Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whine on Deceleration 23 CX5 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2023, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by ZoomZun
Nice soundbar! I totally agree it could be anything and hard to diagnose with any accuracy online. All the other whines that I have seen people report on seem to be when accelerating, but mine is audible when not accelerating, coming from front of car, so confusing! But I think I just need to persist with the dealership and try to get an explanation, I just cannot fathom that sound is normal and in all cx5s, turbo or other.
You may ask if they have a loaner model of your Mazda that you can drive around the area of the dealership and see if you hear the same sound?

Old 10-14-2023, 07:58 PM

Hello! I have been actively perusing the forum since I purchased my cx5 last month. I was hoping someone had some general input on a whine I have been hearing on decel between 40-75 or so. It is a high pitched whine that is quiet, but there consistently since purchase. I know there have been posts about similar sounds, but it seems like with prior posters, their whine was apparent on acceleration. Mine is on decel, or when I am not pushed down on the accelerator. Gears and drive mods, rpms do not seem to matter. When using cruise control it is absent. Dealer took it for a drive and heard the sound, but noted it was normal. Didn’t provide details on what it was though, the acknowledgment of the sound is documented on the service report though. It is not turbo related as far as I can tell, since it can happen when just cruising and puttering around town, as long as it is over 40 mph I wonder what people’s general thoughts are? I did have the car’s alignment fixed as the steering wheel was off center from purchase, this was resolved. Thank you!
I have had the exact same issue with my 23 Turbo since it was new - I'm at nearly 14k miles now. This noise is coming from the transmission caused by an input shaft bearing. At this point I've seen quite a few people with Turbo CX5's having the same issues and only a few of them have had a transmission replacement. Mazda is surely aware of the issue, but at this point we're just numbers.I've taken my car 5 times to the dealer so far as the noise keeps getting worse. The technicians confirmed the noise is coming from the transmission, however Mazda is deeming it as normal operation of the vehicle.

This is beyond disappointing, considering the car has a very distinct high pitched whining noise coming from the transmission during acceleration or deceleration at specific speeds.

I've included some recent recorded videos for reference:

Old 10-15-2023, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by kostas_miata
I have had the exact same issue with my 23 Turbo since it was new - I'm at nearly 14k miles now. This noise is coming from the transmission caused by an input shaft bearing. At this point I've seen quite a few people with Turbo CX5's having the same issues and only a few of them have had a transmission replacement. Mazda is surely aware of the issue, but at this point we're just numbers.I've taken my car 5 times to the dealer so far as the noise keeps getting worse. The technicians confirmed the noise is coming from the transmission, however Mazda is deeming it as normal operation of the vehicle.

This is beyond disappointing, considering the car has a very distinct high pitched whining noise coming from the transmission during acceleration or deceleration at specific speeds.

I've included some recent recorded videos for reference:
The video are not conclusive. Any sound video must be with a device/microphone or other noise recording device attached to the suspected area of the noise. Noises from "ANY" vehicle to the human ear can be very deceiving where they originated from. Ford actually has a diagnostic audio tool for finding and locating noises. Maybe you should contact Ford find a dealership that had that diagnostic tool and make arrangements with your dealership or Mazda to have them diagnosis the exact location of the noise?
As for the snarky comment about MAZDA knowing this and "doing their usual thing", sounds more like sour grapes to me. First there is NO TSB that I am aware of (I looked causally and on ALLData) (besides clearly you have no clue how defects and concerns work with an auto manufacture) NONE found nor is this a common complaint on Mazda forums when you consider the repeated posting info by same people different forums factor from only a few people.
The simple fact is if you report an issue take your vehicle to a dealership your VIN is logged, and the problem is on record with your VIN. You have a full drivetrain warranty so should something happened you covered because it has been reported. By your own words your dealership did not find a problem and Mazda does not call this a issue at this point.

If you feel strongly about your situation start a log, contact the NTSB or trade in your MAZDA for something else!
You can also find a Transmission service with long-standing positive feedback with the BBB and local business information and have them do an evaluation (at your expense) of your transmission! They have the experience and means to finding and knowing what the noise is. Call them in advance and explain your concern in advance.
There are times that even with my level of experience as well a couple of my technicians that we send a customer to a local specialized transmission shop for device before telling the customer it's a BAD TRANSMSISSION".
You can also get an *oil sample analysis (at your expense) to see if there is material in the oil that could indicate a problem. Some noises not common in a transmission design and type are normally friction caused by clearance issues which would cause material to because worn rubbed or broken off and these would show up in the analysis. With the exception of some none metalic material.
Transmission | Blackstone Laboratories (blackstone-labs.com)

To be CLEAR I am not saying that there is NOTHING WRONG with anyone's MAZDA but what I am saying is being negative on a forum gets you nowhere and untrained people really do not know how some complex systems in this case a transmission and related running gear systems work. Until you get it resolved turn your stereo on and wait until MAZDA contacts you. Also going to different dealerships while is suggested at times serves very little because they read the VIN report and are likely to be influenced by the conclusion. If you were badly treated by your dealership, then by all means go find a different dealership to take your business. Remember they are an independently owned business!
Below is a short video of a Mazda engine what sounds wrong?
Answaer NOTHING. These are all normal sounds, but I often get these kinds of videos from forum members and customers saying they "KNOW" something is wrong because of a clicking, ticking whing sound from under their hood. Yet this video below taken from a cell phone and close and far to different parts and their operation sounds like the engine is ready to come apart by the untrained ear!

In the past there has been a few platforms that transmission have made a slight whine during it operation. These were often reported by new owners of those platforms and models. Often these owners came from a totally different platform and type of model and the whine of the transmission was normal. I think some having owned a few of these vehicles knows what I am talking about.

Old 10-15-2023, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Callisto
The video are not conclusive. Any sound video must be with a device/microphone or other noise recording device attached to the suspected area of the noise. Noises from "ANY" vehicle to the human ear can be very deceiving where they originated from. Ford actually has a diagnostic audio tool for finding and locating noises. Maybe you should contact Ford find a dealership that had that diagnostic tool and make arrangements with your dealership or Mazda to have them diagnosis the exact location of the noise?
As for the snarky comment about MAZDA knowing this and "doing their usual thing", sounds more like sour grapes to me. First there is NO TSB that I am aware of (I looked causally and on ALLData) (besides clearly you have no clue how defects and concerns work with an auto manufacture) NONE found nor is this a common complaint on Mazda forums when you consider the repeated posting info by same people different forums factor from only a few people.
The simple fact is if you report an issue take your vehicle to a dealership your VIN is logged, and the problem is on record with your VIN. You have a full drivetrain warranty so should something happened you covered because it has been reported. By your own words your dealership did not find a problem and Mazda does not call this a issue at this point.

If you feel strongly about your situation start a log, contact the NTSB or trade in your MAZDA for something else!
You can also find a Transmission service with long-standing positive feedback with the BBB and local business information and have them do an evaluation (at your expense) of your transmission! They have the experience and means to finding and knowing what the noise is. Call them in advance and explain your concern in advance.
There are times that even with my level of experience as well a couple of my technicians that we send a customer to a local specialized transmission shop for device before telling the customer it's a BAD TRANSMSISSION".
You can also get an *oil sample analysis (at your expense) to see if there is material in the oil that could indicate a problem. Some noises not common in a transmission design and type are normally friction caused by clearance issues which would cause material to because worn rubbed or broken off and these would show up in the analysis. With the exception of some none metalic material.
Transmission | Blackstone Laboratories (blackstone-labs.com)

To be CLEAR I am not saying that there is NOTHING WRONG with anyone's MAZDA but what I am saying is being negative on a forum gets you nowhere and untrained people really do not know how some complex systems in this case a transmission and related running gear systems work. Until you get it resolved turn your stereo on and wait until MAZDA contacts you. Also going to different dealerships while is suggested at times serves very little because they read the VIN report and are likely to be influenced by the conclusion. If you were badly treated by your dealership, then by all means go find a different dealership to take your business. Remember they are an independently owned business!
Below is a short video of a Mazda engine what sounds wrong?
Answaer NOTHING. These are all normal sounds, but I often get these kinds of videos from forum members and customers saying they "KNOW" something is wrong because of a clicking, ticking whing sound from under their hood. Yet this video below taken from a cell phone and close and far to different parts and their operation sounds like the engine is ready to come apart by the untrained ear!

VID 20210803 121551614 - YouTube

In the past there has been a few platforms that transmission have made a slight whine during it operation. These were often reported by new owners of those platforms and models. Often these owners came from a totally different platform and type of model and the whine of the transmission was normal. I think some having owned a few of these vehicles knows what I am talking about.
Your response simply showcases a ‘keyboard warrior’ to me.

As a CX5 Turbo owner I’m simply sharing my experience with the OP, which is being reflected by other turbo owners as well.

Making assumptions about someone’s technical and engineering knowledge, is simply childish without actually knowing their background or occupation. I get the hint of some sort of affiliation with Mazda.

Have a marvellous day!

Old 10-15-2023, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by kostas_miata
Your response simply showcases a ‘keyboard warrior’ to me.

As a CX5 Turbo owner I’m simply sharing my experience with the OP, which is being reflected by other turbo owners as well.

Making assumptions about someone’s technical and engineering knowledge, is simply childish without actually knowing their background or occupation. I get the hint of some sort of affiliation with Mazda.

Have a marvellous day!

No affiliation with MAZDA.... LOL..
In fact I do not offer any of performance engineered aftermarket performance parts for any current or past MAZDA.
But if you are implying that you are an Engineer then perhaps re-read my last response again?
Oh and here is a great thread for you to read and even contribute to? Look forward to reading what you post and maybe some tech talk with you!

What do you do or have done for a living - Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

on a personal observation ..a Miata driver, I should have known. lol

Last edited by Callisto; 10-15-2023 at 10:23 AM.
Old 10-15-2023, 10:25 AM

Removed

Last edited by Callisto; 10-15-2023 at 10:36 AM.
Old 10-15-2023, 04:10 PM

While it is a different platform, there have been reports of differential whine on a lot of MX5's. The cause appears to be the break-in of the differential leaving a lot of particulate matter in the differential fluid and the recommendation is to change the fluid after about the first 3,000 to 6,000 miles of use. Don't know if that is your problem or if there is any correlation across platforms, but it couldn't hurt to look at the fluids.

Old 10-17-2023, 03:29 PM

Interesting, maybe, update! It looks like if I shift into Neutral while the car is in the "whine zone", the sound disappears until I put it back into gear. The car drives totally fine otherwise, but I wonder if this narrows down to what the issue could be, or just confirm it is a normal operating sound. Either way I will be bringing it to the dealership to see what they say, car is great otherwise!

Old 10-17-2023, 03:37 PM

Interesting, maybe, update! It looks like if I shift into Neutral while the car is in the "whine zone", the sound disappears until I put it back into gear. The car drives totally fine otherwise, but I wonder if this narrows down to what the issue could be, or just confirm it is a normal operating sound. Either way I will be bringing it to the dealership to see what they say, car is great otherwise!
Probably means that it's not likely to be the differentials since they will turn when the wheels are turning.

Old 10-17-2023, 03:38 PM

This is not anyway conclusive or a way to trouble shoot a Mazda automatic transmission or drivetrain noises when the model is equip with an automatic transmission. You may reconsider this procedure because of what is not happening in the transmission while at speed and popping it up into neutral.

If it were a manual transmission, then maybe depending on the platform year and model??????

Last edited by Callisto; 10-17-2023 at 03:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Whine on Deceleration 23 CX5 turbo