Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommend speaker upgrade 2023 CX-5 base

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2023, 11:23 AM
Default Recommend speaker upgrade 2023 CX-5 base

I’m not looking for anything to knock my socks off but just something better than the originals. This is the first car I have ever owned where I thought the speakers were so bad I that they needed to be replaced. Originally the bass and treble were up all the way and it was boomy, moving the bass and treble to the middle made it tolerable but still boomy and harsh. I will play around with the tone controls and driver/everywhere settings but ultimately will probably end up replacing at least some of the 4 speakers. Any recommendations that won’t break the bank?

Old 07-14-2023, 12:34 PM

You did not state which system you have?
But unfortunately, your post is not really a way any experience audiophile can recommend any speakers. While many OEM systems are not the best for individual taste you canceled out all the main areas of the sound productions?
Your description really sounds more like the area the speakers are mounted in and not necessarily the speakers themselves.

Old 07-14-2023, 12:45 PM

This is the base CX-5 with no options except paint. As stated I don’t expect the moon, only something listenable. I fully realize that only so much can be done.

Old 07-14-2023, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by dannyw
This is the base CX-5 with no options except paint. As stated I don’t expect the moon, only something listenable. I fully realize that only so much can be done.
Did you read my response?

I at least need to know which sound system your Mazda came with?

"boomy" means when referring to OEM speakers and thier location in most cases you need to pull the panels and install sound deadening material.
Boomy does not apply to upper mid range and upper frequencies.

Last edited by Callisto; 07-14-2023 at 01:01 PM.
Old 07-14-2023, 01:15 PM

It seems from what I found while eating my lunch your system comes with 6 speakers and no sub-woofer. IMHO you are pushing the EQ settings which is just mudding up the total sound reproduction. maybe look at investing first ion t a good quality powered subwoofers before starting to replace speakers?

Old 07-14-2023, 01:20 PM

As for what IMHO about the speakers here again unless you are going to invest in a better amplifier and still use all the MAZDA control setting for the stereo , just changing speakers is not likely going to get you what you want in sound and the stock amplifier will not support upgrading much for speakers. You will either destroy the speakers in a short while or burn you stock Mazda amp up.

Old 07-15-2023, 08:00 AM

I too am not sure what you mean by "boomy" either, as "boomy" to me is the bass sound.
Even with the base sound system in the CX-5 you can use the settings to get nothing but treble which is anything but "boomy".
Unless you are an audiophile, I believe most people can get the sound they are looking for by utilizing the "advanced" audio settings.
In reality road noise, windows sun/moon roof open/closed, heat or ac on/off, number of passengers cargo all impact vehicle audio.
You can never match the quality of a home system and to be totally honest it's all subject to personal preferences and hearing ability anyway.

Old 07-15-2023, 08:16 AM

Thank you all for your comments. After playing with the controls more extensively I think the sound is reasonable now. As I said I don’t expect much from a base no frills system but the “jazz” setting to be reasonable for my tastes. And yes I was also very confused by the apparent boominess (normally too much bass) of the sound even when set to mid bass and mid treble, with all doors and windows closed, no cargo, and only me in the car. For some reason changing to advanced controls and setting to jazz made this go away.

Old 07-15-2023, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by dannyw
Thank you all for your comments. After playing with the controls more extensively I think the sound is reasonable now. As I said I don’t expect much from a base no frills system but the “jazz” setting to be reasonable for my tastes. And yes I was also very confused by the apparent boominess (normally too much bass) of the sound even when set to mid bass and mid treble, with all doors and windows closed, no cargo, and only me in the car. For some reason changing to advanced controls and setting to jazz made this go away.
I primarily listen to Jazz(smooth jazz) and it took a lot of trial and error to make my system exactly what I wanted. I found looking playing pink noise through my system that my Jazz needed supported speakers in the mid bass. My original system was a MAZDA designed BOSE system in 2018 and I changed it only a few months purchasing my new Mazda.
see system here:
Mazda3 Things I like to do - Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Old 07-15-2023, 09:59 AM

It's great that you got a reasonable sound for your preferences in music and frequency levels.
My personal issue is I listen to a variety of music from new age jazz to heavy metal.
Trying to tune a vehicle audio system to accommodate those variables has so far been beyond my audiophile abilities.
Perhaps I need to go another route

Last edited by Lobstah; 07-15-2023 at 10:01 AM.

Quick Reply: Recommend speaker upgrade 2023 CX-5 base