Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Why'd you go CX5?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2021, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by GAsierra
Needed a great seating position and range of motion for adjustments, and have had good experiences with a couple of prior Mazdas.

Tried out pretty much every crossover/SUV type car on the market in the past 10yrs. Some failed to have the seat properly centered and aligned with the steering wheel. Some failed to have supportive enough seats. Some seats were plenty supportive and long enough (on the upper leg), but failed to have sufficient range of adjustments. Some had crappy fuel efficiency, or bad track records on maintenance, or were significantly costlier to insure.
Great info! thanks for sharing. I think that's all pretty spot on and it seems like the CX-5 just makes more sense. I've also had a few Mazdas (I got the family hooked on em) and had really good experiences.

Old 02-09-2021, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by GAsierra
For me on the 2016.5 CX-5:
Mixed-mode driving = ~26mpg -- Of course it's heavily dependent on one's mix of driving, how heavy on the throttle a person is, how much overall highway time is part of the mix, the terrain, etc. On the Mazda 3, I've often gotten 22-23mpg for the same essential driving style and mix of roads. IIRC, the old Miata (1.8L) averaged about 26mpg with a mostly-city mix of roads.

Highway trips = a bit over 30mpg -- With more than 95% at 70-75mph and <5% tooling around for gas/food/lodging. At 65mph, it bumps up another couple of miles per gallon. Not all that bad for a "SUV" ... though, I also was hoping for a bit better. Still, it seems comparable to most of the more fuel-efficient cars of similar type. Noticeably better than most of the bigger, heavier ones. Seems to roughly match the EPA estimates for fuel-efficiency (from the window sticker).

City-heavy trips = ~23-24mpg or so -- A bit better than the EPA estimates, but many of the "city" streets I do are fairly low speeds and a sedate pace with the other traffic around (not a lot of hard accelerating). Almost exclusively flat, for the "city" roads.

Lead-foot "bomber" mode = single-digits mpg -- Nothing like seeing how 100mi of appallingly "heavy" use of the throttle and "Sport" mode weighs on the fuel-efficiency, though. Great performance, very zippy acceleration, but jeez it does start chugging the gas. Thankfully, I mostly drive like a "granny" anyway, so it's little loss.
I think I've seen similar to this on our CX-5 as well. That's in Houston though which is almost all highway driving

Old 02-09-2021, 10:15 PM

When the time came to replace our VW Tiguan, we went with the CX-5. I would not go with the CX-3 since it seems too small. Maybe the CX-30 might be an option, but I would still lean towards the CX-5 for practicality reasons.

Old 02-10-2021, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by bobm
With my Allroad I was getting about 28 in mixed driving and about 33-34 on straight highway averaging about 75mph or so. I used premium - Shell or BP - 93 OCTANE.It's a 4 cylinder turbo. There are days when I slap my head and say the the heck was I thinking swapping out that car, other days not so much....
7" shorter, 7" narrower, 1ft better turning radius, more head room, more cargo space, better ground clearance, ...

You'll feel better in a month or two.