Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Standard Accident Avoidance 2018 Mazda CX-5

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2021, 12:36 PM
Default Standard Accident Avoidance 2018 Mazda CX-5

I’m trying to shop for a CX-5 online and having a very hard time seeing lists of options that contain the accident avoidance features:

I believe all 2018 Mazda CX-5 trims come with:
- Lane Departure Alert
- Blind Spot Warning
- Automatic Emergency Braking at speed below 19mph - not sure about pedestrian identification

Can 2018 CX-5 owners chime in on what comes standard on models for safety features concerning accident avoidance?

I believe the 2018 CX-5 Touring & Grand Touring add Automatic Emergency Braking at Highway Speed.

Thanks for any help!! Trying to compare these safety features with 2019 Toyota RAV4 with Safety Sense 2.0 and 2018 Subaru Crosstrek with EyeSight.

Old 01-18-2021, 09:20 PM

Recently rented a car for several days, in a cold/icy/snowy area. Was a 2020 Grand Touring, with the iActiveSense. Not a lot of time in the saddle with it, but I drove a good amount of miles and actively checked out the various features.

Nice features, overall. Useful. Though some of the warnings can seem like a bit too much "peppering." Though I suppose most cars' systems will feel this way for the first few weeks, at least until gotten used to. On the Mazda, the urgency of such warnings can be de-tuned, at least in that 2020 rental they could. A bit less aggressive, if wanted that way; a bit earlier warning, if preferred.

1. Lane Departure -- set it to mild urgency, and it was easy to live with but wasn't very useful for warning in a crowded driving situation. Set to aggressive warning, it was a bit much but certainly was far more practical for loudly complaining when crossing a lane. Good feature, I think.

2. Blind Spot warnings -- Very, very useful. Effective, when backing up. Wide coverage, so pedestrians, approaching vehicles (in parking lots, whatever), along with the warning if attempting to move into a lane ... all work well. Was impressed.

3. Automatic Braking feature -- The rental I had came with the City Brake feature. In cruise control mode it would slow as the car ahead slowed. If that car braked heavily then my car would dramatically slow in attempt to minimize possible impact. Don't recall having tested it under 20mph, but at 30mph+ speeds on roads and highways, I found it rather effective.

Didn't have an opportunity to see how the auto-brake feature worked when coming upon solid impediments in the road, pedestrians or cyclists. Just noticed how it worked on normal roadways when the car ahead changed proximity with me to the point of potentially becoming a threat.

Can't compare to the EyeSight system in Subarus, nor others, as I haven't driven those.