Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

White leather seat scuff repair

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2023, 01:49 PM
Default White leather seat scuff repair

I have some scuffs in my seats I'd liked to repair. Anyone know of any solutions?

Old 09-27-2023, 02:38 PM

Welcome to the forum

Well sadly there is no repair for that except to reupholster the seat.

Time to look into a set of seat cover.

Old 09-27-2023, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
Time to look into a set of seat cover.
Definitely the best way to go. In the future if you sell the car to someone, make sure to be honest and show the seat's wear and tear.

Old 09-28-2023, 08:02 AM

As a former motorcycle rider/racer I've much experience with expensive leathers.
I would remind folks to use good leather conditioner on their seats to keep the leather soft and less prone to scuffs.
Good leather conditioner is costly and takes a fair amount of time to apply correctly.
Many people don't do it because they have never been instructed that leather needs maintenance (fluid) much the same as the changing engine oil.
There are a number of leather repair/maintenance kits on the market, and I've used them in the past on my racing leathers/seats with great success.
However, they will not work very well on rips and tears, those require custom repair, but they do work good for scuffs, abrasions, and color restoring.
They can be as simple as a color restorer or a full kit with cleaner, grain filler, color match and finish sealant.
Are they as perfect as new, no, and the good ones are not inexpensive, but they are way cheaper than a new suit or seat repair/recovering.
Plus, you can always go the seat cover route or full professional repair if you don't like the result.

Old 09-28-2023, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Lobstah
Plus, you can always go the seat cover route
Except when your car is equipped with ventilated seats.

Old 09-28-2023, 10:08 AM

*White leather is very hard to match with the repair kits and may (almost always) actually look worse in the attempted repair of scuffing like example of the picture posted. Just an FYI.
*Mazda does not really use "white leather" in their leather interiors the dye formulas is off white. As far as I am aware of the only auto manufactures that ever use a true whit dye formula was American manufactures pre 1980's? But I am only going by memory. Maybe the www has more information I did research the leather dye subject. lol

Old 09-28-2023, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by hsdejong
Several of my racing suits were made of ventilated leather as is my CX-5 seats.
Just requires being more tedious application.

Last edited by Lobstah; 09-28-2023 at 01:37 PM.
Old 09-28-2023, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
*White leather is very hard to match with the repair kits and may (almost always) actually look worse in the attempted repair of scuffing like example of the picture posted. Just an FYI.
*Mazda does not really use "white leather" in their leather interiors the dye formulas is off white. As far as I am aware of the only auto manufactures that ever use a true whit dye formula was American manufactures pre 1980's? But I am only going by memory. Maybe the www has more information I did research the leather dye subject. lol
Matching the color is the most difficult if dyes are needed but sometimes the restoring creams themselves can improve the looks on scuffed leather.
I had an assortment of equipment colors black, white, blue, red and "buckskin".
I wish I had saved my before and after pics (well, not the first few times they looked like crap )
Below are some pics of abrasions/scuffs that have been fixed with kits, but they are not my leathers.
As I said it's not perfect, but it beats seat covers, that in most cases never seem to fit correctly no matter how much you spend on them.
And it's way cheaper than getting the seat recovered.
Then again, we should probably ask what caused the OP's seats to get that scuffed in the first place.
Something they or their kids, pet are doing?
If it's something they are doing, then obviously seat covers are the answer as and repair/replacement will likely just get damaged again.
My carpenter brother-in-law was always tearing up his seats, until suggested he remove his hammer and hammer & holder and any other tools before he jumped into his truck to go get materials.

Old 09-28-2023, 01:41 PM

I did find a pic of my last racing suit back in 2010 while I was on my Ducati.
And yes, I had to repair that several times, my track skills were never as "good" as I thought they were...

Old 09-28-2023, 02:18 PM

you can always go the seat cover route
Originally Posted by hsdejong
Several of my racing suits were made of ventilated leather as is my CX-5 seats. Just requires being more tedious application.
Do you mean you wear your racing suit in your Mazda CX-5 or should you use a seat cover made of ventilated leather (with small holes that align with the holes in the seat)?

Quick Reply: White leather seat scuff repair