Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommended Maintenance for 100K miles

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 11:35 PM
Default Recommended Maintenance for 100K miles

Have a 2014 CX-5 GT FWD and is about to turn over 100K miles. I bought the car brand new with 7 miles on it.
Looking for recommended maintenance. I have done searching and research, but the recommendations range from inspections of equipment to full blown $5000 worth of changes.

What items should I definitely replace/change? (some examples i've seen are: transmission/coolant/power steering/brake fluids, serpentine/timing belt, water pump, tensioners, brakes, spark plugs, fuel filter, pcv valve, etc.)

Just a few notes:
  • tires are fairly new (<20K) and rotated every ~15K miles
  • Oil and filter is changed every ~8K miles
  • Battery, brakes, spark plugs, and most fluids are original.
  • Vehicle idles a little rough, not bad.
  • Vehicle occasionally has difficulty starting (has happen twice in the last year) where jump start is required. (mostly when colder temps hit) No corrosion on battery.
  • Vehicle hits about 10 miles of rough gravel road each week. (which makes the engine compartment quite dirty)

Old 10-21-2018, 06:17 AM

/Glad to see the mileage since I just bought a used 17 last month.

I would have the battery and electrical system checked. Simple free test at places like Pep Boys etc.

Plugs are cheap and easy to install and it will help determine if idle is related to them. You should also see improved mileage. It may require new wires as well.

The belt would be my next step, These are the type of things that will leave you on the side of the road and in some cars cause engine damage.

After that I would shop around for someone that could address all the fluids. This would include brake fluids.

For me this would be peace of mind if you plan to keep the car for a few more years.

Good luck,
JB

Old 10-22-2018, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by chowee21
Have a 2014 CX-5 GT FWD and is about to turn over 100K miles. I bought the car brand new with 7 miles on it.
Looking for recommended maintenance. I have done searching and research, but the recommendations range from inspections of equipment to full blown $5000 worth of changes.

What items should I definitely replace/change? (some examples i've seen are: transmission/coolant/power steering/brake fluids, serpentine/timing belt, water pump, tensioners, brakes, spark plugs, fuel filter, pcv valve, etc.)

Just a few notes:
  • tires are fairly new (<20K) and rotated every ~15K miles
  • Oil and filter is changed every ~8K miles
  • Battery, brakes, spark plugs, and most fluids are original
  • Vehicle idles a little rough, not bad.
  • Vehicle occasionally has difficulty starting (has happen twice in the last year) where jump start is required. (mostly when colder temps hit) No corrosion on battery.
  • Vehicle hits about 10 miles of rough gravel road each week. (which makes the engine compartment quite dirty)
If you're going to keep the car I'd do the following:

Replace air filter & cabin filter
Replace spark plugs (NGK - these motors are coil on plug so no wires to replace)
Full flush and replace brake fluid (not just a bleed)
Full flush and replace coolant (FL22 only)
Replace battery (if it needs jumping then it's time)
Recommend replacing serpentine belt and belt tensioner (The belt is cheap and at 100k miles is nearing it's end of life for rubber. I would replace the hydraulic tensioner at the same time while the belt is off as they are prone to leaking. There is a revised design out by Mazda so I would recommend going oem)

Personally, I would replace the transmission fluid. Although it's called "lifetime" fluid by Mazda, I don't know how long that really is in the corporate auto world. Some people freak out that your transmission will explode by stirring up the fluid if it's original. I would do the research and decide if it's worth the risk/trouble. It's quite easy to DIY for a drain and replace. If you want to replace the filter it does require dropping the bottom pan and is a little more labor intensive.

I don't know how much of this you can DIY (if any) but it'll save you quite a bit of money. Otherwise you're looking at around <$1000 for all this from a shop - more if you go to the dealer I would suspect.

Or you can just save the coin and buy a newer CX-5. Regardless, glad to hear yours is running relatively well given the age and mileage. I have a 2014 6 Touring with 124,000 miles that I've done all of the above to and she is still going strong.

Last edited by dasrider; 10-22-2018 at 08:31 AM.
Old 10-28-2018, 08:04 PM

Interesting thread. I was curious how many reports of high mileage CX-5's there are out there ? My 2016 is now out of warranty, has 35k miles mostly trouble free and I am wondering if this is a long term keeper or a 3 year and out car. Other than the couple of recalls I did have the front led driving lights fail and luckily were replaced under warranty but that is exactly the kind of problem I don't want out of warranty. ($2000 cost to replace btw). I'm not a big believer on extended warranties and this being a Mazda built in Japan I did not feel the need. All and all I'm happy with the car. It's mostly my wife's vehicle but when I drive it I am impressed by how tight everything feels. So is this a car to keep for 10 years? That new Acura RDX looks pretty sweet...

Old 04-25-2019, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by dasrider

Personally, I would replace the transmission fluid. Although it's called "lifetime" fluid by Mazda, I don't know how long that really is in the corporate auto world. Some people freak out that your transmission will explode by stirring up the fluid if it's original. I would do the research and decide if it's worth the risk/trouble. It's quite easy to DIY for a drain and replace. If you want to replace the filter it does require dropping the bottom pan and is a little more labor intensive.
Does the transmission have a filter? Stealership recommended a "flush" but I told then to just to a drain and replace. I guess I'm one of those who believe in not stirring up the gunk in and older transmission.