Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tyre Pressure Monitoring System

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2022, 05:58 PM
Default Tyre Pressure Monitoring System

I was quite disappointed to find that the tyre pressure monitoring system in my top spec Australian CX 5 is really just a low pressure alert that doesn't even identify the low tyre let alone the actual tyre pressure like my 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee did.

Since many owners don't appear to even check their engine oil level between dealer services I doubt that many owners would be bothered to regularly check their tyre pressures whe3 one low front tyre could severley impair both handling and braking.

As I have been known to drive fairly enthusiastically on occasion I wonder does any member knows the tyre pressure that causes a dash alert as the owners manual has no information about the alert pressure.

I am going to live forever,
So far, so good

Last edited by RalphG; 06-19-2022 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Add date of Jeep
Old 06-19-2022, 11:29 PM

Out of curiosity- did you not notice this before purchase? It is silly the car doesn't have it but it is what it is. I understand the new CX-50 shows individual pressures. You can get something like this: https://smile.amazon.com/Wireless-Pr...1LA8LL12&psc=1

Old 06-20-2022, 04:25 PM

I test drove a lower spec CX 5 before we were sheduled to move from New South Wales to Queensland. Since we were moving from a 240 acre property to 2000 metre (around 2/3 acre) property we had 3 month back-to-back contracts for the sale and purchase of the properties to allow for slae of tractors, quads and other fgarm equipment before the move and intended to driv our Jeep to Queensland and buy our new car there to avoid the hassle of registration and insurance transfers.

In the event the Queensland government closed their border due to Covid and the only way in was to fly in and enter 14 days hotel room quarantine after geting Queensland permission to enter their State.

Since the location of our new property has no public transport other than school buses we had to by our CX 5 whilst in hotel quarantine.

Old 06-20-2022, 07:57 PM

I check my tire pressure once a month and before every long trip.
That said, mine came on around 38-40-psi several times.
Then I found the nail..

Old 06-21-2022, 04:38 PM

Thanks for that information Lobstah. I must confess that I am not enthralled with a potential difference in tyre pressures at the front but I guess that I am fairly diligent with checking tyre pressures anyway. When I get access to a decent compressor I may trial letting each tyre down to see if there any differences in the alert pressure for each wheel. This should tell me if each tyre has an independent pressure sensor or if the pressure value is sent to the monitoring CPU.

Ralph

Old 06-21-2022, 05:21 PM

I found this in the manual.
The tire pressure sensors installed on each wheel send tire pressure data by radio signal to the receiver unit in the vehicle.
As an added safety feature, your vehicle has been equipped with a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) that illuminates a low tire pressure telltale when one or more of your tires is
significantly under-inflated. Please note that the TPMS is not a substitute for proper tire maintenance, and it is the driver's responsibility to maintain correct tire pressure, even if under-inflation has not reached the level to trigger illumination of the TPMS low tire pressure telltale.
By this description in the manual, it's likely I misread my low tire pressure. I would tend to believe significantly under-inflated would be 1/2 or less of the normal PSI or around 25 PSI. Not sure what happens to that warming system when you run tires with higher pressures than stock tires. Perhaps the system is checking all tires and only illuminates when one gets significantly lower than the others????

Old 06-21-2022, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Lobstah
I found this in the manual.
The tire pressure sensors installed on each wheel send tire pressure data by radio signal to the receiver unit in the vehicle.
As an added safety feature, your vehicle has been equipped with a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) that illuminates a low tire pressure telltale when one or more of your tires is
significantly under-inflated. Please note that the TPMS is not a substitute for proper tire maintenance, and it is the driver's responsibility to maintain correct tire pressure, even if under-inflation has not reached the level to trigger illumination of the TPMS low tire pressure telltale.
By this description in the manual, it's likely I misread my low tire pressure. I would tend to believe significantly under-inflated would be 1/2 or less of the normal PSI or around 25 PSI. Not sure what happens to that warming system when you run tires with higher pressures than stock tires. Perhaps the system is checking all tires and only illuminates when one gets significantly lower than the others????
Is 25 psi the stated pressure on your door panel? Mine is 36 psi for the 19" tires.

Old 06-21-2022, 11:27 PM

Hi Mike,
My tyres are, like yours, required to be inflated to 36 psi and whilst I have read the owners manual exhaustively I cannot find any indication of what significantly means. It could be anything from 10 to 50 per cent. Whilst I have never had any trouble sensing a low pressure tyre with rear wheel drive vehicles I am not sure about that with front wheel drive vehicles..

Ralph

Old 06-22-2022, 05:31 AM

Didn't know it was posted there, I'll have to look.
Maybe mind isn't playing tricks on me as I thought it came on when my 19" tire was at around 38 psi
Thanks

Old 06-22-2022, 06:17 AM
Super Moderator

From my vast experience on Mazda's, a drop of 8-10psi from you set pressure will trigger the TPMS warning light.

Quick Reply: Tyre Pressure Monitoring System