Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Brakes worn with under 13,000 miles....

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2022, 05:07 PM
Default Rear Brakes worn with under 13,000 miles....

I brought my 2021 Carbon Edition into the dealer for an oil change and tire rotation today. During the multi point inspection they told me that my rear brakes were worn down below 40% and my front brakes were fine. They did replace the rear pads and resurfaced the rotors free of charge. Is anyone having rear brake issues with there 2021 CX5?

Old 09-22-2022, 08:55 AM

I'm at 20,000 miles, no problem. 2021 Signature

Old 10-17-2022, 02:42 PM

Having the same problem with 2021 carbon turbo @ 7500 miles

Old 10-17-2022, 04:38 PM

How odd. I had a 19 GT for 20k with no issues. My 21 GTR is at 13k and no issues as of yet. Are the two cars above mostly stop and go, or highway driving?

Old 10-18-2022, 07:28 AM

It's always possible for parts to be below manufacturing standards on any given manufacturing run including brake pads.
Not saying that is what is going on here but driving habits are normally the major cause of brake pad wear.
I consistently get near 50K plus with all OEM pads and more with performance ones.
But then I slowly brake, I don't jam them on right before the traffic light or the stop sign.
My father, a professional truck driver, taught me that your body should never move when coming to a normal stop.
My wife's vehicles used to require pads at 25K tops until I showed her how to brake properly.
I used the 3/4 cup of water in the cup holder and told her you need to be able to stop without spilling any water.

Old 10-23-2022, 11:08 AM

I wouldn't want to start a debate especially from some DIY.... but we (my group of mechanics, engineers and auto techies) have been noticing many brands with electric parking brakes that seem to have rear wearing sooner than the fronts? I personally have noticed that the rear clearance off hydraulic pressure seems to contact more so? After consulting with a couple of institutions they had not answer for it either. The auto manufactures I did contact said that there was no information regarding the engineering of the motor available to the public so I couldn't even look into the theory that the re-set maybe simply a closer tolerance and that everyday debris dust may be influencing the re-set clearances. Just a thought but in the end, I found nothing that could be considered out of normal and that this premature wearing of the rear comparing the find may be a new normal. Just a rambling thought! If there are any other that have experience in brake system especially having to do with brake bias and electrical parking brake systems i would love to hear from you and your thoughts!

Old 10-24-2022, 02:10 AM
BWJ

In addition, the CX5 has G-vectoring control+, which brakes the inner wheels in turns, it wears a lot more than on "normal" cars

Last edited by BWJ; 10-24-2022 at 02:13 AM.
Old 10-24-2022, 08:41 AM

So is this vector control even really noticed? Or just a way to burn through brakes faster?

Old 10-24-2022, 08:53 AM

If you drive aggressively, you can feel it and it is a PIA if you sport drive, and NO it does not wear the rear brakes faster. A vehicle still needs to brake more front than rear that is physics and that's is why currently all braking system still use brake bias no matter what computer-controlled traction system in use.

Old 10-24-2022, 09:48 AM

If G-vectoring uses the brakes as you drive to aid in cornering how would it not wear the brakes faster? This isn't logical. If the brakes can be applied by the car without you even knowing it or hitting the brake pedal, it certainly would increase wear, especially if you drive aggressively which should induce the system to intervene more often.

Quick Reply: Rear Brakes worn with under 13,000 miles....