Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parchment leather durability?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2021, 10:34 PM
Default Parchment leather durability?

We are planning to order parchment leather interior on our new Grand Touring Reserve. Anyone have experience with this interior? How well it holds up? Cracking? Discoloration?

Thanks.

Old 04-13-2021, 07:05 AM

Just as white trousers show dirt much more than darker ones, parchment-colored leather shows dirt and wear and tear more than dark leather. I bought a new Toyota Avalon with parchment-colored leather years ago, and the parchment leather didn't age well here in sunny Florida, my tinted windows and frequent cleaning notwithstanding. By the time I sold the car a few years later, the parchment-colored leather showed its age much more than the darker upholstery I've had in other cars. That was one of the top reasons I got rid of the Avalon. That taught me a good but simple lesson: avoid light-colored upholstery, especially if you tend to keep your cars for a decade or more as I do. My next car was a new 2010 Lexus whose black leather seats still look good, so when I went for a new CX-5 I ordered it with black seats. Your mileage may vary.

MiltB, Pompano Beach, FL

Old 04-13-2021, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by miltbaker
Just as white trousers show dirt much more than darker ones, parchment-colored leather shows dirt and wear and tear more than dark leather. I bought a new Toyota Avalon with parchment-colored leather years ago, and the parchment leather didn't age well here in sunny Florida, my tinted windows and frequent cleaning notwithstanding. By the time I sold the car a few years later, the parchment-colored leather showed its age much more than the darker upholstery I've had in other cars. That was one of the top reasons I got rid of the Avalon. That taught me a good but simple lesson: avoid light-colored upholstery, especially if you tend to keep your cars for a decade or more as I do. My next car was a new 2010 Lexus whose black leather seats still look good, so when I went for a new CX-5 I ordered it with black seats. Your mileage may vary.

MiltB, Pompano Beach, FL
That was much more concise than my explanation! Good job. This is why we usually buy black leather seats.

Old 04-13-2021, 02:23 PM
Smile

Thanks, Chas2. I call 'em as I see 'em, and while parchment-colored leather looks great in the showroom, IMHO it's not really practical for a work-a-day vehicle.

MiltB

Old 04-14-2021, 06:02 PM

I do maintain the leather seats in my other cars with Lexol cleaner/conditioner and Leather Honey and the seats have held up well (light gray and medium brown). My wife doesn't like black unfortunately, she believes they are too hot in the AZ sun. And she's not a fan of the dark brown in the Signature, (interior looks too dark and gloomy) so Parchment seemed to fit the bill.

I wonder how well the Mazda parchment leather has held up over time. We intend to keep this car for a long time (she kept her Camry for over 20 years and the brown interior still looks very good, esp for 200k miles worth of sitting on them.).

Old 04-14-2021, 09:42 PM

I have a 2018 CX-5 GT with parchment leather. Looks just as good as the day I bought it 3 years ago. I take care of my vehicles better than most people I know though. I use Zaino leather cleaner and conditioner on the front seats periodically.

Old 04-14-2021, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by dlgunter
I have a 2018 CX-5 GT with parchment leather. Looks just as good as the day I bought it 3 years ago. I take care of my vehicles better than most people I know though. I use Zaino leather cleaner and conditioner on the front seats periodically.
That's good to hear.

I'm also one of those guys for whom a fun day is a bumber to bumper car detailing. So the leather will see lots of love.

Old 12-25-2023, 02:34 AM

I haven't personally tried out parchment leather interior, but I can definitely give you some info on leather durability and care. Leather is generally known to be pretty tough and long-lasting. But when it comes to parchment leather, it's a bit more delicate and needs some extra TLC to keep it looking fabulous. Here are a couple of tips to ensure your parchment leather holds up well: 1. Keep it clean: Give your leather interior a wipe-down every now and then with a soft, damp cloth to get rid of any dirt or spills. Stay away from harsh chemicals or rough materials that could damage the leather. 2. Shield it from sunlight: Too much sun exposure can cause fading and discoloration. Try using window shades or parking in shaded spots to protect your leather from those harmful UV rays. 3. Give it a drink: Leather conditioners are like a refreshing drink for your leather. They help keep it moisturized and prevent it from drying out and cracking. Look for products made specifically for parchment leather or check out the manufacturer's recommendations. If you're looking for more detailed info and products to care for your leather, you might find this website helpful https://vonbaer.com/. They've got a bunch of stuff for leather care and some valuable tips too.

Last edited by rururustis; 12-27-2023 at 01:55 AM.
Old 12-25-2023, 09:19 AM

LOL you can always tell how people treat their vehicles on some threads.
Leather in general no matter the color wears by how it is treated and cared for. it is as simple as that!
I have owned cars with WHITE Leather brown, tan, etc.,and the black. If they. You would be hard pressed to find any upholstery shop that would tell you that the color has to do with wear prosperities.

oh and NO *parchment Leather is not more delicate than any other leather.

*(please post the factual information source if incorrect)

Originally Posted by rururustis
I haven't personally tried out parchment leather interior, but I can definitely give you some info on leather durability and care. Leather is generally known to be pretty tough and long-lasting. But when it comes to parchment leather, it's a bit more delicate and needs some extra TLC to keep it looking fabulous. Here are a couple of tips to ensure your parchment leather holds up well: 1. Keep it clean: Give your leather interior a wipe-down every now and then with a soft, damp cloth to get rid of any dirt or spills. Stay away from harsh chemicals or rough materials that could damage the leather. 2. Shield it from sunlight: Too much sun exposure can cause fading and discoloration. Try using window shades or parking in shaded spots to protect your leather from those harmful UV rays. 3. Give it a drink: Leather conditioners are like a refreshing drink for your leather. They help keep it moisturized and prevent it from drying out and cracking.
Welcome to the forum

Your response is really basic common sense pertaining to any vehicle leather interior parts.

Last edited by Callisto; 12-25-2023 at 09:25 AM.
Old 12-29-2023, 03:18 PM

I have a 2021 with Parchment and it looks showroom. I wipe it down occasionally. I tend to keep my vehicles clean. Love the interior.