Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda CX-5 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-cx-5-54/)
-   -   What's your favorite thing about your CX-5? (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-cx-5-54/whats-your-favorite-thing-about-your-cx-5-a-40951/)

hiltoncam 11-24-2018 12:47 PM

What's your favorite thing about your CX-5?

Hey guys, I recently did a video about my 5 favorite things about my Mazda CX-5. What are YOUR favorite things?

montanaman 12-24-2018 09:31 PM

I wish I could have my volume knob on that side of the console. easier reach to the most used dial on the car.

hiltoncam 12-26-2018 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by montanaman (Post 171692)
I wish I could have my volume knob on that side of the console. easier reach to the most used dial on the car.

You can, just buy the console with for the RHD version, and move your volume switch and other switches to the other side.

Detroit1 12-27-2018 05:20 AM

I really like the brake hold option. We live in a heavy traffic area with lights every few blocks that are long enough to listen to a complete song.

Also enjoy using the cruise control with option to set distance and auto brake if necessary.

Have a friend that just bought a new Lexus ES and he was very surprised at all the options we have on our Grand touring.

Jiim

Arkainzeye 12-31-2018 11:00 AM

i just used the brake hold option recently and i thought to myself.. WOW this is a really cool feature.. i also found out by accident that i can fast forward and rewind places in a song VIA mp3 using the BIG console nob.. i love that as well.. i couldnt do that with my chevy malibu ... but for me my FAV is the HEAD UP DISPLAY.... i never even look at my dashboard as i dont need to, everything i need including gps info is in my windshield.!

nickndfl 12-31-2018 07:01 PM

Most reliable and durable vehicle ever among 25 units over 40 years. Beats Honda hands down.

Puyapim 12-31-2018 07:46 PM

Another vote for the HUD.

John451 02-04-2019 03:24 PM

Engaging handling for a CUV, premium feeling interior compaired to previous Subarus.

hiltoncam 02-07-2019 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by John451 (Post 172747)
Engaging handling for a CUV, premium feeling interior compaired to previous Subarus.

Yeah, I hear you. I also like the drive. It handles like its on rails and although the ride is firm, it feels like my Jaguar XF on steroids and feels just as upmarket which says alot!

3carmonte 02-07-2019 12:23 PM

Something not to like...

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.maz...10ce8b5724.jpg
Watch out for the point on this corner with the hood raised!
I have a nice wound on my forehead from reaching for leaves in the gutter with the hood raised yesterday...

hiltoncam 02-08-2019 03:51 AM

Ouch. And I just did a video on fitting hood struts to the CX-5 - goes live later today on YouTube - luckily I haven't hit my head yet, but will never forget this advice as that particular corner grabbed my attention while looking at the design of the front of the car and why the hood bends out instead of in at that point.

pcardoza 02-08-2019 06:16 AM

After only 3 days with my GTR, commuting to just outside of Boston, I'm loving the ACC and how well it performs.

schmieg 02-08-2019 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by hiltoncam (Post 172811)
Ouch. And I just did a video on fitting hood struts to the CX-5 - goes live later today on YouTube - luckily I haven't hit my head yet, but will never forget this advice as that particular corner grabbed my attention while looking at the design of the front of the car and why the hood bends out instead of in at that point.

If you fit struts to an MX5, you have to watch that you don't get hit in the chin as that light, aluminum hood will jump right up by itself with the struts.

dunk50 02-12-2019 10:28 AM

Turning circle / maneuverability coming from a Sienna Van

hiltoncam 02-20-2019 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by montanaman (Post 171692)

If you want, you could get a center control panel for RHD and install it - the plug is identical and the clips are too - then the knob is on the left side of the car where YOU want it.

If you check out this video - you will see how to remove that center panel where the volume knob sits:

Just skip to 0:48 minutes and you'll see how

RVelle 02-22-2019 12:09 PM

Heads up display is by far my favorite

Raprider 01-06-2020 10:43 PM

I know this is an old thread, but since I'm new to the CX-5...I love the Auto-Dim headlights in our 2016 GT!!!
I drive a lot of back country roads and flicking the high beams on and off can get tedious.

Gerald Mucci 01-07-2020 07:13 AM

Radar backup sensors

We even have a mobility scooter mounted on the back of the vehicle and the backup safety warning still works perfectly. Love also the other many semi autonomous features like the adaptive cruise and auto accelerate, even from a dead stop.

Chris! 01-07-2020 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by John451 (Post 172747)

Exactly, I owned three Outbacks before my CX-5, they were fine but the CX-5 was an eye opener. I have had fewer, no problems actually, compared to my Subarus.

Raprider 01-08-2020 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Gerald Mucci (Post 180034)
We even have a mobility scooter mounted on the back of the vehicle and the backup safety warning still works perfectly.

Gerard...is this done via a standard hitch mount and ramp or a pulley system or other config? Would like to see a couple pics if you don't mind...dad is getting older, ya know!

Mazdagus 10-27-2021 02:37 PM

Video on hood struts cx5 2021

Originally Posted by schmieg (Post 172827)
If you fit struts to an MX5, you have to watch that you don't get hit in the chin as that light, aluminum hood will jump right up by itself with the struts.

hi, where is the video on front hood struts?
also do u have link to the strut purchase site.
thank you

schmieg 10-27-2021 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mazdagus (Post 198998)
thank you

It's been several years since I put mine on the CX5 and MX5, but I think I got them on EBay.

AZCX5 10-27-2021 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mazdagus (Post 198998)
thank you

Have these, very good quality and easy install.

http://www.redlinetuning.com

Search for Mazda CX-5 Hood QuickLIFT PLUS

GAsierra 10-28-2021 03:12 AM

What's your favorite thing about your CX-5?
2016.5 CX-5 GT AWD, here.

For the format (a "baby" SUV): it's a good amount of flexible space, above that of a typical sedan, but without over-doing it.

For the CX-5: it's fairly well-appointed and quiet, with full marks for simple reliability and relatively low cost of maintenance.

JMO

Chris! 10-28-2021 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Raprider (Post 180024)
I know this is an old thread, but since I'm new to the CX-5...I love the Auto-Dim headlights in our 2016 GT!!!
I drive a lot of back country roads and flicking the high beams on and off can get tedious.

Same here, rural roads, and the the lights even dim when you come up on someone from behind. Nice feature.

Sojourner55 11-04-2021 03:15 PM

Redline are the best.

Mazdagus 11-04-2021 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by GAsierra (Post 199017)
2016.5 CX-5 GT AWD, here.

For the format (a "baby" SUV): it's a good amount of flexible space, above that of a typical sedan, but without over-doing it.

For the CX-5: it's fairly well-appointed and quiet, with full marks for simple reliability and relatively low cost of maintenance.

JMO

So any issues with the turbo etc? That's my biggest concern. How many clicks are these Mazda good for? My toyota ran for 350k and no issues whatsoever. My first Mazda cx5 turbo 2021.5 model. Will it last as long?

Mazdagus 11-04-2021 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by AZCX5 (Post 199009)
Have these, very good quality and easy install.

http://www.redlinetuning.com

Search for Mazda CX-5 Hood QuickLIFT PLUS

front hood bonnet lifts/struts. Yes the Redline model is much superior, but double the price at $120 US. The Chinese ones, are $50 Canadian. Not as nice because they only have one bolt holding the hood.
A utube video as shows a chap installing genuine Mazda struts, but i can't find them here online. Thanks for the tip i will install in summer.

AZCX5 11-04-2021 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Mazdagus (Post 199153)
front hood bonnet lifts/struts. Yes the Redline model is much superior, but double the price at $120 US. The Chinese ones, are $50 Canadian. Not as nice because they only have one bolt holding the hood.
A utube video as shows a chap installing genuine Mazda struts, but i can't find them here online. Thanks for the tip i will install in summer.

They are more expensive, but the quality is very high. I'm not a fan of hood struts failing while I'm under the hood working on my cars. You can buy a cheaper set and just use the mounting hardware and then just buy struts, But you won't really save much vs the complete Redline set. I believe Mazda no longer sells hood struts, couldn't find them anywhere on-line..

AZCX5 11-04-2021 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mazdagus (Post 199152)
So any issues with the turbo etc? That's my biggest concern. How many clicks are these Mazda good for? My toyota ran for 350k and no issues whatsoever. My first Mazda cx5 turbo 2021.5 model. Will it last as long?

If you search around the forums you'll find very few comments about turbo-related issues. It's a Japanese car so expect very good reliability and durability. There are some threads about high mileage cars. Although, I suspect that some of the newer cars won't be as reliable as earlier cars due to all the high-tech stuff on them, just more electronics to fail.

AZCX5 07-11-2022 09:43 PM

Have another fav feature. I have never has a car with ventilated/cooled seats. After having to spend some time in Phoenix this summer, especially today at 117 F, I now know why luxury cars have them.

GAsierra 07-14-2022 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by AZCX5 (Post 206333)
Have another fav feature. I have never has a car with ventilated/cooled seats. After having to spend some time in Phoenix this summer, especially today at 117 F, I now know why luxury cars have them.

Love the vented leathers. Word of warning, though: don't use saddle soap to clean the leather; just don't. Fiebing's stuff works great, but the dang holes get mildly plugged with the soap. Argghghgh! (Oops. Yeah, well. Live and learn. Clearly, my first vented leather seats. :o)

AZCX5 07-14-2022 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by GAsierra (Post 206392)
Love the vented leathers. Word of warning, though: don't use saddle soap to clean the leather; just don't. Fiebing's stuff works great, but the dang holes get mildly plugged with the soap. Argghghgh! (Oops. Yeah, well. Live and learn. Clearly, my first vented leather seats. :o)

Nope, saddle soap isn't the best for these seats. Lexol cleaner/conditioner works great and won't clog the holes. Wonder how you learned about saddle soap :D

GAsierra 07-14-2022 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by AZCX5 (Post 206398)
Nope, saddle soap isn't the best for these seats. Lexol cleaner/conditioner works great and won't clog the holes. Wonder how you learned about saddle soap :D

Works great on various leathers, rejuvenating where there's a lot of old oils, skin stuff, general crud. Indeed, the Lexol pair (cleaner, then conditioner) are far better.

Fiebing's saddle soap is a wonder. Just the devil's own self-induced predicament, if attempting to use on perforated leather seats.

Though, I did find an entirely new use for small finishing nails. Very useful, for such situations. Poke ... poke ... poke ..., even three days later, to get the ones I missed the first time around.

AZCX5 07-14-2022 11:42 AM

As they say, no good deed goes unpunished. At least you were able to have an up close and personal experience with your car seats ;)

GAsierra 07-14-2022 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by AZCX5 (Post 206400)
As they say, no good deed goes unpunished. At least you were able to have an up close and personal experience with your car seats ;)

Or, as was often said when I was growing up: "Murphy's watching," or "Murphy has 'eyes'."

The ludicrous thing is, I practically had to reach over the bottle of Lexol to get to the can of Fiebing's. Go figure. Murphy was watching, that day, and chuckling the rest of the week.

AZCX5 07-14-2022 01:50 PM

Something else that is excellent for dry leather is Leather Honey. Goes on as a thick, honey-like liquid that is left on overnight so it is absorbed into the leather, then wiped off. Best if car can "heat up" inside overnight, so leave windows up or park it outside during the day. Not nearly as thick as saddle soap so won't clog holes or pores in the leather.

GAsierra 07-14-2022 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by AZCX5 (Post 206403)
Something else that is excellent for dry leather is Leather Honey. Goes on as a thick, honey-like liquid that is left on overnight so it is absorbed into the leather, then wiped off. Best if car can "heat up" inside overnight, so leave windows up or park it outside during the day. Not nearly as thick as saddle soap so won't clog holes or pores in the leather.

For conditioning, I've used Neatsfoot Oil. Applied to a clean leather ... apply a modest amount, then once it's soaked in apply another modest amount. (Say, one seat at a time, then wait awhile.) Wiping off prior to using the seat. Works its way into the leather and does its magic. Applied regularly, can help preserve and maintain the soft feel and performance of a seat's leather upholstery.