Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on a new CX-5

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2019, 06:40 PM
Default Thoughts on a new CX-5

My sister was in an accident and the insurance company totaled the car. She had a 2008 Toyota Camry which she liked a lot, but now she would like to get a SUV. She is considering a CX-5 Touring and I would like your thoughts on it. She is also going to look at the Hyundai Tucson and Kona, the Subaru Forester and the Toyota Rav4. How does the CX-5 compare to those? I am open to any other suggestions too. Thanks.

Old 10-17-2019, 06:57 PM

The CX-5 is a great SUV overall. My only complaint is that the seats are really hard and narrow shaped making even a short commute painful. So I would recommend to take a really long test drive to make sure that the seats don't hurt. Other than that, a friend of mine owns a Hyundai Kona and is very happy with it, worth a test drive though it is a bit smaller in size compared to the CX-5. Also, if you go with the Kona, I would recommend the turbo engine option. Finally, I would also take a test drive of the VW Tiguan. The 2019 models have a 6-year warranty which is pretty good.

Old 10-17-2019, 07:06 PM

Thanks for your quick reply mazda_nc_dude. I appreciate your thoughts. I will have my sister look at the VW Tiguan too. From your sig it looks like you own a CX-5 AWD. Which sub-model do you have?

Old 10-17-2019, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by robrpb
Thanks for your quick reply mazda_nc_dude. I appreciate your thoughts. I will have my sister look at the VW Tiguan too. From your sig it looks like you own a CX-5 AWD. Which sub-model do you have?
We own the Grand Touring (non-turbo) AWD. Turbo was not available for the CX-5 in 2018, hence, I would suggest to test drive the turbo model as well. It has more HP and torque but has a lower MPG.

As I said before, except for the seats, it's a great SUV in my opinion. FWIW, my wife is the main driver of the car and she has no complaints about the seats, so it might be that my tush is not suited for these seats

Last edited by mazda_nc_dude; 10-17-2019 at 08:18 PM.
Old 10-18-2019, 05:22 AM
Super Moderator

I highly recommend the CX-5

Old 10-18-2019, 08:27 AM

I'm a big guy and around six feet tall. I found it took a while to get the seat adjusted to my liking, but I do very long drives in comfort. I highly recommend the CX-5, I've got 75,000 miles on my 2016 with no problems at all. Normal maintenance only.

Old 10-20-2019, 12:31 AM

Best small SUV under 30,000 dollars, just sit in the competition. The CX has the best interior of the vehicles you listed. The Sport AWD with the added safety package is a good value. The CX-5 AWD I purchased had the factory hitch, the i-activsense radar AEB system, alloy wheels, projector LED headlights, and a leather steering wheel for $25,803. Hard to beat the value.

Old 10-20-2019, 12:35 AM
Old 10-26-2019, 12:55 PM
Old 10-26-2019, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Chocolate
Best small SUV under 30,000 dollars, just sit in the competition. The CX has the best interior of the vehicles you listed. The Sport AWD with the added safety package is a good value. The CX-5 AWD I purchased had the factory hitch, the i-activsense radar AEB system, alloy wheels, projector LED headlights, and a leather steering wheel for $25,803. Hard to beat the value.
What is out the door price on that?

Quick Reply: Thoughts on a new CX-5