Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Possible New Owner :-)

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 11:30 PM
Default Found the 2014 :-)

Only one bummer, they replaced the beautiful dark red with a brighter red, does not look pearl or metallic either, but the good news.

Based on what I can tell its like $900 more and does have the 30 more HP and 34 more Torque. Loses only 1 mpg city and 3 hwy. 2014 is also lighter again, based on what I have read, it should be quite a nice balance of fuel economy and nice power.

I will have to go for the Sky Blue now, and find a dealer that will give me a descent deal, probably a bigger hurdle :-(

Thanks again for all the input. Chris

Old 02-01-2013, 06:31 AM

Just looked up some CX-5 numbers using kbb real quick just for comparison. I used the GT with the Tech Package on both years:

2013 - 26c/32h, 30,715 msrp / 29,745 invoice
2014 - 25c/32h, 31,290 msrp / 30,280 invoice

The 2.0L is standard across all models in 2013. In 2014, the Sport trim has the 2.0L standard and the Touring and Grand Touring trims have the 2.5L engine standard.

SUVs, Crossover Vehicles, Hatchbacks, Sports Cars, New Cars | Mazda USA has finally just updated their website to the 2014's as well.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:11 AM
Super Moderator

I cant understand that we are only 1 month into 2013 but car manufactures are releasing "2014" models. Seems crazy to me.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:29 PM
Post Also a new potential owner

I too am a potential owner of the CX5. I have for many years driven either Lexus and Toyotas and really knew nothing about Mazda at all.

Here recently, I have driven both the 2013 and 2014 GT. I must admit after driving the 2013 model I was happy with all of the features for the price but was going to walk away due to the lack of hp.

A week later, the 2014 model came to the dealership and after test driving it, the CX5 was back on my list.

I have read a lot of discussion boards and forums and it seems overall the main complaints have been with the NAV/Voice recognition and the horsepower. The 2014 model took care of the hp problem but it seems the NAV/Voice problems may still exist. Which by the way when I asked the salesman about it, he seemed to know nothing about it. REALLY?

My experiences from the test drives thus far (will do more) are:
1 - At night, there is not enough light on the doors to see the mirrors to make adjustments unless you turn the overhead light on

2- There is not a compass available in the auto dimming mirror in the GT package if you get the technology package. There is an option mirror available with the compass but not available with a fully loaded GT

3 - At night, when I drove on an unlit road, the headlights would not shine far out in front. The lit area from the lights would span wide but not too far out in front. The only way to see out further was turning on the high beams.

4- The 2014 has great get up and go now. Not reluctant to get on the highways that have short entrance ramps.

5- Eventhouh the CX5 has bose speakers, the sound seems a little dull even after making adjustments.

6- There is no automatic power lift door feature; only manual

In summary, I have been pleasantly surprised with the car overall and I must admit I am having a hard time making a decision. The 2013 Toyota RAV4 has just hit the dealerships and I am in the process of comparing the two vehicles.

As stated in one of the other posts, my decision will boil down to what is the most important to me as a driver. I must say though, the NAV issues do have me concerned and that is one of the features that is important to me to have in a vehicle.

I would love to hear back from existing owners of the CX5 and I hope my information helps future CX5 buyers.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:49 AM

Interesting assesment, let me offer my opinions on your observations after a 5 weeks of daily driving (mind you I have an MT Sport model...) if you would be so kind...
Originally Posted by sthrnbell

My experiences from the test drives thus far (will do more) are:
1 - At night, there is not enough light on the doors to see the mirrors to make adjustments unless you turn the overhead light on
Interesting point, but why might you need to do this other than someone else having driven the car and having changed them? I am the only driver of the CX-5 so no issue there unless I move one while washing.

2- There is not a compass available in the auto dimming mirror in the GT package if you get the technology package. There is an option mirror available with the compass but not available with a fully loaded GT
Sun during the day and the moon at night, this is how I navigate Actually, don't pay the silly money from Mazda for one, buy one aftermarket from here (it has what you want):

Buy Mazda CX-5 Accessories - Discount Genuine Mazda Accessories

3 - At night, when I drove on an unlit road, the headlights would not shine far out in front. The lit area from the lights would span wide but not too far out in front. The only way to see out further was turning on the high beams.
Projector type headlights, and think of the side lighting as improving peripheral vision which would valuable in rural, deer infested areas. I noticed this at first, but I've gotten used to this aspect and no longer consider it in the least as I find I can see well enough down road.

4- The 2014 has great get up and go now. Not reluctant to get on the highways that have short entrance ramps.
I've read this over and over, and neither is my 2.0, you just need to give it a bit more stick and she'll make it there without an issue. Use the manual mode if you have to...

5- Eventhouh the CX5 has bose speakers, the sound seems a little dull even after making adjustments.
Don't buy the Bose system if possible (probably not...) replace the OEM speakers with something much better (Polk, Infinity, Mark Levinson system from a wrecked Lexus lol), preferably a component set-up. I have a freshly purchased set of Infinity 2 ways in the kitchen awaiting install.

6- There is no automatic power lift door feature; only manual
The Ford idea is over sold, who the heck tries to access a vehicle with an arm full of packages lol

In summary, I have been pleasantly surprised with the car overall and I must admit I am having a hard time making a decision. The 2013 Toyota RAV4 has just hit the dealerships and I am in the process of comparing the two vehicles.

As stated in one of the other posts, my decision will boil down to what is the most important to me as a driver. I must say though, the NAV issues do have me concerned and that is one of the features that is important to me to have in a vehicle.

I would love to hear back from existing owners of the CX5 and I hope my information helps future CX5 buyers.
Certainly some valuable points and observations. I think so many people have smartphones anymore and use them for navigation that I think the idea of onboard navigation is getting old, but that's my opinion though I'm sure the real world data might prove otherwise which is why Mazda hooked up with Tom-Tom.

That said, there are plenty of aftermarket options that would cover some of the features (but not all... BSM) people are looking for that tend to work better. JVC and such makes really nice head units that have great phone integration features, that should I want this in the future I'm satisfied I can have it and install it myself.

I personally didn't buy my CX-5 for any other reason than that I wanted a manual transmission with lots of room for my family and camping and that it would be my daily driver getting better mpgs than what I was driving (which it does). I would have liked to get leather but there again that can be added (and tailored to my own tastes) later for a reasonable price. All of that and the thing drives wonderful, a real joy to own as a driver.

I'd wager that most who buy the upper level trims with all the bells and whistles are more or less happy with them, but as most forums will show you this is where you hear the downsides or complaints. I know that for most people the last thing they want to do is to begin modifying something expensive that they have just bought, but sometimes that is the only way to get exactly what you might desire or need. And while Mazda generally puts out quality vehicles, the CX-5 being a new platform and such is without it's teething issues. So maybe the 2014 is the one to buy in hopes that Mazda has ironed out some of the issues.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:46 AM

So did anybody get a m.y. 2014 here?