Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible VVT Solenoid issue?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2021, 11:18 PM
Default Possible VVT Solenoid issue?

Hi everyone,

I had posted the other day about my 2014 acting odd. It's quite down on power and just acting really sluggish. I went out today and just poked around it a bit. I unhooked the battery, cleaned the MAF sensor, and removed the engine cover and just looked around. Upon doing this I noticed the VVT Solenoid is quite saturated with oil. Around the unit and also the wiring connector was wet. I unhooked it and cleaned it up as much as possible with some sensor cleaner. After taking it for a drive I noticed no change in the way it acts at all. Still low on power, especially at highway speeds where stomping the pedal almost does nothing.. I have no engine codes at all, but is it possible that the VVT Solenoid is not working to change the timing and that's why I'm down on power? I've googled around quite a bit and can see that it leaking seems to be a common issue, and I can see how to change it, but I can't really see anything about it's performance or how to diagnose it. Has anyone run into this?

Old 12-09-2021, 03:57 AM
Super Moderator

Any VVT issues would trigger DTC's.

I recommend getting it scanned for codes by Mazda. Their MMDS scan tool reads more codes than generic scan tools.