Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stalled while driving on highway (2024)

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2023, 11:17 PM
Default Stalled while driving on highway (2024)

My new 2024 CX5 has stalled twice now while driving on the highway, about 5 days apart. The power just cut out and I had to coast over to the shoulder. There were no warning lights and just text that flashed briefly saying to shift into park (obviously not going to do that while going 60 mph). When I turned the car off and back on again--it started right up. The dealer cannot find a problem with it. Has anyone else experienced this or have any insights?

Old 12-30-2023, 07:13 AM

Obviously, your vehicle is unsafe to drive at this point.
There are several issues that could cause your problem and all fairly easily identifiable but can take time to diagnose.
You should report this to Mazda corporate USA and have your dealer provide you with a loaner until the problem is corrected.
If they won't do that, I would find a Mazda dealer who will.
Not sure what the lemon laws are in MN but I'd also be looking at them replacing your vehicle if they cannot find an answer to the problem.
Good luck.

Old 12-30-2023, 09:19 AM

Thanks for your thoughts, Lobstah.

The dealer has been working with Mazda corporate and have still been unable to determine a cause. They have had the vehicle a week now and gave me a loaner but now are saying they cannot find a problem with it and want to return the car to me. They say they cannot reproduce the issue and have tried driving it a # of times. .

I may look further at your suggestion about reporting this to Mazda USA myself as well.

Old 12-30-2023, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Lynn222
I may look further at your suggestion about reporting this to Mazda USA myself as well.
I definitely would. It's good to have as much as possible documented. Look into Lemon Laws in your state as well, if they are permitted.

Old 12-31-2023, 01:59 PM

The best procedure would be to have the dealership start a service advisory directly with MAZDA USA. Sometimes dealership don't do this, Request it. As for the lemon law they don't work like everyone thinks and once you start the process it could take a long time before the determination is done. I might add when you fill the form to start the process, they're going to ask questions about your MAZDA that you at this point have not done as the complainant. This is because only 1 dealership (independent business) reported not finding the problem?
I currently am involved as an independent evaluator for the claimant that came to me after the dealer(s) released the vehicles stating not under warranty and/or no problem found. Those attempting to process to get a replacement vehicle under the lemon Law and is a PIA! Research your states Lemon law and you might find that a small investment to talk to an attorney valuable.
The other thought is simply going to another dealership. After all they are an independent business, and nothing requires a dealership to have a Certified Mazda technician employed.
There really is no verbiage to a certified (current testing requirements) Automotive technician as "CAN'T FID THE PROBLEM" !!

Last edited by Callisto; 12-31-2023 at 02:03 PM.
Old 12-31-2023, 02:59 PM

Thanks so much, Alexmed and Calliisto.

On Tuesday I will demand to speak with the service manager and perhaps also the sales manager for the dealership. I will also ask about them starting a service advisory with Mazda USA as Castillo suggested. The service advisor I have been working with has twice told me the car is unsafe but now they want to return it to me. I have documented all these interactions as well as a description of the stalling events as previously suggested as well.

I appreciate your thoughts about the lemon law not being as easy as one would hope--but it may be this is the avenue I will have to take. I have looked up and printed the one for my state (MN).

Old 12-31-2023, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Lynn222
The service advisor I have been working with has twice told me the car is unsafe but now they want to return it to me.
I know I'm being blunt, but that service advisor is an idiot for returning a car that even they are saying is unsafe.

Old 01-01-2024, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Alexmed2002
I know I'm being blunt, but that service advisor is an idiot for returning a car that even they are saying is unsafe.
We don't know all the details?
Not saying it didn't happen....
If they did actually include that on the service write up and release to customer there is more than just a causal lemon law to consider! And I would strongly advise to talk to an attorney.
However, like most responses we seldom see those service orders posted on a forum.
The other thing is if a person actually did write or tell a person from a dealership or for that matter any licensed automotive shop/service that their vehicle is unsafe to drive, and the owner/customer continues to drive it then if something should happen some of the fault could fall on the owner/driver of the vehicle.
I know this from personal experience having some real dangerous vehicles in the shop for service that customers could not pay to fix, and we had me sign a release that stated continued driving is dangerous.

Old 01-01-2024, 05:22 PM

Greetings. I haven't seen anything written presently including the service ticket---the unsafe to drive was said twice in verbal conversation. Hopefully talking with the manager tomorrow will help.

Old 01-01-2024, 07:10 PM

You need to get things documented in writing. "Unable to reproduce customer concern" will cause you problems for any lemon law protections if it comes to that. Lemon law stuff is a tight window. In most states it needs to be one specific issue occuring in the first year that they cannot repair in 3-4 attempts. If they can't even document or observe an issue you aren't even to step one. Intermittent issues can be tough. Make sure they keep the car for the interval it would normally occur. 2nd dealer and corporate come into play also. You are a concerned owner just wanting a car that functions right.

Quick Reply: Stalled while driving on highway (2024)