Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

USB and Aux greyed out

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 11:02 PM

yes the vehicle is still under warranty, but I was hoping to find a solution on this forum. I will take it up with the dealer. thanks for time and effort.

Old 06-04-2019, 12:24 PM
Default A way to ungray USB1

I have a 2017 CX-5 Touring. Yesterday I was looking for ways to play Sirius other than through phone Bluetooth, which works but I don't want to use data. I haven't used the USB because it was grayed, but plugged my phone into USB1 and, after loading for a long while, it started playing classical music. I don't know if the database I found was from the phone or the car itself - I haven't loaded music into this phone that I know of. But anyway once it was done loading, the USB1 came ungrayed. USB2 hadn't responded to this attempt so would try USB1 if you're trying to find an input for phone or other devices. It's the more forward of the 2 USB inputs in the glovebox.

Update on using Sirius portable player: I was able to ungrey the AUX area by plugging the Sirius player audio cable into the audio input in the glovebox. So whatever player you're trying to use, plug it into the glovebox audio input and you'll hear it through your speakers. This is the type of cable you need: https://smile.amazon.com/Auxiliary-A...tronics&sr=1-3 Once plugged in at both ends, scroll down and choose the AUX channel on your sound system to be able to hear it. It's all the way down the list that starts with FM. It only ungreys when you have the audio cable plugged in here.

Last edited by nightbird7; 06-28-2019 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Update
Old 06-20-2019, 01:54 AM

I had the problem of greyed_out , both the usb and the iPod. I took the car back to the dealers and they resolved the issue within a few minutes. The iPod is an earlier model ( although it did work at first, then greyed out, this is normal behavior, and only later models Ipod's will work.) this was resolved via buying a $5 dollar double earplug cord (aux) and therefore going from Ipod to the cars speakers. At the same time leave it plugged in to the usb to keep the charge up.
As for the the greyed out usb when a usb is connected, Make sure the the usb is formatted in the acceptable format which is FAT32. The wrong formatting may happen if using a Mac which will deflaut automatically to the Mac setting but it does give you the option to choice other formatting such as FAT32 ( which is compatible formatting for both MAC and WINDOWS)
My dealer is MAWSON LAKES MAZDA ,South Australia, they gave me excellent advise and service and I would recommend them 100% .

Old 02-10-2023, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by kremlon
Hey everybody, we just bought a 2018 CX-5 (new to us) and we love it. The only issue i'm having is with the infotainment system...specifically when I go to audio sources and try to scroll down to USB1 or USB 2 or Aux... the wheel won't let me scroll down that far. I can use the touchscreen, but those three options are grayed out. I did a search but all i found was an old thread that basically said "take to dealer under warranty" and our 5 has 38k miles, so warranty won't be an option.

Anybody experience this before? Any ideas?

Thanks
Matt
I am having the same issue, (greyed out), cannot select.

BShort

Old 02-10-2023, 02:58 PM
BWJ

Try this.you can reset CMU without turning off the ignition by pressing the following button combination and holding it for 10 seconds: BACK + MUTE + NAV

The infotainment screen will go black then display the Mazda logo as the unit finishes rebooting.

Old 02-11-2023, 07:15 PM
Default USB Greyed out

Originally Posted by BShort
I am having the same issue, (greyed out), cannot select.

BShort
I found out my issue was with the file system. Apparently Mazda hasn't caught up with technology yet as the do not support USB 3 yet. Also, they cannot support exFAT FORMAT either. I had to re-format my USB drive to FAT32, then put the mp3's on the drive.

BShort