Mazda CX-7 This sporty turbocharged 4 cylinder SUV combines the spirit of a performance car with the versatility of an SUV.

Cx-7, head of it's class?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 12:30 AM
Default Cx-7, head of it's class?

I just got the July issue o fCar and Driver and I read a review on the Mazda Cx-7. They go on to say it has planty o froom and a 66degree raked windshield that suprisingly keeps everything comfortable. all in all they say it is the perfect example of what a CUV (crossover utility vehicle) should be and behaves more like a car than anything of it's diemnsions and here is a word for word quote on how well it drives.

"That leather-wrapped hoop is positively connected to the front-strut suspension through a solidly rack, and in our all-wheel-drive CX-7, it felt almost like the helm of a rear-wheel-drive car. That's quite an achievement in a vehicle that is, in truth, a front-wheel-drive car with occasional all-wheel-drive. the rear wheels only get to drivewhen the computer-controlled coupling senses front-to-rear-wheel speed disparities (including slippage), and that only happens in low-traction situations. The maximum ammount of torque that can be shifted rearword is 50 percent, and the normal operating state full-on front-wheel-drive."

"But the steering is pretty pure for all that, directing the CX-7 with pin-point accuracy (as Runsfield might say) and streaming some reassuring data back to the driver's hands. This is a car that feels as if you put it on rather than get into it. Arive at an airport at midnight in a rainstorm and this is the kind of car you want waiting. theres nothing nebulous about it's interactions with the driver. when it wakes up, so do you."

"And when we drove the CX-7 through the mountains in the rain on the way back from our test session, we could drive at speeds clearly unimaginable to other road users- holding and shifting gears with the manumatic override, without triggering the car's dynamic stability control. ONly once did the system kick in, and that was while we were braking firmly on a long donhill left-hand curve and the outside wheels wandere donto a slick white line."

Reading words like these makes me respect the Mazda engineers so much. The CX-7 is apparently a hit and if any of our members bought one cogradulations, you got the best crossover for the money. Go Mazda.

Wow....... now I actually want one...... knida. but serioulsy if I wanted a crossover this car is a smash hit.

Old 06-10-2006, 12:57 AM
Default RE: Cx-7, head of it's class?

this took a while to type people. any responses?

Old 06-10-2006, 03:09 AM

It will most likely be the replacement for my wife's Mazda6 wagon when the time comes. I've seen quite a few in person and they are VERY nice.

Old 06-15-2006, 03:06 PM

the only thing that may hurt the Cx-7 is it does not tow much. I think it tows only 2,000 pounds. It also may be slightly small for some people. But I think it should do well. Go Mazda!

Old 06-15-2006, 04:56 PM

Well it's not a truck nor SUV, it's a CUV so it is for small families and stuff not so much towing anyway. The audience this targets is there and it fufills it's genre perfectly.

Old 06-15-2006, 05:38 PM

i think the CUV is pretty cool... has plenty of power and is large enough to fit a family and accessories. this is going to be a very popular car, especially with what is powering the engine (turbo).

Old 08-14-2017, 05:50 PM

I just bought a 2011 CX-7 GT with 70k miles on it. Owned a 2012 M3 GT until it got totaled (broadsided, it gave up it's life to protect mine, no injuries to me!). Was shopping for a bigger car for Uber and Lyft driving, and looked on Craigslist for a CX5, or CX7, still not sure what the difference is, but this was less expensive than the CX5's were going for. Must be the low MPG that scares people off? So I've not driven it a whole lot, but it sure has a touchy throttle, I have to baby it to take off from a stop smoothly and when the turbo kicks... wow! All this car moving like that with just a 2.3L?

I realize this is a morgue slab thread, but thought I'd pop in and say something anyway.

So what is the difference between the 5 and 7? Beyond just 2, ok?