Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Whine on Deceleration 23 CX5 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2023, 11:45 PM
Default Whine on Deceleration 23 CX5 turbo

Hello! I have been actively perusing the forum since I purchased my cx5 last month. I was hoping someone had some general input on a whine I have been hearing on decel between 40-75 or so. It is a high pitched whine that is quiet, but there consistently since purchase. I know there have been posts about similar sounds, but it seems like with prior posters, their whine was apparent on acceleration. Mine is on decel, or when I am not pushed down on the accelerator. Gears and drive mods, rpms do not seem to matter. When using cruise control it is absent. Dealer took it for a drive and heard the sound, but noted it was normal. Didn’t provide details on what it was though, the acknowledgment of the sound is documented on the service report though. It is not turbo related as far as I can tell, since it can happen when just cruising and puttering around town, as long as it is over 40 mph I wonder what people’s general thoughts are? I did have the car’s alignment fixed as the steering wheel was off center from purchase, this was resolved. Thank you!

Old 10-14-2023, 10:40 AM

Sounds and owners on forums seldom get the description right and almost NEVER get where the sound was coming form.
My strong suggestion your Mazda is under warranty go to MAZDA and if the test ride does not hear what your concern is go with the test driver and let them know when you hear it exactly!

ASE

Old 10-14-2023, 10:40 AM

Welcome to the forum

Old 10-14-2023, 11:11 AM

Thanks for your response Callisto! I should have noted in my original post the sound seems to be coming from the front of the car, at least when I hear it driving. The tech who drove it did hear the sound, but just noted that it was a normal sound with no details beyond that. I have attached a video to hopefully help! Car drives fine, but the sound itself is hard to ignore, I just can’t fathom that a droning whine is normal as the tech says.

Attached Files
File Type: mov
img-1711_ldsa934s.mov (18.33 MB, 87276 views)
Old 10-14-2023, 11:21 AM

Your video is to large.

try a different format like you tube or edit and shorten it?

Old 10-14-2023, 12:06 PM

Sorry about that, this should work!

Old 10-14-2023, 12:38 PM

I can't hear anything. Sounds like wind noise, thats all.

Old 10-14-2023, 12:57 PM

Gotta crank the sound up! It is a whine, almost electric like a jet turbine in a plane on top of the road noise, I have to put the volume to about max on my iPhone to hear it well in the recording.

Old 10-14-2023, 01:32 PM

LOL I playd it through my Nakamichi Shockwave Elite 7.2.4 Channel 800W Dolby Atmos/DTS:X Soundbar with Dual 8” Subwoofers I am not kidding either
Ok so its like the dozen or more videos that are sent to me monthly by forums members and even my own shop customers.....
There must be a medical term like "auto hypochondriaphobia" (made up word) lol

No one can really do anything except start "guessing" what sound is in that video.
That small whine can be almost anything, but I can say as I think it is a concern at this point. You Mazda is under warranty and your VIN now should have a record of its history regarding your concern when you took it to the dealership. It may be prudent because of your concern to make sure your VIN has it reported?

I should post a video of my blower motor on full....

Last edited by Callisto; 10-14-2023 at 01:36 PM.
Old 10-14-2023, 02:07 PM

Nice soundbar! I totally agree it could be anything and hard to diagnose with any accuracy online. All the other whines that I have seen people report on seem to be when accelerating, but mine is audible when not accelerating, coming from front of car, so confusing! But I think I just need to persist with the dealership and try to get an explanation, I just cannot fathom that sound is normal and in all cx5s, turbo or other.

Quick Reply: Whine on Deceleration 23 CX5 turbo