Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Lift Gate

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2022, 04:53 PM
Default Power Lift Gate

Any ideas would be appreciated. I have a 2020 CX5 GT Premium package. I seem to remember the dealer (on another CX-5) opening the liftgate using the button on the exterior of the lift gate. However, mine doesn't do that. Carrying the fob, if I unlock all the doors and liftgate (either with the fob or the button on the drivers door), pressing the button on the liftgate locks everything back up. Pressing it again unlocks it. The only way to open the liftgate is with the fob. The owners manual says this:Operation conditions

Opening the liftgate

If the vehicle has satisfied all the following operation conditions, the power liftgate can be opened using the power function.
  • All doors and the liftgate are unlocked.
  • (Manual transaxle)

The ignition is switched OFF, or when the parking brake is applied with the shift lever in N and the ignition switched ON.
  • (Automatic transaxle)

The ignition is switched OFF, or the selector lever is in P with the ignition switched ON.
Closing the liftgate
  • (Manual transaxle)

The ignition is switched OFF, or when the parking brake is applied with the shift lever in N and the ignition switched ON.
  • (Automatic transaxle)

The ignition is switched OFF, or the selector lever is in P with the ignition switched ON.

Old 09-22-2022, 05:40 PM

It sounds like you're pressing the smaller button that's right of center that locks everything up. The larger rectangular button to open the liftgate is on center, just above the license plate.

Old 09-22-2022, 11:28 PM

Thanks Cad, you were right on. I've only got 5,000 miles on the car but never saw that button under the handle.

Old 09-23-2022, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by bangorme
Thanks Cad, you were right on. I've only got 5,000 miles on the car but never saw that button under the handle.
Huh! I wasn't aware of that either. I've just pressed the center part. I'll have to try it out. There's a reason to check this forum out. I thought I knew it all. ;-)

Old 07-10-2023, 09:02 PM

Does anyone know how to make the lift gate go higher? It’s at the highest default but 2” more would nice, longer struts ?

Old 07-11-2023, 06:22 AM

First, I would verify that the liftgate is at its maximum open position, and it hasn't been changed.
Second, I would ask why would you need it to go any higher than maximum?
Personally, I would not recommend installing struts that are longer than the OEM's.
It could damage the liftgate and/or mechanisms and would most likely void your warranty.
Though it does not pertain to your question, there was a recall for the power lift gate control unit on the 2020.

Old 07-11-2023, 09:10 AM

Totally agree about NOT changing the struts. That could be a disaster. Wasn't the recall for issues with the power lift gate module not going into sleep mode and draining the battery?

Old 07-11-2023, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Lobstah
First, I would verify that the liftgate is at its maximum open position, and it hasn't been changed.
Second, I would ask why would you need it to go any higher than maximum?
Personally, I would not recommend installing struts that are longer than the OEM's.
It could damage the liftgate and/or mechanisms and would most likely void your warranty.
Though it does not pertain to your question, there was a recall for the power lift gate control unit on the 2020.
checked and it’s at the highest default. Still too low for me at 6’1” not fun hitting my head. Most other vehicles seem to open higher than 6’. Love my CX5 but missing my RAV4 rear door.

Old 07-11-2023, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
Totally agree about NOT changing the struts. That could be a disaster. Wasn't the recall for issues with the power lift gate module not going into sleep mode and draining the battery?
Yes, you are correct.
I would add, at least according to my local Mazda mechanic, the faulty module could also cause "other issues" in few instances.
I had mine replaced and never had an issue.

Old 07-11-2023, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by RockyMTN
checked and it’s at the highest default. Still too low for me at 6’1” not fun hitting my head. Most other vehicles seem to open higher than 6’. Love my CX5 but missing my RAV4 rear door.
Banging the noggin indeed sucks. I'm 5' 11" and would frequently bang/cut my bald head when entering/exiting my convertible BMW Z3 when the top was up.
Thankfully I generally used it with the top down though I'm uncertain as to how much brain function it actually affected.