Mazda CX-7 This sporty turbocharged 4 cylinder SUV combines the spirit of a performance car with the versatility of an SUV.

Air Intake Baffle (Silencer) removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 05:35 PM
Default Air Intake Baffle (Silencer) removal

Credit goes to G-Papi for the find, and 1Sleepy93 for the pictures

Air Intake Baffle (Silencer) removal
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's how to remove the air baffle (silencer) that's beneath the air filter in the air box on the CX-7. Its removal seems to smooth out the power band, increase the power, and (heehee) make it sound better. The improved efficiency may improve the gas mileage.

Look at the air filter box. There are finger clips on all sides, and as I recall, two on the front.

Unclip the clips. Remove the air filter cover. It may ease matters if you unscrew the hose clamp to the air intake and remove the hose from the cover. Reinstallation is a snap, so not to worry.

Being careful not to tear the air filter, or distort in any way, remove the air filter by lifting straight up. Remember which side is up.

You will see the bottom of the box, which is a flat surface. Clipped to it is the baffle. Using a flat screwdriver, unclip it from the body of the box. Do not damage the baffle in the process. It should be a simple snap-out operation. Wipe out any dust in the bottom of the box.

Reinstall the filter, and close the cover, being certain that the filter seals properly on all sides of the box, and there is no interference with reclosing the box. Be sure that all clips are re-attached, along with the intake air hose, if you disconnected it previously.

A tip . . .

Save your baffle. Re-install it if taking the car for warranty service, or for when you trade it in for the 2009 model.

Old 08-30-2006, 05:40 PM
Default RE: Air Intake Baffle (Silencer) removal

Pix by 1Sleepy93 :

Here's the pics.

Here is the airbox in all it's glory!

Shot with the cover off and filter exposed. (I found it easier to remove the lid with the plug to the MAF disconnected and removed from the wire harness clip on the box)

Bottom of the airbox before the mod.

Bottom of the airbox after the mod.

Piece that was removed from the airbox.

Old 09-27-2006, 04:52 PM
Default RE: Air Intake Baffle (Silencer) removal

I wonder how your CX7 perform without the silencer. Do you really get more power and can it improve gas mileage? I am very curious to know the answers. Thanks