Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Recommended Tire Pressure - 38PSI

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2020, 02:56 PM
Default Recommended Tire Pressure - 38PSI

I have a 2019 CX-5 Sport AWD. This morning, I checked my tire pressure. All were at 30psi. I filled them all to a little over 32psi. After I was done, and put everything away I looked at the placard inside the driver's side door. I was surprised that the recommended pressure is 34psi. That seems kind of high to me.

Do you all fill to 34psi?

I'll probably check in a month when the temps are down to 20F and top them off.

Thanks.

Last edited by grim_reaper; 01-06-2022 at 02:56 AM.
Old 11-18-2020, 03:08 PM

When in doubt always go by what the door jams recommends for the tire size on your vehicle or your owners handbook . Even if you ask professional Tire service shops they will ALWAYS use the guide in the dorr jam for your vehicle.

The only time you choose to use different tire pressure is general for sport or competitive driving events with specialized suspension equipment or for track only tires.

Old 11-18-2020, 09:04 PM
Default Tire pressure

I always go by the tire plague inside the drivers door. On my Stinger they recommend 36 psi front and 38 psi rear. But the tires are two different sizes.

Old 11-19-2020, 06:20 AM
Super Moderator

At my dealership we set CX-5 tyres to 38psi. Never had any issues in over 7 yrs.

Old 11-19-2020, 11:33 AM

Some old timers up here in snow and ice country, run a lower pressure than recommended.
It's supposed to improve traction. (old wives tale?)
When going on a trip of any length, I run the pressure up some, usually 40psi.
It improves mileage (very small amount) and tire can take the heat better and last
bit longer as well.

My 2¢

Old 11-19-2020, 12:28 PM

I doubt that any tire manufacture or vehicle manufacture would agree with some of the responses I am reading on this thread?

Tires are designed Exactly to perform in a specific air pressure range. Off road tires have suggestions for adjustment operating for the most part OFF RAOD. Deflating all weather, off road or winter/snow even daily driver street and summer tires can actually lower there traction and BRAKING support potential. Increasing air pressure above what the vehicle manufactures recommendation can not only cause the tires to wear faster , but unless you account for other temperature influences will also increase the tires pressure caused from the air heating in the tire not only from the radiated road temperature or ambient operating temperatures. When tires that have to much pressure you could also reduce the safe handling and REDUCED BRAKING and a longer INCREASED STOPPING DISTANCE of the vehicle because your tire contact area is now less because of higher then recommended tire pressure.

The tire pressure should be done checked and adjusted when the there is no direct sunlight and preferably early in the morning. The tire pressure will be higher as all surrounding and operating temperature's increase. So I recommend to read up on how to properly adjust your air temperatures. I also suggest that you check them at least a couple of times in a day or so after you make the adjustments to make sure that the pressures are at what you calculated and adjust them to be.

I might add don't assume that the tire gauge you are using is accurate. Check your tire pressure with at least a couple different gauges or find a gauge that is certified to be accurate.

These are 2 complete set of aftermarket wheels and tires for the MAZDA 3 carefully stored.

I have my OEM MAZDA wheels and tires stored that I use occasionally in fact just recently swapped out the American Racing for a week with them.

These are only a few that I just garbed in my garage just to pictures. Yes there are cheap ones in ther but I have one gauge in the picture that is calibrated perfect. It is simple math to adjust the reading to what the tire pressure actually is based on comparing the one the is true reading. BTW the pencil gauges are not as bad as everyone thinks but those little round gauges are pretty much the worst. If you are going to get one I recomend the Craftsmen Digital as pictured.

Last edited by Callisto; 11-19-2020 at 09:49 PM. Reason: added a picture
Old 11-19-2020, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Dennis Wendt
Some old timers up here in snow and ice country, run a lower pressure than recommended.
It's supposed to improve traction. (old wives tale?)
When going on a trip of any length, I run the pressure up some, usually 40psi.
It improves mileage (very small amount) and tire can take the heat better and last
bit longer as well.

My 2¢
Lowering tire pressure in snow is generally not a good idea. While it increases the footprint of the tire, it doesn't dig into the snow to give traction and traction is what you need.

Now, if off-roading in loose sand, reducing the tire pressure to about 15 pounds is often a good idea as it prevents the tire from digging in. Just remember to increase it when you get out of the sand and onto rock or the highway.

Old 11-19-2020, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by bobp55
I have a 2019 CX-5 Sport AWD. This morning, I checked my tire pressure. All were at 30psi. I filled them all to a little over 32psi. After I was done, and put everything away I looked at the placard inside the driver's side door. I was surprised that the recommended pressure is 34psi. That seems kind of high to me.

Do you all fill to 34psi?

I'll probably check in a month when the temps are down to 20F and top them off.

Thanks.
What's your tire size? On our CX-5 we do have 225/55r19 and the recommended pressure is 35PSI.

Old 11-19-2020, 11:34 PM

While the 'pencil' type tire gauges can be accurate, it's best to have it checked against
a known quality and accurate gauge. The plastic ones should be tossed to begin with.

The battery powered digital ones are good also.
I prefer one of these gauges and keep one in the glove box.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Accu-Gage...87041059b526a3

My 2¢

Old 11-19-2020, 11:38 PM

Lowering tire pressure in snow is generally not a good idea. While it increases the footprint of the tire, it doesn't dig into the snow to give traction and traction is what you need.

Now, if off-roading in loose sand, reducing the tire pressure to about 15 pounds is often a good idea as it prevents the tire from digging in. Just remember to increase it when you get out of the sand and onto rock or the highway.
Six of one! While not a common a practice with the latest radial tires, it's still being practiced.
We aren't talking 10lbs+ here, only~4 or 5 lbs.

My 2¢

Quick Reply: Recommended Tire Pressure - 38PSI