Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Smart City Brake Malfunction - New 2016 CX-5

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2022, 01:14 PM
Default 2016 CX9 smart brake system issues

Here to report the same issues. Already had it into the dealer twice. Battery changed, sensors replaced. No issues for two weeks but it's worse than ever. Forward Smart City Brake Support malfunction, other brake warnings, check engine light, even the stop/start button was flashing orange which I've never seen before. Car won't accelerate when this randomly happens, so it's definitely a safety issue. 41,000 miles on this car, purchased new in 2017.

Old 05-08-2022, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by augustsea3
Here to report the same issues. Already had it into the dealer twice. Battery changed, sensors replaced. No issues for two weeks but it's worse than ever. Forward Smart City Brake Support malfunction, other brake warnings, check engine light, even the stop/start button was flashing orange which I've never seen before. Car won't accelerate when this randomly happens, so it's definitely a safety issue. 41,000 miles on this car, purchased new in 2017.
as Matty2fatty07 recommended I changed my Mass air flow sensor and touch wood no issues so far. But when I had issues I only got the warning didn’t get an acceleration or power issues.

Old 08-16-2022, 11:43 PM

I’ve had the exact same issue, went to Mazda for a diagnostic and was shown that it’s actually a “exhaust gas temp sensor”. This had dislodged. Refixed and the issue was resolved

Purchased new 2016 CX-5 GT AWD w/i-ACTIVESENSE at the end of March, and within a week started receiving the following two error messages on my info panel:
"Smart City Brake Support Malfunction. Forward SCBS Disabled." and
"Smart Brake System Malfunction"

Both messages show up in tandem, never just one or the other, and at seemingly random times. Once I turn the car off, they disappear and then pop up again after a few days or weeks. The dealer asked several questions about weather conditions, time of day, highway vs. city, windshield sensor debris/fog, etc. But the messages have appeared in just about every combination of driving conditions. Dealer kept the car for a couple days, could not recreate the issue or find anyone else with this issue, eventually Mazda told them to replace some ABS part...two days later, message appeared again.

Dealer keeps telling me they need to run diagnostics while the messages are on the screen but given the randomness of the problem, neither I nor they have been able to recreate on demand. Closest thing to a pattern I've recorded is that the error is more likely to set off when driving at slow speed and/or slowly applying the brake; the car usually jerks a bit (which i assume is the SCBS kicking in briefly?) and then the messages appear. For example, once they appeared while in the middle of a U-turn after I was stopped at a red light.

Thanks for your help and suggestions![/QUOTE]

Old 08-17-2022, 02:16 AM

Just to update changing the Mass air flow sensor doesn't seem to have fixed the issue for me. After some months on a long drive after 1.5 hours just when I pressed the cruise control cancel at 70mph I got the warning back. Also not sure anything wrong with the new MAF sensor bought from amazon.

Old 10-09-2022, 02:20 PM
Default Did you find solution? Have the same problem...

Originally Posted by JoeCee
Hi All
Can anyone advise me please ? I have a 2014 cx5 2.2 auto and have had the problem of SCBS AND TMPS tyre pressure and inspection light come on automatically tipping the brakes at 80kmph with my kids in the car , I've only had it six months and have spent 750 euro on the problem so far from my local mechanic. So I sent it to Mazda and they claim the turbo is gone and want 3500 euro to replace!! My local mechanic disagrees and says its a computer fault that he cannot pin point and replacing the turbo (even if is gone ) will not solve the problem of the car entering limp mode, now I was wondering has anyone received a definitive answer as to the problem or can the computer be bypassed or should I just drive it into the sea?
hi there!
I have the same problem with my mazda. Did you find any solution??

Old 10-09-2022, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by TamtaNearchou
hi there!
I have the same problem with my mazda. Did you find any solution??
When my scbs light came on for no reason I took my car to Mazda dealership they tried to reset it 3xs and couldn't find any issues so I hired a lemon law atty, gave them my service records and Mazda settled and gave me $2500 ($2k went to the atty) and they gave me an extended 100k mile warranty on top of my 36k mile warranty that came with the new car. They then replaced the scbs (which is what they should've done in the first place) now no issues

Old 01-30-2023, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Davey
I started having the SCBS Malfunction issue around 4 weeks ago, whereby my Mazda CX-5 2015 AWD 2.2 Diesel Auto, 35,000 miles, would suddenly apply the brake while I was driving along in normal weather conditions.
The Engine warning light appeared together with the 'SCBS Malfunction FWD' message.
Managed to drive it to my local dealer who put it on 'Diags' and after an hour came back with the verdict that there is a carbon build up in the emission system and this was the cause of the issue.
I then explained to them the seriousness if this was to happen on a motorway, especially with my grandchildren in the car.
Mazda gave me a courtesy car 2 weeks ago and there is still no progress on the 'repair' 4 weeks on.
The car is no longer under warranty and I don't really see why I should fork out for the 'Repair' for an engine system design that is potentially dangerous.
I've made countless calls to Mazda Customer Services to complain and still have not had a satisfactory outcome.
When I do get it back, I wish to disable the SBS and SCBS features. But looking through the manual, there doesn't appear to be a way of disabling this feature on my model. Does anyone know how to do this?
I have the same issue with my CX-5 2016. Everytime i start the car i have to manually diable the TCS and the SCBS then i have no issues. Its annoying but its better than it malfunctioning half way down the motorway and juddering home or to a safe spot to restart. 2 years ive had the car now and still trying to find a permanent solution. I had my windshield replaced so my next stop is to get hold of the company who replaced it to check the calibration on the lasers.

Old 01-30-2023, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by SG1990
I have the same issue with my CX-5 2016. Everytime i start the car i have to manually diable the TCS and the SCBS then i have no issues. Its annoying but its better than it malfunctioning half way down the motorway and juddering home or to a safe spot to restart. 2 years ive had the car now and still trying to find a permanent solution. I had my windshield replaced so my next stop is to get hold of the company who replaced it to check the calibration on the lasers.
I had my windshield replaced when I 1st got my car due to a bad rock chip that spread. The company I used didn't calibrate my scbs properly and this is what caused my issue I later learned.

Old 02-04-2023, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by augustsea3
Did you find the fix? I just got this error this week and cleaning the windshield didn't work for me.

Old 02-04-2023, 12:20 PM
Cool

Did you find the fix? I just got this error this week and cleaning the windshield didn't work for me.
The hit-and-run poster you are asking hasn’t been back to the forum in nine months, he won’t see your question.

Quick Reply: Smart City Brake Malfunction - New 2016 CX-5