Mazda CX-7 This sporty turbocharged 4 cylinder SUV combines the spirit of a performance car with the versatility of an SUV.

Cranks and dies

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2023, 11:41 PM
Default Cranks and dies

Shut off on me while driving. No engine codes. Will idle for 30 secs when stone cold. Must hold pedal to floor to get it to start but starts hard and dies. Similar to fuel starvation but fuel pressures are correct for both pumps, running extremely rich
Using a scan tool i noticed the throttle valve is displaying 58% at all times and moves to 62% while pedal is floored
With air inlet removed, i noticed the throttle gate physically does nothing while pushing the pedal with key on
Following the alldata inspection instructions which says to measure ohms between terminals F and E on throttle
Also note a rather strange buzzing from the throttle valve after shutting the vehicle off
F and E are 2.1 Ohms, the other two sets are 144 and 132 ohms. if im reading the instructions correctly (maybe not) it should read .3--100 ohms.
I dont understand the --100. Is this a variance between .03 and 100 or should F and E be .3 and the other terminals be 100?
Does this warrant a replace?.... i wish they were more specific on the instructions

Last edited by davage; 10-31-2023 at 11:48 PM.
Old 11-01-2023, 10:31 AM

Welcome to the forum

Old 11-01-2023, 10:42 AM

Why do member start off asking for help and dont FIRST post the information about the vehicle???

The basic's before asking a problem ITRW and the internet are as follows;

Year
Make Model
Engine
Transmission type
Miles

While some may not always apply without these how can anyone with experience begin to help??

BTW if your engine on any OBDII or CAN-bus ECU randomly shuts off while running there will be ECU data information either in the monitors or DTC pending record. If you have an advanced Diagnostic scanner, you can also look at the counters.

If you are not using a Diagnostic scanner connected directly to the diagnostic connector (NO BLUE TOOTH) then this is your first mistake in starting to perform a diagnostic solving tree.

ALLData is a paid service that was primarily designed and written for experienced users and service shops. The program Alldata assumes your are a trained mechanic or Automotive technician and many service procedures are written assuming that!
I do know they offer DIY manuals but they while written for DIY they still assume some basic DIY experience with ECU model vehicles manufactured from 2001 to present and have proper diagnostic tools (no blue tooth) and equipment.

For DIY IMHO better off with a basic service manual publication like Haynes, Clymer etc.... to DIY service.
The last suggestion I often post is going to a service shop pay them an hour to diagnose the issue and then DIY the service repair!

Last edited by Callisto; 11-01-2023 at 10:47 AM.
Old 11-01-2023, 12:02 PM

Its written strange is all. Maybe before commenting criticizing someone trying to understand the mess that some engineer splattered on the page, just a simple "i would" or "i wouldnt" is much more constructive. Otherwise youre wasting your own time aswell

Old 11-01-2023, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by davage
Its written strange is all. Maybe before commenting criticizing someone trying to understand the mess that some engineer splattered on the page, just a simple "i would" or "i wouldnt" is much more constructive. Otherwise your wasting your own time aswell
Not really because I actually follow a see how many times some threads are visited. Many of of my responses get remembered.

Sooooo you didn't want to reword you query than. Honestly, I don't have time to do a long Q&A so I guess if you want help you can wait for other members?
However I will say you need to look for DTC(S) in the ECU they will be there, or the monitors will be in fault. This is important information. The ECU will show an engine cut off DTC if you look.
Only use a diagnostic scanning tool connected to the OBDII diagnostic connector DO NOT USE ANY CHEAP SCANNER OR BLUETOOTH SCANNING PROGRAM!

Still it is helpful and really need some or all :

The basic's before asking a problem ITRW and the internet are as follows;

Year
Make Model
Engine
Transmission type
Miles

Last edited by Callisto; 11-01-2023 at 12:44 PM.