Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

windshield defrost

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2022, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Dennis Wendt
Back on the subject of the thread:
As already mentioned, full 'defrost' as opposed to the 'defrost/floor heat'. I have remote start up here in Wisconsin so I know
where you are coming from. With the remote, there's heat after a couple of minutes, so when I get in the CX, the windshield is
started, if not defrosted. I offer these other 'suggestions' that work for me.
Turn the fan down off the highest speed. Slightly slower fan speed means that the air has a better chance of picking up what heat
is in the heater core.

Another option: Just before shutting off the engine, turn the 'defrost only' on the controls. Also consider hitting 're-circulate'.

These should help some for your situation.

My 1¢
Maybe (not really lol) good for some vehicles pre 1990 but not the current HVAC system. The reason the AC is actuated and goes to full blower speed is to pull as much air through the system to DRY it as well heat it.
The reason you DONT re-circulate the air is because the cabin has moisture which is also why defrost automatically switches to outside air.
Learn about things before assuming how they work.

Old 12-31-2022, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
maybe it was the wet suit shrunk....
Unfortunately, my wetsuit didn't shrink - I expanded. But I kept the wetsuits as sometimes we liked them when just snorkeling in some of those rivers. My wife's wetsuit still fits her though.

Old 12-31-2022, 10:35 PM

My 1¢
Maybe (not really lol) good for some vehicles pre 1990 but not the current HVAC system. The reason the AC is actuated and goes to full blower speed is to pull as much air through the system to DRY it as well heat it.
The reason you DONT re-circulate the air is because the cabin has moisture which is also why defrost automatically switches to outside air.
Learn about things before assuming how they work.
Well oh great guru, I have done these tactics and they work. The idea is to get as much HEAT to the windshield as possible. Once
the frost/ice is melted, you can worry about the moisture in the cabin. Being aware of the weather forecast and planning ahead is the key.
The AC will still DRY the air passing through at the slightly lower speed will it not?
​​​​​​​I have learned a few things in the 60+ years I've been working on cars. Don't assume you are always right.

Old 01-01-2023, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by schmieg
Unfortunately, my wetsuit didn't shrink - I expanded. But I kept the wetsuits as sometimes we liked them when just snorkeling in some of those rivers. My wife's wetsuit still fits her though.
ya hence the wink in my response. hahahahahaha!

Old 01-01-2023, 09:47 AM

Well oh great guru, I have done these tactics and they work. The idea is to get as much HEAT to the windshield as possible. Once
the frost/ice is melted, you can worry about the moisture in the cabin. Being aware of the weather forecast and planning ahead is the key.
The AC will still DRY the air passing through at the slightly lower speed will it not?
I have learned a few things in the 60+ years I've been working on cars. Don't assume you are always right.
Thank you for the complement.
As I said your not accurate and the information to recommend other to follow is not very good. You can claim all you want that it works for you but in the real world that method is not the best way to do things.
As for me assuming I am always right... well please ... I did say how a HVAC system works I nowhere said "it works for me" or give less then verifiable and factual information.
60 years you have been working on cars as you keep bringing up in threads has not always and more often not the best or even the correct way to do things? You are never to old to go back to school!

I recommend that members read about exactly how a HVAC system work on your specific vehicle. If it be new Mazda this below is the basic information (Non-TECHNICAL) how it works.

In a very shorten version....Your car’s primary Mazda defroster uses the HVAC system to defrost your front and side glass. When properly set or when it is automatically activated will pull none circulated air (direct fresh air) into your passenger area which runs that fresh air through the now activate AC which will pull the moisture from the air as it passes over the cooling coils. and the heater core will now have dry hot air to blow over the glass.

Old 01-01-2023, 11:59 AM

Thank you for the complement.
As I said your not accurate and the information to recommend other to follow is not very good. You can claim all you want that it works for you but in the real world that method is not the best way to do things.
As for me assuming I am always right... well please ... I did say how a HVAC system works I nowhere said "it works for me" or give less then verifiable and factual information.
60 years you have been working on cars as you keep bringing up in threads has not always and more often not the best or even the correct way to do things? You are never to old to go back to school!

I recommend that members read about exactly how a HVAC system work on your specific vehicle. If it be new Mazda this below is the basic information (Non-TECHNICAL) how it works.

In a very shorten version....Your car’s primary Mazda defroster uses the HVAC system to defrost your front and side glass. When properly set or when it is automatically activated will pull none circulated air (direct fresh air) into your passenger area which runs that fresh air through the now activate AC which will pull the moisture from the air as it passes over the cooling coils. and the heater core will now have dry hot air to blow over the glass.
Well here's a solution. Next time you are up in Canada during the winter, try it once or twice. My CX sits outside unfortunately so clearing
frost and ice off the windshield is job one.

My 2¢

Old 01-01-2023, 12:21 PM

Well here's a solution. Next time you are up in Canada during the winter, try it once or twice. My CX sits outside unfortunately so clearing
frost and ice off the windshield is job one.

My 2¢
Amazon.com : windshield blanket Amazon.com : windshield blanket

ROLMAO defending your DIY to the end....

And you often assume that where I live "predominatly" I am not exposed to other operating environmental ambient temperature extremes or help people all over the world with Q&A about their vehicles almost dailey....

Old 01-01-2023, 12:51 PM

And you often assume that where I live "predominatly" I am not exposed to other operating environmental ambient temperature extremes or help people all over the world with Q&A about their vehicles almost dailey....
I seriously doubt you spend much, if any, time in Alaska or Canada in the dead of winter. An assumption I'm guilty of.
Head north, Alaska isn't far for a California boy. And it's winter to boot, you can experiment all day.

​​​​​​​My 2¢

Old 01-01-2023, 01:20 PM

I seriously doubt you spend much, if any, time in Alaska or Canada in the dead of winter. An assumption I'm guilty of.
Head north, Alaska isn't far for a California boy. And it's winter to boot, you can experiment all day.

My 2¢
again assuming things .

I did Ice Drag Racing with my Track built originally to race NHRA S/G before building a Camaro instead 482BB 1967 Nova on and off a couple years in Alaska .
Oh and trailed it there in my 1979 Monte Carlo.

As I recall we placed the Hotels towels on the front and rear window to keep them clear of frost and/or snow from overnight parking ROLMAO

Last edited by Callisto; 01-01-2023 at 01:26 PM.
Old 01-01-2023, 01:35 PM

Amazon.com : windshield blanket

I seriously doubt .....
Natural state of being ^^^^^^^^^^
Do you even read and look at pictures in my response of just go off on your rant?

Quick Reply: windshield defrost