Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

snow tires and wheels

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2022, 10:20 AM
Default snow tires and wheels

I have a 2021 CX5 Signature turbo Mazda and wanted to get some recommendations on winter tires and wheels, was thinking blizzaks but not sure what size I should go with?

Old 11-15-2022, 10:55 AM

You'll likely get a different answer from most everyone.
I no longer have dedicated wheels/tires for winter driving.
For my driving style, ride comfort and location I chose Pirelli Scorpion A3 all-weather on the stock wheels.
They handle great, ride great and have little to no road noise.
Only been on for two weeks and one "light snow" and handled fine in that.
But then I'm retired and only travel in the snow for appointments/travel I cannot cancel.
I also got a great deal, $1078 installed at my local tire dealer.

Old 11-15-2022, 11:01 AM

I was thinking about all-weather tires on stock wheels, will look into those Pirellis Scorpion A3s, thanks for the info.

Old 11-15-2022, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Ericx22x
I was thinking about all-weather tires on stock wheels, will look into those Pirellis Scorpion A3s, thanks for the info.
The only CON is that their tread design tends to pick up and hold small pebbles. LOL
Other wise its not a bad performing tire for safe driving habits in adverse weather and road conditions.

Old 11-15-2022, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
The only CON is that their tread design tends to pick up and hold small pebbles. LOL
No worries then, the "salt & sand" grains they use here on the roads in the winter are the size of golf *****

Old 11-15-2022, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Lobstah
No worries then, the "salt & sand" grains they use here on the roads in the winter are the size of golf *****
ROLMAO........
Often times we will get a customer in the shop that has an unexplained vibration at highway speeds. After inspecting the chassis and suspension and alignment the next suspect is the tire/wheels. On the balancer we can see that there is a change in the wights both in location and amount. But when I have the Techs rotate and remove all the debris caught by some tread designs and re-check the balance.... wow...ITSA MIRICLE.... lol, not only does it not need any weights but when we re-installed back on the customers vehicle there is no more vibrations. LOL The PROBLEM is always what to charge the customer. They always feel that seems there was nothing wrong why should we charge a flat rate hour fee which in my location and state competitive @100.oo per hour. So it goes by attitude, if they are nice and understanding it 30 bucks, attitude its 100. LOL In either case I always thank them with a genuine smile.
So I started to notice tread pattern and designs. Even the top line tires have some undesirable pebble catcher tread patterns. LOL
Somewhere on this forum I recently respond to a member asking about the 3 tires he had it narrowed down to deciding on. They were all great, but one had better tread pattern for not collecting road pebbles. LOL

Starting from post #73
Mazda3 Things I like to do - Page 8 - Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Originally Posted by Callisto
Rotated my tires at the close to the 5000 miles set maintenance schedule.
When i do this I take the time to meticulously clean the tires, tread by removing all the debris, clean

Old 11-16-2022, 06:48 AM

Finally, another one who does it.
I thought I was the only one who actually picked pebbles out of my tires.
My wife and friends think I'm nuts when they actually catch me doing it.
Yeah...I've always been a closet pebble picker...until now.