Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TIRE RECOMMENDATIONS for 2018 CX-5 GT

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2021, 01:12 PM
Question TIRE RECOMMENDATIONS for 2018 CX-5 GT

Hey All,

I'm at 47k miles on my 2018 CX-5 GT (all driven by me) and it's almost time for a net set of tires. I drive about 18K miles a year with a mix of city and highway in the Massachusetts area. So, weather and poor road conditions are always a factor. I want something with longer warrantee, dependability, comfort, but can also handle snow/ice (I know nothing compares to real snow tires).

I've seen a few good options with my own research. Does anyone have recommendations on specific All-season brands/models? What have people been purchasing for the CX-5?

Thanks!

Old 02-11-2021, 02:02 PM
Thumbs up

Here's one option for a tire that'll give you great wintry grip along with (claimed) long-lasting tread life for all-year use.

I've posted this basic info previously, but for a new-to-me 2016.5 CX-5 GT AWD that I recently installed new set of tires.

Nokian WR G4 SUV in 235/55VR19 106 XL -- Highly recommended.

3-peak mountain severe-winter rated. 600AA / 60Kmi UTQG tread life warranty. Available for a variety of rim diameters (including 17", 18" and 19" that are common with the CX-5). Nokian calls them their "all-weather" tire (not snow+ice, but distinctly more winter-capable than a typical decent "all-season").

Have a bit over 1Kmi on them, so far. Weather has been a mix of 50ºF+ days and sub-freezing days. Some nights and early mornings below 20ºF. Wintry "mix" of freezing rain, sleet, ice and snow. The past couple of weeks have been fairly dangerous driving, around my area. But these tires have handled everything without any issues whatsoever. Quite comfortable. Definitely lower noise than the nearly-new set of Continental TrueContact Tour tires that came on the car when I purchased it.

Have had them for a few minutes over 100mph on the highway, as well, and they're stable and relatively quiet.

Nokian is known for their Hakkapeliitta line of snow+ice tires. These WR G4's are 3-peak severe-winter rated. While not quite the grip of the Hakkas, their grip is head and shoulders above every other "all-season" I have ever used in 40+ years of driving in all weather. Very capable grip even on a completely ice-covered hill (~9-10% grade at steepest). Very capable grip on snow, snow "marbles" (sleet + freezing rain mixed), and slushy crud frozen in place. Seems to handle a good amount of standing water (from rain) really well, too.

EDIT, to update notes on ice performance: Well, there have been a couple of bad icy days, lately, slightly melting then re-freezing overnight, with temps staying fairly cold. Ice grip has plummeted, as the conditions have become straight ice without any snow or crust on top. Still safe, but I'm having to use the throttle, brake and steering very gingerly. Unsurprising, as they're not studded. Thankfully, nasty ice is a rarity around where I live. Any worse ice, and it'd take a dedicated studded ice+snow tire to get around safely.

Perhaps not noticeable to some, but I think they visually fill out the wheel well area a bit more than the 225/55's they replaced. A minor change, but pleasing. No idea if the 255/50VR19s would rub, but on the right wheel I think those would be stellar, with wider tread, a "meatier" fill of the wheel well; perhaps next time around.

By far, the best winter grip from a non-snow+ice tire that I have ever had on a car. Unless living in a place that regularly gets heavy ice and much deeper snow, I probably would do these Nokian WR G4's and skip the dedicated snow+ice tires, particularly since they come with the 600AA/60Kmi tread life rating.

Originally Posted by Bauer4665
I want something with longer warrantee, dependability, comfort, but can also handle snow/ice (I know nothing compares to real snow tires).
I'd say that these Nokian WR G4's come fairly close. But they've got comfort, stability, relatively quiet ride, and a 60Kmi tread life rating from Nokian. On the tread life, I've no idea if it'll pan out in reality, as I've only had them for the past few weeks and these are my first set of them. Otherwise, they're pretty great grip and comfort.

Last edited by GAsierra; 02-13-2021 at 11:17 AM. Reason: edited links; updated ice performance
Old 02-11-2021, 04:30 PM

Besides the Nokian, consider the top rated tire (TireRack) in its class - Michelin CrossClimate 2. I just put a pair on my wife's 2021 Crosstrek.

Old 02-12-2021, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by bobm
Besides the Nokian, consider the top rated tire (TireRack) in its class - Michelin CrossClimate 2. I just put a pair on my wife's 2021 Crosstrek.
How's the performance in inclement weather, really bad roads, frigid temperatures?

Old 02-12-2021, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by GAsierra
How's the performance in inclement weather, really bad roads, frigid temperatures?
Well, I literally only had them on for 2 days in cold but clear weather. In the 5 or so miles I drove it, I would definitely say it's quieter the the Yokas. I went off the reviews. On my Allroad I ran the Michelin Pilot Sports 3's and loved them. Had Blizzaks for winter driving.

Old 02-12-2021, 02:19 PM
Default Uniroyal Tiger Paws

I got Uniroyal Tiger Paws for my 2010 CX9 with 170k. So far so good, and half the cost of my previous Pirelli Scorp.

Old 02-12-2021, 06:54 PM
Question

Originally Posted by Sean Preston
I got Uniroyal Tiger Paws for my 2010 CX9 with 170k. So far so good, and half the cost of my previous Pirelli Scorp.
@Sean Preston :

Were those the Pirelli Scorpion Winter?

Wondering, how did they perform through the winter season? On ice, snow, general "wintry mix" crud, rain?

Old 03-08-2021, 04:59 PM
RR2

Originally Posted by Bauer4665
Hey All,

I'm at 47k miles on my 2018 CX-5 GT (all driven by me) and it's almost time for a net set of tires. I drive about 18K miles a year with a mix of city and highway in the Massachusetts area. So, weather and poor road conditions are always a factor. I want something with longer warrantee, dependability, comfort, but can also handle snow/ice (I know nothing compares to real snow tires).

I've seen a few good options with my own research. Does anyone have recommendations on specific All-season brands/models? What have people been purchasing for the CX-5?

Thanks!
Go with the Continental LX25s. Hands down the best tire out there for the CX 5. They are very quiet and handle well. A little more expensive but well worth it. I have a set on my '18 CX 5 GT and am very happy.

Old 03-09-2021, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by bobm
I just chipped in for a set of Cross Climate 2's on my son's Nissan Juke, and while I have not driven on them because he lives in NY, he said the recent snow in NYC and Long Island was not a problem. They were great according to him. They are expensive, which is why I chipped in to help get him so better tires.

The Tire Rack ASAP install guy said that people had been ordering the Cross Climates like hotcakes. He had two sets in his truck when he came to install ours....

Old 03-09-2021, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Chas2
I just chipped in for a set of Cross Climate 2's on my son's Nissan Juke, and while I have not driven on them because he lives in NY, he said the recent snow in NYC and Long Island was not a problem. They were great according to him. They are expensive, which is why I chipped in to help get him so better tires.

The Tire Rack ASAP install guy said that people had been ordering the Cross Climates like hotcakes. He had two sets in his truck when he came to install ours....
I think your son will be more than happy with those tires and you will both have a better peace of mind while driving - particularly in inclement weather.