Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda CX-5 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-cx-5-54/)
-   -   What's your favorite thing about your CX-5? (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-cx-5-54/whats-your-favorite-thing-about-your-cx-5-a-40951/)

AZCX5 07-11-2022 09:43 PM

Have another fav feature. I have never has a car with ventilated/cooled seats. After having to spend some time in Phoenix this summer, especially today at 117 F, I now know why luxury cars have them.

GAsierra 07-14-2022 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by AZCX5 (Post 206333)
Have another fav feature. I have never has a car with ventilated/cooled seats. After having to spend some time in Phoenix this summer, especially today at 117 F, I now know why luxury cars have them.

Love the vented leathers. Word of warning, though: don't use saddle soap to clean the leather; just don't. Fiebing's stuff works great, but the dang holes get mildly plugged with the soap. Argghghgh! (Oops. Yeah, well. Live and learn. Clearly, my first vented leather seats. :o)

AZCX5 07-14-2022 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by GAsierra (Post 206392)
Love the vented leathers. Word of warning, though: don't use saddle soap to clean the leather; just don't. Fiebing's stuff works great, but the dang holes get mildly plugged with the soap. Argghghgh! (Oops. Yeah, well. Live and learn. Clearly, my first vented leather seats. :o)

Nope, saddle soap isn't the best for these seats. Lexol cleaner/conditioner works great and won't clog the holes. Wonder how you learned about saddle soap :D

GAsierra 07-14-2022 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by AZCX5 (Post 206398)
Nope, saddle soap isn't the best for these seats. Lexol cleaner/conditioner works great and won't clog the holes. Wonder how you learned about saddle soap :D

Works great on various leathers, rejuvenating where there's a lot of old oils, skin stuff, general crud. Indeed, the Lexol pair (cleaner, then conditioner) are far better.

Fiebing's saddle soap is a wonder. Just the devil's own self-induced predicament, if attempting to use on perforated leather seats.

Though, I did find an entirely new use for small finishing nails. Very useful, for such situations. Poke ... poke ... poke ..., even three days later, to get the ones I missed the first time around.

AZCX5 07-14-2022 11:42 AM

As they say, no good deed goes unpunished. At least you were able to have an up close and personal experience with your car seats ;)

GAsierra 07-14-2022 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by AZCX5 (Post 206400)
As they say, no good deed goes unpunished. At least you were able to have an up close and personal experience with your car seats ;)

Or, as was often said when I was growing up: "Murphy's watching," or "Murphy has 'eyes'."

The ludicrous thing is, I practically had to reach over the bottle of Lexol to get to the can of Fiebing's. Go figure. Murphy was watching, that day, and chuckling the rest of the week.

AZCX5 07-14-2022 01:50 PM

Something else that is excellent for dry leather is Leather Honey. Goes on as a thick, honey-like liquid that is left on overnight so it is absorbed into the leather, then wiped off. Best if car can "heat up" inside overnight, so leave windows up or park it outside during the day. Not nearly as thick as saddle soap so won't clog holes or pores in the leather.

GAsierra 07-14-2022 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by AZCX5 (Post 206403)
Something else that is excellent for dry leather is Leather Honey. Goes on as a thick, honey-like liquid that is left on overnight so it is absorbed into the leather, then wiped off. Best if car can "heat up" inside overnight, so leave windows up or park it outside during the day. Not nearly as thick as saddle soap so won't clog holes or pores in the leather.

For conditioning, I've used Neatsfoot Oil. Applied to a clean leather ... apply a modest amount, then once it's soaked in apply another modest amount. (Say, one seat at a time, then wait awhile.) Wiping off prior to using the seat. Works its way into the leather and does its magic. Applied regularly, can help preserve and maintain the soft feel and performance of a seat's leather upholstery.