Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wireless CarPlay Dongle

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2021, 03:23 PM

I think personally I would recommend wireless carplay if you had a phone/device that was capable of using wireless charging since you can just get into your vehicle pop it in your charging bay or car mount. There are pros and cons when it comes wireless carplay vs wired carplay just like there is a difference if you played music using your bluetooth instead. Plus sooner or later, if you are constantly plugging in your phone/device, it could damage the dock connector. Just my take on it.

Old 05-28-2021, 05:39 PM

I'm new to this forum but I may have something to add to this thread: I bought a wireless adapter so I could use CarPlay in my newly-purchased 2018 CX-5 GT without plugging my phone in because I just prefer to keep my phone in my pocket. I don't worry about charging my phone, because I charge it every night and I carry it with me at work all day, so for me, wireless is just about the convenience of not having to plug the phone in each time I get in the car. Anyway, the unit I bought is a "CPLAY2air". It was about $129. I hooked it up last night (the USB plugs into the CarPlay socket in the console, and it just stores neatly in the console. Though I've only used it for one day, it seems to work well. It does take about 30 seconds for the whole system to boot up when starting the car, but I think the 2018 CX-5 takes a while ANYWAY, even when using the system that came with the car (Grand Touring). I'll update this thread as I use the unit. If you are interested in one of these, be sure to check the specs to see if it works with your particular vehicle.

Old 06-06-2021, 08:28 PM

I used that in another vehicle and it was VERY reliable. I also bought the CarLink 2.0 Kit for another vehicle and it, too, has been 99.9% reliable and zero issues. You can get them on Amazon.

Old 06-07-2021, 08:07 AM

The OP was asking about a 2021 CX-5. The CPLAY2air website states that it only supports Mazda vehicles through 2020. The 2021 CX-5 infotainment is different. And as for Carlinkit 2.0 (not Carlink 2.0) their website says "unstable compatibility" for all Mazdas...

Last edited by freescopesdad; 06-07-2021 at 08:17 AM.
Old 06-07-2021, 08:16 AM

CarLink 2.0 states it will work on a 2021

Old 06-07-2021, 08:27 AM

every google search for carlink 2.0 returns carlinkit 2.0. If you have a url for their claim, please publish it.

Old 06-07-2021, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by freescopesdad
every google search for carlink 2.0 returns carlinkit 2.0. If you have a url for their claim, please publish it.
https://www.carlinkitfactory.com/pro...ctory-carplay/

I have this in my 2021 RAM and it works AWESOME!

Old 06-07-2021, 09:22 AM

and yet if i click on your link, go to the faq's and click on the supported vehicles list, it only covers mazda's up to 2020. the fact that they claim it works is in contrast with other posts that says it doesn't.

Old 06-07-2021, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by freescopesdad
and yet if i click on your link, go to the faq's and click on the supported vehicles list, it only covers mazda's up to 2020. the fact that they claim it works is in contrast with other posts that says it doesn't.
This is what the link says that I provided...

Don't know what else you want me to say...I don't make the damn thing

Old 06-07-2021, 12:45 PM

On the face of it, this CarLinkIt 2.0 kit looks like just the ticket, but my battery will likely not keep up with the demands of CarPlay so I will have to plug it in anyway.

Quick Reply: Wireless CarPlay Dongle