda finally does the recall on the headlights before someone is killed!! I’m fed up!

Old 12-04-2018, 10:05 AM

Sounds like your problems are worse than mine, however, I have a similar complaint about the brightness of the Mazda headlights. I replaced the headlights in my 2015 Mazda 3 with brighter bulbs and can barely tell the difference. The next thing I am going to try is to adjust the headlights upward to see if that helps. Interestingly, the headlights are much brighter in my 2016 Mazda 2 (Scion iA).

I wonder if you have an electrical problem, although, it is hard to imagine the combination of too dim and the lights frequently burning out.

Is there any chance whoever is installing the bulbs is touching the bulb glass? That could cause the quick burn out rate. On an earlier Mazda, when the first bulb burned out when the car was around 4 years old, I had a mechanic replace all the bulbs in the front of the vehicle. The new bulbs started burning out in 3 months.

Old 12-07-2018, 03:48 AM
Super Moderator

I would suggest getting a auto sparky to rewire your headlights onto a new circuit with relays, & fit some performance bulbs like Philips plus 130.

Old 12-07-2018, 04:45 PM
Default Issue

So, we ended up buying aftermarket headlights (whole housing) from an aftermarket company for about $400. The projectors in the original headlights were bad. Go figure thanks Mazda 🙄

Old 06-02-2021, 07:46 AM
Default Answer for Dim Lights on CX7

I have a 2012 Mazda CX7. I've had problem with dim headlights for about 4-5 years. I remember when it started, I had my passenger side dim headlight bulb changed at a quick lube. I had the bulb changed several times after that hoping it would fix the problem, it did not. This past week the dim light on the driver's side went out. I didn't want to pay $50 - $60 to have it changed, so I watched some videos and did it myself. That night I drove the car and it was like both were pointed straight down. I couldn't see anything. The next day I was going to throw away the old bulb ( I had put it in a box in my car and forgot to toss it). I pulled it out to look at it and notices there was an extension on the bulb I took out that wasn't on the new bulb. I realized that extension should go on the dim light. So, I replaced it and that night I was able to see the road! I checked my passenger side and it didn't have the extension. I ordered one from amazon (see attached picture) and will let you know if it fixes the other side. I will be pretty angry if it does...I bought new headlights 2-3 years ago to try and fix the problem, but it didn't. I've attached a pic of the extension. Stay tuned!

Originally Posted by Kathi Blechinger
Hello, my 2012 Mazda CX-7 has horrible dim headlights no matter what bulbs I use, and they blow up to 5X a year!!!! I have had no luck contacting corporate on this issue and no one seems to care that my turn signals are brighter than my lights

so, I have made a formal complaint here: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/ if you have the same issues please join me in hopes Mazda finally does the recall on the headlights before someone is killed!! I’m fed up!
for

Old 08-08-2021, 09:43 AM

I just got a 2021 Mazda3 hatchback and am horrified by the dim headlights. It's hazardous at night. The bulbs can't be changed without the entire housing and nothing can be added, no foglights, nothing. I don't know what to do about this and don't feel safe on the road in the dark, for the first time in my life. Any ideas very appreciated.

Old 08-08-2021, 02:08 PM

There is an adjustment for the aim of the headlights in the infotainment system but I suspect you need more than that. Talk to your dealer to see if they can correct them.

The lights in my 2019 Mazda3 are the best I have had in any vehicle. They should be good for you as well.

Old 08-08-2021, 02:18 PM

Thanks, I talked to the dealer the 2nd day I had the car. They adjusted the lights upward, possibly not as high as they could go but a good bit higher. It didn't make that much difference. I don't know if the difference is between the 2019 and the 2021. Is yours a hatchback as well? I don't know why that would be a factor for forward facing light issues but perhaps. Mainly they are telling me it's a question of "personal preference" which is similar to "get used to it". But I live on country roads and have never ever had to think twice about a car lighting up the road enough before. Could be a dangerous choice to make.

Old 08-08-2021, 04:44 PM

I have the sedan but that shouldn’t matter. See if you can test drive another car to compare.

My current generation’s lights are much brighter than my last generation Mazda3. I had the same concerns you have with the older car.

Old 03-26-2022, 04:21 AM
Default Headlight adapter cx7

I have put in new led headlights and they don't shine in front of the car only to the sides. I just bought some headlight light bulb adapters for $9. Hopefully this should solve the issue.
https://amzn.to/3NnTb8b

Quick Reply: Mazda Headlights are dim