Mazda CX-7 This sporty turbocharged 4 cylinder SUV combines the spirit of a performance car with the versatility of an SUV.

Leak In the Boot/Trunk

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2020, 07:54 AM
Question Leak In the Boot/Trunk

Hi, after the last lot of heavy rain I noticed a puddle of water in our boot. It is coming in from the Left rear access panel (for the passenger side light cluster). I have removed the panel and had a look inside. I cannot see anything out of the ordinary OR identify where the leak is coming from. Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing this?? The water is coming in when the car is stationary so do not think its coming in from the wheel arch.

Old 10-05-2020, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator

You will need to climb inside the boot with a torch while someone hoses down the rear of the vehicle.

Old 10-05-2020, 10:59 AM

Thanks "Grim_reaper", the water is coming in from behind the access panel, and I think Higher up, so not easy to see where it is coming from, but I will try and see if I have any luck.

Old 02-23-2022, 08:27 PM

Did you ever figure out what it was? It seems you and I are the only two people who have this issue. I discovered mine was leaking last night in the boot area in the passenger side access panel where you access the tail light bulbs. Same as you describe it was leaking somewhere from the top but have no idea if it is coming from the roof rails or side window. I haven't disassembled anything yet. Hoping to know if you found out where it was coming from.

Thanks from Canada!

Last edited by tlittle; 02-23-2022 at 08:41 PM.
Old 02-24-2022, 09:52 AM

Did you try having someone in that area and have another on the outside using a hose watering that area to see if you can track the leak?

Old 02-24-2022, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
Did you try having someone in that area and have another on the outside using a hose watering that area to see if you can track the leak?
Unfortunately because of where the leak is located it's very difficult to tell where its coming from even if I had a helper. My only options are hoping someone on here had the same type of leak and was able to source it out to save me the trouble of ripping the back trunk apart. Or I invest in a scope camera to run it up inside. this picture below is all I can see looking up where the access panel would be. the water collects on that bit of insulation and drips through the access cover pools in the corner and runs down into the spare tire well

Old 02-24-2022, 02:16 PM

Ok well yes actually you can if you apply the water from the bottom area and working your way to the top very low volume. It how we do it in a body shop. You can also get also fill a bottle with a high-volume spray nozzle with 50/50 isopropyl alcohol. This way if you don't see where it is coming from you may smell it and narrow down the area of the leak.

On Coupes and Sedans, The taillight. That would be my guess.... There is a gasket between the taillight and body and if it is damaged, aged or was never properly seated can cause leaks in the the trunk and rear quarte section area.

Old 02-24-2022, 04:25 PM

The short answer is, we never did find out what was causing it. It just seemed to stop after a little while. Which worries me as it could be continuing somewhere we aren’t aware of.

I hope you find a solution. If you do have any insights please let me know.

hope the snow isn’t too bad for you at the minute.

Old 02-25-2022, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by markstephens454
The short answer is, we never did find out what was causing it. It just seemed to stop after a little while. Which worries me as it could be continuing somewhere we aren’t aware of.

Did you read my response suggestion; it would apply to your MAZDA as well even if you think the leak stopped.

Old 03-06-2022, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by markstephens454

I ended up removing the rear plastic pillar to have a better look. Wow Mazda uses little to no insulation in their cars! I always wondered why the cabin interior got cold really fast after just a few minutes with the heat off. My old 07 Hyundai tucson a cheap basic car was designed better than this thing... Anyways I poured some water on the roof and around the side window it appears to be coming from the roof and not the window so there's a start... However this is where it gets very confusing because it's leaking from the roof somewhere, it's not leaving any telltale signs on the headliner that in my opinion would be better because it would be easier to pin point. This leak is trickling in an area where I can't easily see it regardless if I used isopropyl alcohol to sniff it out. There are metal panels overlapping eachother making it super difficult to see where its coming from I'm going to have to rip more of the back interior apart to figure this out. It's possible this leak is coming from either the roof rail or rear boot door strut support thats bolted to the car

We're supposed to get nothing but rain monday and Tuesday so here's my plan. I Have these cheap brown napkins from McDonald's that I am going to place in the suspected areas and if one of them is wet or more saturated than the other I know thats the general area where the leak is coming from.

Also is that pink thing an air bag!? If it is Would have been nice if mazda had put a warning on that panel!