Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Soul Red Crystal Metallic

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by mdmiller50
I bought the car discussed in my O/P (quoted above) on Feb. 27. Drove it exactly 102 miles home from the dealer in San Diego and gave it a good inspection as soon as I got it in the garage. I found one tiny chip toward the front of the hood. That weekend we took it about 200 miles north to Los Olivos to do some wine tasting. Inspected it again when we got back and didn't see any additional damage. Washed, clayed and waxed it after that and the paint looks beautiful. Of course that's not a lot of miles but others here have had nightmarish paint problems with not many more miles driven. My original plan to wrap the entire front end is on hold since it looks like I've been lucky so far. The prices I was quoted were also a contributing factor. The "assembly date" on my car is 10-17-17. Pretty late for a 2017 model I believe. Could that have anything to do with possible process improvements as far as applying the paint goes?
I suspect there may be many factors that contribute to the problem and to the likelihood that an individual owner will experience the problem. It could be influenced by the temperature, humidity winter road treatment methods, as examples. This forum is a small non-representative sample of all Mazda owners. (As you mention, your few hindered mile analysis is also a small sample.) I suspect the members of the forum pay more attention to their vehicles than the average owner. I also suspect that owners with problems are more likely to sign up for the forum. I am surprised that the typical car reviewer never mentions the problem. They tend to stress what a great color it is.

I would guess that the fact that in the first year of the life of your Mazda there has been few chips, there is a much better chance that you won't have the problem to the extent that others have.

Bottom line, individual results will vary.

Old 03-20-2019, 06:09 PM
Default Mx5 2019 soul red

Originally Posted by Belize Bound
I just purchased my third new Mazda in the last four years. Always very impressed with the vehicles. This last time we chose another CX-5 GT. We opted for the $595.00 Soul Red Crystal Metallic. I am not very pleased with the quality of the paint job that Mazda has so rigorously touted. After a very short freeway trip, I noticed several tiny chips on the hood. Never heard any rocks, etc. hit the hood during this trip. The paint seems to be extremely thin. Also there are very fine swirl marks which appear to be beneath the clear coat. Curious if anyone else has had problems with this new paint option. Will be bringing it into the dealership for further evaluation.
I don’t know how to post without quoting, anyway 700 miles and bad paint chips in hood!! Contacted Mazda and they gave me a service request number and also said wait a few weeks see if more appear before heading to dealer, guess they want to see if chips appear anywhere else, very disappointed cause we were very happy with car.

Old 03-21-2019, 10:16 PM

Use a microfiber cloth to dry....Just found out that bath towels are sometimes abrasive. Seems to help.

Old 03-22-2019, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Chunky
Use a microfiber cloth to dry....Just found out that bath towels are sometimes abrasive. Seems to help.
not sure what you mean, these are actual chips to paint exposing the metal from road debris, I have yet to hand wash this car, this is a known problem to Mazda.

Old 03-22-2019, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Pico1
I just took my 2018 Mazda 6 which has soul red to the dealer yesterday. They said they're going to take it to the body shop and get an estimate for a complete respray as my hood, side fenders have multiple chips. I'm concerned they won't match it 100%, also how can they prevent this from happening again. Once they take pics and send the estimate to my dealer, they will reach out to Mazda and see what they say. Not really sure if I want a complete respray or not. But there really is no way to fix this. Other than have the respray done by Mazda themselves and put ceramic coating on the vehicle.
Originally Posted by Lulick9
We have a 2017 soul red crystal CX5. It had 100 chips on the hood and another 100 on the bumper cover. It took a year but Mazda finally repainted the hood, doors, A pillars and blended the rear quarter panels. Our Peoria, IL body shop took 3 weeks but did an excellent repaint. It looks better than the factory paint with less orange peel. It is back in the body shop as they forgot to repaint the bumper cover. Don't know how that will turn out and we will have to see how the repaint holds up.
hey who did you talk too? We only have 3 chips so according to corporate nothing happening even though only 700 miles on car. Any regional manager I could reach? Only other option is to file a complaint with Ohio Attorney General. Thx for any help or advice

Old 03-23-2019, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Stevencfd20

not sure what you mean, these are actual chips to paint exposing the metal from road debris, I have yet to hand wash this car, this is a known problem to Mazda.
I believe there are two related problems. The chips are obviously the bigger problem. Secondarily, it appears the paint is so soft that it scratches easily. The microfiber cloth to dry would help with scratches from drying the car but not the chips.

Old 04-04-2019, 07:22 PM
ptw

Hey folks, just curious: is the paint chipping still as big a problem on 2019 models as it was on 2018's and earlier? Or did they make some changes to at least reduce the problem (I doubt it is eliminated.)

I currently drive a 2007 Mazda3...really happy with the car overall and no paint chip problems. I am looking to move up to a 2019 CX-5 and I love the Soul Red, but if the paint chip problem is that bad I may have to reconsider.

Are the other colours very vulnerable to chipping too?

Thanks!

Old 04-07-2019, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by ptw
Hey folks, just curious: is the paint chipping still as big a problem on 2019 models as it was on 2018's and earlier? Or did they make some changes to at least reduce the problem (I doubt it is eliminated.)

I currently drive a 2007 Mazda3...really happy with the car overall and no paint chip problems. I am looking to move up to a 2019 CX-5 and I love the Soul Red, but if the paint chip problem is that bad I may have to reconsider.

Are the other colours very vulnerable to chipping too?

Thanks!
We do have a 2018 CX-5 and have no issues with the soul red paint. It's been used now more than a year and about 11.5K miles driven.

Old 05-10-2019, 12:12 PM

Does anyone have a 2019 model they are having paint problems with?
Does anyone have an MX-5 ND colour that is actually thickly painted and durable?

I'm sorry to hear about all of the problems with the soul red / soul red crystal. I've been seriously considering buying an MX-5 RF 2019 new because all of the pre-2019 ones i've seen has the bonnet is littered with stone chips. This seems to be regardless of colour although soul red appears the worst with possibly ceramic being the best. I went to visit one with the dealer claiming it was immaculate showroom condition since it had only done 2000 miles since 2017. It had several stone chips and swirl marks. And this is the paint that is supposed to be better than soul red crystal. I'd actually be heartbroken spending £25-30k on my first new car only for it to be all chipped up and ugly after such a short mileage and period of time.

I have considered going with Xpel PPF but that costs about 10% of the car's value for what equates to thin sticky-back plastic. I also noticed when inspecting Xpel vehicles that it doesn't go right to or over the edges so there are still gaps where you paint is not entirely protected. Furthermore, it's possible that the film may let some stone chips through. Then there is the worry of what happens if you need to take a section off due to damage or when it starts to look unsightly - is this thin, brittle paintwork going to survive PPF removal or is the paint job going to be damaged?

I'm starting to reconsider choosing soul red crystal or even buying an MX-5 at all give what I've read on here. Perhaps a used Boxster might be the way to go. Is it too much to ask to have a decent paint job when spending £25-30k on a new car and £790 extra on factory paint?

Old 05-11-2019, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by Made In Machines
Does anyone have a 2019 model they are having paint problems with?
Does anyone have an MX-5 ND colour that is actually thickly painted and durable?

I'm sorry to hear about all of the problems with the soul red / soul red crystal. I've been seriously considering buying an MX-5 RF 2019 new because all of the pre-2019 ones i've seen has the bonnet is littered with stone chips. This seems to be regardless of colour although soul red appears the worst with possibly ceramic being the best. I went to visit one with the dealer claiming it was immaculate showroom condition since it had only done 2000 miles since 2017. It had several stone chips and swirl marks. And this is the paint that is supposed to be better than soul red crystal. I'd actually be heartbroken spending £25-30k on my first new car only for it to be all chipped up and ugly after such a short mileage and period of time.

I have considered going with Xpel PPF but that costs about 10% of the car's value for what equates to thin sticky-back plastic. I also noticed when inspecting Xpel vehicles that it doesn't go right to or over the edges so there are still gaps where you paint is not entirely protected. Furthermore, it's possible that the film may let some stone chips through. Then there is the worry of what happens if you need to take a section off due to damage or when it starts to look unsightly - is this thin, brittle paintwork going to survive PPF removal or is the paint job going to be damaged?

I'm starting to reconsider choosing soul red crystal or even buying an MX-5 at all give what I've read on here. Perhaps a used Boxster might be the way to go. Is it too much to ask to have a decent paint job when spending £25-30k on a new car and £790 extra on factory paint?
Might be a hit or miss issue. We own a 2018 soul red and it is now almost 1.5 years. No issues at all with the paint.

Quick Reply: Soul Red Crystal Metallic