Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switched to 5W-30 from 0W-20

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2022, 09:16 PM
Default Switched to 5W-30 from 0W-20

The engine is noticeably quieter at idle and during normal driving. I was expecting it to be quieter but am still impressed to the level of difference.

Last edited by Chocolate; 02-11-2024 at 04:11 PM.
Old 11-10-2022, 08:47 AM

Yes I think you will find it a better choice in your operating environment. It is also refreshing to see someone using the temperature chart to choose the viscosity of use instead of what the oil cap is labeled.

Old 11-10-2022, 08:49 AM

Butt, Butt,
Greta Thunberg is gonna die because of you.....

Old 11-10-2022, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Chocolate

O also like this text you posted which clearly support what I keep posting on MAZDA forum about the pol level. OLD SCHOLL is the top line for reading oil. Most new engine have a operating range that your oil should be and that is between the lower and top line. Not OLD SCHOOL top line which is actually harder to measure when adding oil because of the oil (fluid) not completely heated up and settling to the sump when the engine is off to measure it. And a few other factors. I would say I see more people going slightly over the top line then those exactly at the top line. I usually run mine about 75% between the lines.

Old 11-11-2022, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by buzzard
butt, butt,
greta thunberg is gonna die because of you.....
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Old 11-18-2022, 03:59 AM

Here's a video of the engine idling with 5W-30, for those of you using 0W-20. You can barely hear the engine, which is not the case with 0W-20. I can honestly say I notice a huge difference from idle to 2,000+ RPM in my 2019 CX-5 AWD.

(File too large for forum).

https://www.mediafire.com/file/2oi1x..._4495.MOV/file

Old 11-18-2022, 08:54 AM

Most videos about motor oil are highly subjective and really not conclusive. I have use and do use depending on the operating needs 0w20, 10w30, 10w40 and a mixture of several others. There has never been any noticeable change in the engine sounds when all the conditions are the same. I can say that there is a operating temperature difference of a few degrees during the summer when I use 10w40 running slightly cooler with and without the AC. The ambientes in my area get plus 112F degrees. During the winter and our travels in ambientes to 15F I always use the lowest viscosity available.

To many amateur or nonprofessional controlled testing of oils from DIY without real controlled testing. As one put it it's the "dumbing down of America" and possibly the world.

I would guess that even using Non synthetic (heaven forbid LOL) would not result in much different results noise wise to the engine?

Last edited by Callisto; 11-18-2022 at 10:42 AM.
Old 11-18-2022, 10:40 AM

Here's a video of the engine idling with 5W-30,
Chocalate I read the tread on the other forum you started. Needless to say most of those members are "find it on the internet" for their level of posting information not real world experience!
Naturally it is my opinion about them. lol This is why I feel that this forum has at least a few that are in the auto industry and have decades of real world experience to share.

As for oil information, at one time I use to get Federal required motor oil data and specifications. Needless to say it is far better then the limited internet information that is plastered all over. The bottom line is unless there are those that do a life study on a single engine or transmission which has been generally set at 100,000 miles there is no real data to prove any or much of the posted information even from auto manufactures about what you use for an engine. The current recommendation at least for US manufactured and sold vehicle's is mostly to meet the emission standard requirements. Having torn down a few engines vintage 2019 Mazda Gas Skyactiv engines and examining all aspect of the machining and the material used it is easy to see that in reality there is not many oil brands or viscosity as long as it meets the engineering specification requirements set my the auto manufactures will harm and engine. i.e. API SN API SN + RCLSP, SN, SG and many more.

Here is my Mazda using Mobil 1 , 5w30 . My engine 43,000 miles is in perfect running condition, no cylinder leak down, every cylinder is exactly the same psi, no wear indicators in the frequently analyzed motor oil etc....
Listening to the actual sound of the engine close up you would think WTF!!!!!!! LOL Its all in how the film is made. If I pop the engine cover back on, and get further away from the engine I am sure it would sound much less dreadful. LOL

BTW I still prefer 5W30 over all in my Mazda Engine

Last edited by Callisto; 11-18-2022 at 10:46 AM.
Old 11-18-2022, 07:44 PM

Yeah, it's loud with the hood open, mine is the same, but we don't drive around that way. All I can share is my honest experience. I know for a fact that it is quieter at idle to 2000+ RPM because I've listened to the engine very carefully before and after, and the difference is very noticeable. Not discounting your experience, just sharing mine.

Old 11-18-2022, 09:27 PM

Yeah, it's loud with the hood open, mine is the same, but we don't drive around that way. All I can share is my honest experience. I know for a fact that it is quieter at idle to 2000+ RPM because I've listened to the engine very carefully before and after, and the difference is very noticeable. Not discounting your experience, just sharing mine.
Well, I can accept that. I don't think you used clean fluid and filter ran the engine up to temperature listened and then changed the oil and filter and repeated the sound test? But I do trust that what you herd for you was quieter.
I understand it's like a butt Dyno, we all think and feel that changing the oil makes the engine soother running and quieter? I do. lol My experience engine noise is based on using equipment to measure the sound. Unfortunately, I often times get members (not you) on forum (we know which ones) that always question my responses as if I am just giving an IMO when reality I seldom (almost never) unless I say IMHO respond on a thread that I have not done a little more testing or flat have lots of experience on a given subject or there is empirical data supporting my comments and responses? . I won't go into the details on this thread because it is rather way off topic of why I would test the sound through careful and logged decibel readings using different motor and transmission oil, but I will say it had to do with the engine warming up to operating at optimal temperature before throttling up past about 1500 RPM and the effects on some new valvetrain parts I use..

Last edited by Callisto; 11-19-2022 at 01:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Switched to 5W-30 from 0W-20