Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Production Engineer discusses Mazda

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2023, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by THE CHIEF
... What possessed you to purchase the CX5 knowing of it's so called short comings ? Was it the great handling and ride ? The better than the competition fit and finish inside and out ? The price /value for money spent ? Did you buy it new ? Did you buy it used and get a great crazy low price . Something made you buy the CX5 ,what was it ?
All good questions. I bought the 2020 CX5 GT Premium AWD new as a touring car. I drove to Maine and back to Colorado twice a year. Unfortunately, after purchasing the car my health kept me from continuing that kind of driving and my car has 12,000 miles on it. I test drove all the Mazda's competition and bought it because it had the "feel" of a more expensive car, wasn't "trucky" feeling or driving, and wasn't large like a typical SUV. In those areas, I think it competes well with the higher quality small SUV premium cars (e.g. Audi, Lexus). In those respects it has more than exceeded my expectations and I don't really care about the MPG (although others may). HOWEVER, being a software engineer by education and profession, I am more demanding and less accepting when it comes to quality control in those areas and that is where this car is not up to standard. This failing was mentioned by two reviewers (actual owners of the vehicle) that I read in 2020. The problem with this kind of issue is that many people don't realize that the "premium" features (like navigation, intelligent cruise control, brake assist, etc) are affected by software within the car's computers. It isn't only "bugs," which can be fixed and haven't been, but design and documentation which really can't be fixed retroactively. To notice and appreciate these problems you have to own the car for awhile and I underestimated the problems. Now maybe like MPG it doesn't matter to everyone, but certainly needs to be brought to light. I've posted some of the specifics in other posts and will not repeat them here.

Last edited by bangorme; 02-13-2023 at 01:51 PM.
Old 02-13-2023, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by bangorme
. Now maybe like MPG it doesn't matter to everyone, but certainly needs to be brought to light. I've posted some of the specifics in other posts and will not repeat them here.
I don't think many are going to chase around to find where you posted past responses. You may want to at least post the http on this forum where they are?

As for the MPG as you are a software engineer by education and profession, then you can understand the ECU was programmed to meet specifically the emission standards set by some countries very strict ridged and REQUIRED emission standards. Anyone's Mazda MPG can be increased from a Experienced ECU/EFI Performance Calibrator. The only criterion is the program and device to access the ECU.
I would say keep an eye on Versa Tuner in the future for one of their "CANNED" tuning offers. While most are seeking to improve power that act of adjusting the ECU calibration to do that often all increase the MPG.
As n example on/y on my personal Mazda I have what I call the vacation Tunes. This ECU mapping, I created specifically to increase the MPG in a safe manor and still have relatively good power. I would "GUESS" about what the stock power rating using 87 octane fuel would be the overall equivalent. My Vacation Tunes gives me an overall average of 45mpg.

To be clear when I use the term "tunes" I am referring to several mappings I developed depending on where my weekend destination trip would be. And I take my laptop with me should I need to upload a different calibration depending of changes in weather, road and driving conditions, etc., or for the fun factor.

VersaTuner

Old 02-13-2023, 03:03 PM

[QUOTE=Callisto;212710]I don't think many are going to chase around to find where you posted past responses. /QUOTE]

That's fine lol.

Originally Posted by Callisto
As for the MPG ...

I would say keep an eye on Versa Tuner in the future for one of their "CANNED" tuning offers. While most are seeking to improve power that act of adjusting the ECU calibration to do that often all increase the MPG.
As n example on/y on my personal Mazda I have what I call the vacation Tunes. This ECU mapping, I created specifically to increase the MPG in a safe manor and still have relatively good power. I would "GUESS" about what the stock power rating using 87 octane fuel would be the overall equivalent. My Vacation Tunes gives me an overall average of 45mpg.

To be clear when I use the term "tunes" I am referring to several mappings I developed depending on where my weekend destination trip would be. And I take my laptop with me should I need to upload a different calibration depending of changes in weather, road and driving conditions, etc., or for the fun factor.

VersaTuner
That's great information, but unrelated to my last post (or any other of my posts in this thread). I didn't claim to know anything about what affects mpg. I was giving an opinion as to the strengths and weakness's of this car (in response to the OP/ responses) and one non-strength is the gas mileage. Last time I looked in Consumer's Report I believe it was listed as a negative. To ME... personally, I don't care. It isn't a negative. I don't feel competent to mess with ANY of the manufacturer software and don't advise anyone to do so. But that's just me. If you brick something, it's all yours baby.

Old 02-13-2023, 03:35 PM

[QUOTE=bangorme;212715]
Originally Posted by Callisto
I don't think many are going to chase around to find where you posted past responses. /QUOTE]

That's fine lol.

That's great information, but unrelated to my last post (or any other of my posts in this thread). I didn't claim to know anything about what affects mpg. I was giving an opinion as to the strengths and weakness's of this car (in response to the OP/ responses) and one non-strength is the gas mileage. Last time I looked in Consumer's Report I believe it was listed as a negative. To ME... personally, I don't care. It isn't a negative. I don't feel competent to mess with ANY of the manufacturer software and don't advise anyone to do so. But that's just me. If you brick something, it's all yours baby.
My response was more or less using your positive feedback and Mazda experience to expand a little about the MPG that is always on owners of vehicles minds.
While I no longer use consumers reports anymore in decades. I understand that many place their faith in them. I do miss the Myth Busters shows!
What I find personally amusing is I would guess 80% of new vehicles owners do not even know how to control/adjust or what all the features on the vehicles are! Forums can't be considered a way to judge any consensus because it accounts for less than 1 percent of the number of produced vehicles and there is member that post like myself on many other vehicles related forums with the same subject material.

Old 02-14-2023, 07:06 AM

I was giving an opinion as to the strengths and weakness's of this car (in response to the OP/ responses) and one non-strength is the gas mileage
Thank you for finally saying what I originally pointed out "opinions".
I lived in Bangor at one point in my life, back in the daze of Bud Leavitt and Dick Stacey's Country Western Jamboree.
So it gives me a better understanding of where you're coming from.
Now-a-days, aside from the Sea Dog and Masons in Brewer, I try and bypass "Paul Bunyan City" whenever I'm headed North

Old 02-14-2023, 12:47 PM

Best car for fit and finish in its price class. Mediocre gas mileage. However, I downgraded it on noise, electronics, and software. In those categories about one generation behind with poor integration. Mine is a 2020. Maybe the 2023's are better, as are its competitors I suspect.
I've come across the same conclusion. Gorgeous look, quality, and finish both interior and exterior. Simple to work with. Infotainment software is slow and old. Suspension is actually terrible as well; uncompliant and stiff on bumps yet the body roll is ridiculous. The 'meh' gas economy combined with a small tank and uncomfortable seats makes this car a terrible road trip car. Overall great choice if comparing to the CRV, RAV4, etc but if they have their eyes set to compete against the Germans, they have a lot of work to do.