Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performing Oil Changes on 2018 CX-5 - Warranty Concerns

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 08:27 AM
Default Performing Oil Changes on 2018 CX-5 - Warranty Concerns

Hi All,

If this has been discussed previously please disregard and link me to that thread as I have not been able to locate one. I purchased a 2018 CX5 in April and was considering doing the oil changes myself. It costs about less than half to do it yourself compared to the dealer ($90) and i also would just prefer to DYI. In the warranty documentation, the following is stated:

Note: If you elect to perform maintenance yourself or have your vehicle serviced at a location other than an Authorized Mazda Dealer, Mazda requires that all fluids, parts
and materials must meet Mazda standards for durability and performance as described in your Owner’s Manual.
For self maintenance, a statement that you completed the maintenance yourself, displaying mileage and the date the work was performed. Also, receipts for the replacement parts (fluid, filters, etc.) indicating the date and mileage must accompany this statement.

Im wondering if anyone has opted to do basic maintenance on their own like this and or if it is best to just bite the bullet and pay for service to avoid any headache down the road should something arise during the warranty period. I also found it odd that for US and Puerto Rico it states the CX5 oil interval change can be 1yr for the timeframe but in Canada it is only 6 months. Is that weather related?

Old 12-14-2018, 10:16 AM

Keep receipts showing that the oil and filters meed Mazda spec you should not have a problem. I've found deals online for Mazda OEM filters at similar prices than aftermarket. I do my own changes and have never been questioned. Disclaimer: I've never had a major engine disaster, but if you can show you kept the oil changed, I can't see how Mazda would weasel out of a claim. Regarding different countries intervals, I've no clue.

Old 12-14-2018, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Chris!
Keep receipts showing that the oil and filters meed Mazda spec you should not have a problem. I've found deals online for Mazda OEM filters at similar prices than aftermarket. I do my own changes and have never been questioned. Disclaimer: I've never had a major engine disaster, but if you can show you kept the oil changed, I can't see how Mazda would weasel out of a claim. Regarding different countries intervals, I've no clue.
Thanks Chris.

Old 12-15-2018, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by dal524
Hi All,
Howdy,
I read every response in this thread and it full of ....shall we say interesting information and even some really bad information ..

First read about what is called the The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Primarily for USA based customers but....
I have a personal business attorney that has read this from front to back and even in other countries when direct warranty issues covered under some of the protection set by this although primarily for USA can be used for support.
Simply put you have a right to do almost any work on your car or have it serviced other then a dealer . Just common sence keep receipts and log the time date service you performed and mileage.
Choose at least the basic requirements for oil choice. You can use most any , your vehicle information supplicated by that aftermarket oil filter. If you have a Turbo Charged Engine YES you can use none synthetic oils unless there is a NOTE from the auto manufacture in the owners manual or a factory service manual reading and exactly worded NOT to use none synthetic oils.

Last edited by Callisto; 12-15-2018 at 01:05 PM.
Old 12-15-2018, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Chris!
A thought when reading causal information available...
CANADA has some interesting emission regulations. For a while they wanted to bring them up to USA standards for vehicles. Now it may be that they are going a step a head of US. The changing of engine oils sooner directly impacts the tail pipe emissions. Decades of data collected shows that going more then 5k miles or 12 months on a gasoline engine the level of HC's and Co's start to increase. Even though they may stay within the emission levels requirement for a given year and engine type. IDK it is just a thought of mine and I did not research the information in depth?

Old 12-15-2018, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
Howdy,
I read every response in this thread and it full of ....shall we say interesting information and even some really bad information ..

First read about what is called the The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Primarily for USA based customers but....
I have a personal business attorney that has read this from front to back and even in other countries when direct warranty issues covered under some of the protection set by this although primarily for USA can be used for support.
Simply put you have a right to do almost any work on your car or have it serviced other then a dealer . Just common sence keep receipts and log the time date service you performed and mileage.
Choose at least the basic requirements for oil choice. You can use most any , your vehicle information supplicated by that aftermarket oil filter. If you have a Turbo Charged Engine YES you can use none synthetic oils unless there is a NOTE from the auto manufacture in the owners manual or a factory service manual reading and exactly worded NOT to use none synthetic oils.
Thank you for going over this once again. I just don't have the patience to answer these types of questions as every single auto forum I have ever been on in the past 15 years has the same question posted time and time again and the answer is always the same. Also, a manufacturer has to be able to prove that omitted or incorrectly performed service caused the actual component failure in question. If the owner has kept reasonable records and receipts of all the service he's performed and it meets the car maker's recommended service requirements, it's pretty hard for them to prove that using a Fram air or oil filter at the recommended interval was the cause of a catastrophic engine failure.

Old 12-15-2018, 05:14 PM

I do my own oil changes. It’s easy to keep receipts and proof. I use my iPhone to take photos of the oil and filter with the receipts. Everything is dated and kept in my Notes app.

You also know that the job was done right and done well and you know exactly what is in the sump.

Old 12-15-2018, 10:41 PM

Are there any specific oil/ oil filters anyone would recommend? I was reading the mazda brand filter has special features for the skyactive engine. Is it possible to purchase them from the dealership? Was gonna go sith Castrol edge synthetic 0w-20 for the oil.

Old 12-16-2018, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by paris1
Thank you for going over this once again. I just don't have the patience to answer these types of questions as every single auto forum I have ever been on in the past 15 years has the same question posted time and time again and the answer is always the same. .
Ya after after my self like you being on forums since around the mid 90's questions about everything has been asked and answered at least a thousand s times. LOL

Originally Posted by Puyapim
I do my own oil changes. It’s easy to keep receipts and proof. I use my iPhone to take photos of the oil and filter with the receipts. Everything is dated and kept in my Notes app.

You also know that the job was done right and done well and you know exactly what is in the sump.
Originally Posted by dal524
Are there any specific oil/ oil filters anyone would recommend? .
^^ wow that is a "Pandora's" box question.

Its still pretty simple.... use what ever you want as long as the oil meets the minimum OE requirements and that the oil filter you choose has the application guide directly from that manufacture with your make, model, year, engine size and read ALL the sub NOTES!!!!

Here is what I personally do:

]

Old 12-17-2018, 03:59 AM
Super Moderator

For a vehicle under warranty, I would stick with genuine filters. Have a chat with your local dealership & ask them what oil they use.

Quick Reply: Performing Oil Changes on 2018 CX-5 - Warranty Concerns