Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parrot Asteroid in Mazda CX-5 Sport 5 speed Manual

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 09:12 PM
Default Parrot Asteroid in Mazda CX-5 Sport 5 speed Manual

So last Sunday I completed my installation of Parrot Asteroid Smart in our 2014 CX-5 with manual tranny. Here is the final list of parts used by me:
Parrot Asteroid Smart $470 from Crutchfield Parrot ASTEROID Smart
Metra 95-7522B Dash Kit $15 from Crutchfield
Axxess Steering Wheel interface and harness, item # 120ASWC1 about $50 from Crutchfield after discount (I updated it to the latest firmware prior to installation)
Metra Turbo Wiring Harness for Most 2001 and Later Mazda Vehicles Model # 70-7903 (this one plugs into Mazda white OEM connector)
Metra 40-HD10 Antenna Adapter Item #: 12040HD10
Axxess AX-SWC-PARROT Steering Wheel Control Harness Item # 120AXSCPRT
Metra AX-TOYUSB USB Port Cable (this adapter allows to retain factory USB located under armrest)
Boss lpc35 backup camera $30 in Fry's Electronics FRYS.com*|*AVA

Here is my story; Crutchfield sale person originally recommended for me to use PAC RP4-MZ11 Steering Wheel Wiring Interface instead of the warning on their website telling me Parrot requires Axxess interface P/N 120ASWC1. I trusted the sale rep only to learn the hard way the PAC interface does not work. Some guys with Crutchfield are experts and some are not; it really depends which one you end up with. The customer service rep apologized to me that someone would suggest to use PAC with Parrot and sent me Axxess interface free of charge. The Crutchfield website also shows incorrect factory USB adapter part Metra AX-MAZUSB USB Adapter for Mazda. This adapter does not work with the base Sanyo radio with no bluetooth in 2014 CX-5. What frustrates me is that after explaining above to the customer service three weeks ago their website still shows incorrect part number. The part you will need is Metra AX-TOYUSB. To make backup camera work you will need to:
1. Connect camera's red/black power wires to positive/negative wires going to reverse light in rear hatch
2. Run video cable with yellow RCA jack from the back of the vehicle to the back of the radio
3. Run single 'trigger' wire connected to positive wire going to reverse light form the back of the vehicle to the back of the radio and connect it to orange wire (backup camera) coming back from Parrot harness. If you can find reverse position sensor in the front of the vehicle you can connect the orange wire to it but I had no luck finding one.
You will also need to change advanced settings in the radio to enable 'remote control' it has a steering wheel logo. After I made all the connections the radio detected Axxess steering wheel interface installed. You will also need to enable backup camera application to start video automatically when in reverse. To make connections with reverse lights wires I used posi-tap connectors Posi-Products Electrical Connector Kits
To connect two wires ends I used Posi-Connectors Posi-Products
I was only able to get following steering wheel controls working: volume up/down, seek/next up and seek/next down. After another call to Crutchfield I was told 'Mute' button does not work with Parrot. With the seek buttons sometime it requires double click instead of single one to work. Overall I do like Parrot. The bluetooth works very well, it comes with four USB rear ports (one dedicated for iPhone). It does take a bit long to start first time but this does not bother me. The included iGo Primo GPS app does not state street name. The solution would be to pay about 70 for TomTom from Asteroid App store. The radio runs on the older version of Android and can be rooted to install additional apps from Android Store. I tried to root it but I run into some problems and gave up for now. It definitely can be done. Make sure the radio is updated to the latest firmware. My was updated automatically after connecting to my home wi-fi. Let me know if you have questions.