Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter Tire Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2022, 07:42 PM
Default Winter Tire Recommendations

I’m from just outside of Vancouver BC where we get some snow/ice but most winter driving is wet. Rain or slush. I do travel mountain highways so I need a tire that is good in extreme conditions but still decent in wet or dry.

Any recommendations?

Also my CX5 came with 225/55/19’s but I’m wondering about downsizing to 17’s. Anyone have advice?

Old 10-18-2022, 07:40 AM

Tires are like oil you'll get a different answer from everyone you ask.
Plus, actual tire performance is based on driving abilities and habits which vary greatly among drivers.
I have several brand models I particularly like but they fit how I drive and where I drive.
Cost is also a serious factor as some folks have unlimited funds and others are on a budget.
Do a search on professional tire review websites, people who test tires for a living, there are many out there.
Then narrow down the choices that point to how/where you drive then purchase the best ones you can afford that have the best rating and warranty.

Old 10-19-2022, 08:08 AM

if you want dedicated snows go nokian hakkas. If you want all weather go nokian WRG4 or michelin crossclimates2s

Old 10-19-2022, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Everybody do the Bartman
I’m from just outside of Vancouver BC where we get some snow/ice but most winter driving is wet. Rain or slush. I do travel mountain highways so I need a tire that is good in extreme conditions but still decent in wet or dry.

Any recommendations?

Also my CX5 came with 225/55/19’s but I’m wondering about downsizing to 17’s. Anyone have advice?
On my own 2016.5 CX-5, it's got the factory 19-inch rims. I went with the Nokian WR G4 SUV all-weather tires, which are basically a proper all-season that's got siping and tread blocks more similar to a winter tire, but with an all-year-'round compound that does well in winter but can survive the summer heat. Am about to go through my third winter season on them. They've been stellar, from a winter point of view, providing about ~90% of the outright snow+ice grip that, say, the Nokian Hakkapeliitta tires deliver. Went with the 235/55-19 sizing for the WR G4 SUV set. The 19x7" rims could be wider, but they've been very good in 3-season weather as well, including on long highway trips, twisty mountain roads with temps in the 80-100 degree range, and for normal around-town driving. Avoids the need for a second set of wheels+tires.

In the 17" rim, this tire is also available in several sizes. 225/65-17, 235/60-17, and 245/60-17. Depending on the width of rim you get, I think they'd be quite good for your region's conditions. Particularly if you don't want to go to a second set of wheels+tires to handle the different seasons.

Won't provide quite the 3-season grip of a high-performance "all-season" tire, let alone a summer-oriented tire. But it'll do well enough, and it'll handle any of winter's crud or rain that Nature throws at you. Has a winter- and summer-capable tread compound that allows the tires to be run year-'round. It's almost like having a winter set of tires that can cover the whole year's weather and conditions. (In my own view, more what an "all" season tire should be, which nearly no all-seasons are.)

https://www.nokiantires.com/all-weat...res-wr-g4-suv/

Of course, if you prefer a higher-performance tire, there are a few others you might consider. Possibly at the cost of losing a bit of winter grip. The tire search tool on TireRack is a pretty good resource for narrowing-down the choices, in a given category of tires. Won't show all possible tires in a category, but it can be a good start.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/revie...surveyComments

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surve...sp?type=W&VT=C

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surve....jsp?type=GTAS