Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear emblem removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2023, 11:59 AM
Default Rear emblem removal

I want to dechrome the rear of my ‘22 CX-5 Turbo and either paint the emblems black or replace them with black emblems. My question is do any of these emblems have pins and holes drilled in the hatch or are they all just mounted with 3M tape? Also are there gloss black replacement emblems out there to buy? I am not against leaving all of them off except for the large Mazda Logo. I definitely want that in black.

Old 01-15-2023, 12:56 PM
BWJ

All emblems have pins.

Old 01-15-2023, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by dano
I want to dechrome the rear of my ‘22 CX-5 Turbo and either paint the emblems black or replace them with black emblems. My question is do any of these emblems have pins and holes drilled in the hatch or are they all just mounted with 3M tape? Also are there gloss black replacement emblems out there to buy? I am not against leaving all of them off except for the large Mazda Logo. I definitely want that in black.
Yep, they have pins...
You can purchase gloss black/flat black or "carbon fiber" look overlays (or paint them any color you wish).
They can be found on eBay and various other websites.
They stick on with double-sided tape.
I purchased a carbon fiber (not real carbon fiber) and used marine sealant instead of the double-sided tape.
Rear emblem removal-s-l400.jpg

Old 01-16-2023, 07:11 AM

Here are the emblems on my ‘22 Turbo (excuse the dirt, lol) Do you think there are pins under the “Turbo” letters?

Old 01-16-2023, 07:31 AM

"Usually", though I'm not certain on the CX-5, that lettering/numbers is stick on.
They can be removed in several ways.
1. Heat gun and a plastic putty knife or the like.
2. Sliding strong dental floss behind the letters/numbers (which is what I used when I did my Honda Accord Coupe).
You' then may need to clean up any remaining adhesive with Goo Gone or the like (WD-40 works for this as well).
My son actually stuck a TURBO badge on my CX-5 as a joke and I didn't notice until my next oil change, when my mechanic pointed it out.
I removed it using dental floss but I'm still trying to come up with a good payback

Old 01-16-2023, 09:49 AM

model info are all stick on...Just the mazda logo has pins. They come off pretty easy, goo gone, wd-40, kerosene, dental floss, credit card, just two sided trim tape, nothing sharp, don't scratch the paint.

Old 01-16-2023, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by dano

Here are the emblems on my ‘22 Turbo (excuse the dirt, lol) Do you think there are pins under the “Turbo” letters?
You can *verify through any Mazda OEM part cataloging, but I am 99% sure those in your picture are taped.

Having personally done this mod:
*The actual Mazda symbol emblem is pinned!
Removing it will leave 2-3 holes directly into the truck. Properly eliminating them is welding the holes sanding priming and repainting the complete body part.

Last edited by Callisto; 01-16-2023 at 10:37 AM.
Old 01-16-2023, 12:21 PM
BWJ

AWD & Turbo have no pins.

Old 01-16-2023, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by BWJ
All emblems have pins.
Originally Posted by BWJ
AWD & Turbo have no pins.
Originally Posted by Callisto
You can *verify through any Mazda OEM part cataloging, but I am 99% sure those in your picture are taped.

Having personally done this mod:
*The actual Mazda symbol emblem is pinned!
Removing it will leave 2-3 holes directly into the truck. Properly eliminating them is welding the holes sanding priming and repainting the complete body part.
Maybe that's why I recommend that before anyone does this that they actually verify pin or taped emblems.

Old 01-16-2023, 01:01 PM
BWJ

Decals & emblems - 2 questions - 2 ansvars

Quick Reply: Rear emblem removal