Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question regarding the factory warranty from a first time Mazda owner

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2021, 11:05 AM
Default Question regarding the factory warranty from a first time Mazda owner

Question about the Mazda extended bumper-to-bumper warranty.
When buying a 2021 CX-5 GTR, the finance manager told me that I could only buy the bumper-to-bumper warranty from Mazda at the time of vehicle purchase. Is this true about Mazda USA??
Furthermore, finance manager said that if I did not buy the Mazda extended warranty at the time of vehicle purchase, my only other option would be to purchase an extended warranty from a 3rd party vehicle warranty provider. But if I do that, then I would always have to involve that 3rd party provider with any covered work after the original 3-year Mazda warranty had expired. This would make sense but it would also suck to have to involve others with covered repairs.
With all my prior vehicles, I would typically buy the extended warranty when the initial bumper-to-bumper warranty was about to run out. By this time, I know if I want to keep the car longer or not.

Thanks in Advance
2021 Mazda GT Reserve

Old 12-04-2021, 12:36 PM

Hmm, not sure about this but we got the extended warranty at time of purchase since we were sure that we will keep the car definitely longer than 3 years which is the expiration of the original bumper-to-bumper warranty.

Old 12-06-2021, 08:43 AM

How much did they want for the extended warranty and how long would it last?

Old 12-06-2021, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by adjuster1111
How much did they want for the extended warranty and how long would it last?
$1800 for 7 years/70000 miles. Btw, I usually drive about 7-8000 miles/year

Old 12-06-2021, 10:53 AM

Its hard for anyone to advise on extended warranty programs unless the contract is posted and we all are able to read it in its entirety. Even the factory standard warranty is long and complicated if anyone ever actually got to read one. Those are never as cut and dry as most think they are.

Old 12-06-2021, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
Its hard for anyone to advise on extended warranty programs unless the contract is posted and we all are able to read it in its entirety. Even the factory standard warranty is long and complicated if anyone ever actually got to read one. Those are never as cut and dry as most think they are.
True, but that was not my question.
My question was specifically if Mazda only allows a new car buyer to purchase an extended warranty at the time of vehicle purchase.

Old 12-06-2021, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by pilozm
True, but that was not my question.
My question was specifically if Mazda only allows a new car buyer to purchase an extended warranty at the time of vehicle purchase. [.
We were offed the MAZDA extended WARRATY program only at the time of purchase. But that was us and that was our dealership. I find that is not written in stone as universal among MAZDA dealerships?
It comes up at times when we service vehicles that have aftermarket warranty coverage. There is so much RED TAPE it is like dealing with workmen's compensation insurance. So generally, because of all the conditions the customers much pay for service up front and then deal with their own warranty company to get reimbursed.. We do try to stay withing what the career will cover for cost but even that is difficult because most do not look at the area market for parts prices or labor rates. the What we do is not uncommon among service shops.
Auto manufacture WARANTY coverage are very restrictive whom outside a Dealership they will allow to do warranty coverage. Even when a independent shop has more experienced and certified auto technician then many dealerships. You have to get pre-approved before doing a warranty service.
I know this even first hand having to deal with a BCM factory recall. Took me 5 minutes (I am ASE master technician and L1 &L2 39 years) to change it out, all the proper documentation even pictures and they will not remove it from the incomplete recall list!! LOL

Last edited by Callisto; 12-06-2021 at 12:37 PM.
Old 12-06-2021, 09:37 PM

It was $1200 for 6 years / 60K miles

Old 12-07-2021, 08:52 AM

At one point. the Finance manager said I already got the "discounted" price...lol.
From my original post, typically, I would never purchase the extended warranty at the time of purchase since I dont know for sure that I will like the car. So it is not about the price, for me. My primary concern was whether I had to purchase the extended warranty at time of vehicle purchase, as per Mazda policy, because Mazda would not sell the Mazda warranty at any other time.

Originally Posted by mazda_nc_dude
It was $1200 for 6 years / 60K miles

Old 12-07-2021, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by pilozm
At one point. the Finance manager said I already got the "discounted" price...lol.
From my original post, typically, I would never purchase the extended warranty at the time of purchase since I dont know for sure that I will like the car. So it is not about the price, for me. My primary concern was whether I had to purchase the extended warranty at time of vehicle purchase, as per Mazda policy, because Mazda would not sell the Mazda warranty at any other time.
I see. In my case, I always keep my cars for at least 6 years so I wanted the extended warranty at time of purchase.