Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

TSB re 2021 Mazdas

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2022, 05:06 PM

LOL seems pointless trying to correct some people.. ctbale you response has a few inaccurate points. I could give examples of safety recalls and dozens of MAZDA TSBs that are more concern then this threads TSB that keeps getting updated information with no real confirmed information. Whats the point neither you or chick are in the service business and apparently not affected by this in the first place? I on the other hand have already gotten a call from a customer and having looked at his MAZDA model in the "MAY" effect TSB category with 29k miles is NOT having any oil problems. LOL
My local MADA dealership (3) having friends' in all of them in the service department say because this premature information on the internet see no less than 2 MAZDA's a week now and have yet to have the actual oil problem associated with the TSB. hmmm maybe that "MAY" word again.... LOL I have asked them should they actually get one to let me examine the valve stem seals they remove. If I get any I will post what I find. This is again back to if you completely under what a valve stem seal does and how it is installed as well works I am still the wait and see just how many overall cases re replaced before MAZDA even gives this issu a second look. There is more issues with a BCM and even that TSB and safety recal has the wording "MAY" in it. But as that has to do with safety MADA has at least issued a safety recall to replace it for free. Thats is one of several example if one really looks into TSB and replacement of parts. LOL

On a side note I have never personally seen defective valve stem seals in the amount indicated by the TSB? The engines have at least to assembly plants that I know of so that makes the odds of both plants and randomly using valve stem seals that are on an assembly line and loaded from a large container defective on any single engine pretty astronomical odds.. I have literally sold and installed thousands of valve stem seals and never once gotten a complete box of defect valve stem seals? There is always the case were one does not have a spring or damaged from packaging etc, but not a complete set! I have seen incorrect valve stem seals in stalled on the wrong size valve. If the person installs them without checking them after the install and they think it fit because the box said they were the correct size if the installer did not measure them first then after a few hundred miles of maybe a few thousand miles they may have oil control issues. On performance engine this can happen almost the first time you buzz the engine up to 6-8 grand. So my point is I think there is more that needs to be learned about the TSB related information before there is any conclusion of anything!! I want to reiterate I am not saying any conclusion I am only saying that the TSB did not indicate any absolutions only a service procedure that is currently being done to hopefully resolve some MADA owner oil problem. Now if someone read anywhere that that TSB said definitely was the solution to correct the problem I would like to see what I missed. But as long as that word "MAY" is attached to that TSB no one has concluded anything YET!

Last edited by Callisto; 10-15-2022 at 05:14 PM.
Old 10-16-2022, 07:33 AM

Interesting back and forth, but my eyes are staring to glaze (sorry, but I am a really old geezer). My deepest concern is: any clues that this problem continues with the new 2023 model year?

Old 10-16-2022, 08:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SCMike
Interesting back and forth, but my eyes are staring to glaze (sorry, but I am a really old geezer). My deepest concern is: any clues that this problem continues with the new 2023 model year?
I'm sure you're not the only ones eyes that are glazing over. This other member really makes it difficult to actually find the good information. Bottom line if your car was built after September 2021 there's no issue. If your car falls outside of the VIN range the oil consumption TSBs do not apply. Per the TSB it only applies to cars that were made during an 11-month period

Last edited by ctbale; 10-16-2022 at 09:58 PM.
Old 10-16-2022, 10:18 AM
Banned

Facebook Post
https://www.facebook.com/groups/340864355997382/permalink/5485871811496585/?app=fbl
This master mazda tech sure has great info. If your car falls within the VIN range I would definitely take the 17 minutes and listen to his video. It's kind of hard to hear but this guy is real world not some "internet keyboard warrior troll"

Old 10-16-2022, 08:12 PM

I watched the video. He references a P250 code. The check oil came on (but wasn't 'low') and ours didn't throw the code. I checked with snap-on gear before going to dealership. Now I understand why the dealership overfilled her car's oil. I truly hate this. I love my Mazda '91 B2600i, but this CX-5 must go. All I wanted to do is buy my wife the car the loved.

Old 10-16-2022, 08:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tidentenn
I watched the video. He references a P250 code. The check oil came on (but wasn't 'low') and ours didn't throw the code. I checked with snap-on gear before going to dealership. Now I understand why the dealership overfilled her car's oil. I truly hate this. I love my Mazda '91 B2600i, but this CX-5 must go. All I wanted to do is buy my wife the car the loved.
I'm not sure what the code is but it has to be the "low engine oil level" code. Apparently it doesn't matter, per the tsb, how the oil level got low, as long as it didn't "leak" from the exterior of the engine. If you go to a quick lube and they put in 3.5 qts your gunna get the code you need..... for example. I just looked at the tsb. Its P250F:00

He also said that Mazda's only letting the dealerships do two of these repairs per week. Understandable cuz if all the cars made in those 11 months need it it'll swap the dealerships

Old 10-16-2022, 08:50 PM

No code for us. Oil Light stayed on a few minutes. By the time my wife called me it was off...the dipstick level the next morning was ~1/3 above MIN to MAX. Plenty of oil present. Mazda needs to own this mistake. My local dealership seems clueless. They claim to have never seen the TSB last year. I had a copy in my hand.

Last edited by tidentenn; 10-16-2022 at 08:57 PM.
Old 10-16-2022, 09:52 PM
Banned

No code for us. Oil Light stayed on a few minutes. By the time my wife called me it was off...the dipstick level the next morning was ~1/3 above MIN to MAX. Plenty of oil present. Mazda needs to own this mistake. My local dealership seems clueless. They claim to have never seen the TSB last year. I had a copy in my hand.
If you got the light, the code is stored in the ecu. The Mazda Facebook technician stated that also. He says that's one thing about Mazdas is they're really good about tracking and storing the codes. So you have that code stored in the ecu. As long as nobody cleared it. I don't trust the dealerships, if it was me I'd go to AutoZone and have them pull the code take a picture of it on your phone then do NOT clear it, then present it to the Mazda dealer telling them that you have a picture of the code and you know it's in there. Some people might actually just drain a quart out of their engine to make the code set. Thats one way to get bad seals out of an engine. Means to an end

Old 10-17-2022, 07:00 AM

Before we went to the dealer, I scanned (foxwell NT201) and it claimed no codes present. Roger that on means to an end.

Old 10-17-2022, 07:18 AM
Banned

Before we went to the dealer, I scanned (foxwell NT201) and it claimed no codes present. Roger that on means to an end.
Yep! The only criteria for the Mazda dealership to perform the maintenance per the tsp are the engine is low on the dipstick and the code is set. Which is kind of crazy because like I said before a jiffy lube guy could put in three quarts of oil drive it to the dealer and boom..... satisfies the requirement

Quick Reply: TSB re 2021 Mazdas