Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil change advice and new tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2022, 11:34 PM
Default Oil change advice and new tires

Greetings....looking for advice please on oil change for a 2016 Grand Touring, 35,000 miles - is there a special oil (full synthetic, brand?) and oil filter I should request? I've not had an oil change in about 15,000 miles. I'm having the oil change done at my local Pep Boys. I installed a new engine filter myself a few days ago.

Also, I'm having a set of Continental CROSS CONTACT LX25 225/55R19 tires fitted by Pep Boys (ordered on Amazon $200 each) - anything I should keep an eye out for when they're installing them? I still have the original Toro OEMs which have been the harshest ride I've ever known on any car I've ever driven so defo looking forward to the Continentals.

Thanks,

Old 06-16-2022, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Dpthom
Greetings....looking for advice please on oil change for a 2016 Grand Touring, 35,000 miles - is there a special oil (full synthetic, brand?) and oil filter I should request? I've not had an oil change in about 15,000 miles. I'm having the oil change done at my local Pep Boys. I installed a new engine filter myself a few days ago.

Also, I'm having a set of Continental CROSS CONTACT LX25 225/55R19 tires fitted by Pep Boys (ordered on Amazon $200 each) - anything I should keep an eye out for when they're installing them? I still have the original Toro OEMs which have been the harshest ride I've ever known on any car I've ever driven so defo looking forward to the Continentals.

Thanks,
Synthetic oil is most always a good choice; any brand will do, even Wal-mart house brand (SuperTech). You should consult your
owner's manual about miles, you are way over. 7500 for NA engines, 5000 for those with a turbo.
Any major brand oil filter will work, I personally go oversize with a Fram XG7317.

My 2¢

Old 06-16-2022, 01:18 PM

Thanks for you help. Very grateful.

Old 06-17-2022, 12:37 AM

Is there any way of checking for damage to the engine internals due to lack of oil change?

Old 06-17-2022, 10:04 AM

Thanks,

If you changed the filter but not the oil, it's now full of old oil. When you change the oil, you have a filters worth of old oil in there. I'm not really comfortable running 5000 miles on an oil change. I always changed it at 3000 but with the cost of synthetic, I'll go with the factory manual. 15,000 isn't a good idea. Oil does a lot of things. It grabs and holds contaminants. It lubricates and cools bearings. Like another poster said, how much damage was done to the internals.

Old 06-17-2022, 12:20 PM

Here's hoping by engine filter he meant "air".
Otherwise, I doubt there is much if any oil showing on the dipstick.

Old 06-17-2022, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Grouch
If you changed the filter but not the oil, it's now full of old oil. When you change the oil, you have a filters worth of old oil in there. I'm not really comfortable running 5000 miles on an oil change. I always changed it at 3000 but with the cost of synthetic, I'll go with the factory manual. 15,000 isn't a good idea. Oil does a lot of things. It grabs and holds contaminants. It lubricates and cools bearings. Like another poster said, how much damage was done to the internals.
well we are now in he 21st Century of synthetic oil…Amsoil makes a 25,0000 oil and a 15,000 mile filter or one year, as does Mobil 1 and many other manufacturers. Make the change, and save yourself time and money, or not…but the science and the options are there.

Old 06-17-2022, 01:02 PM

Thanks Alan.....

Old 06-18-2022, 05:53 AM

Is there any way of checking for damage to the engine internals due to lack of oil change?
I wouldn't worry about premature wear or damage. Prolonging the oil change interval wasn't a great idea, but is not likely to do any significant damage if done only once. As long as you keep up with oil changes at the recommended interval in the future, keep an eye on oil consumption in case it burns a bit of oil now...not much you can do, even if there is a bit of additional wear due to the long interval.

Old 06-18-2022, 06:18 AM

A reasonable method for evaluating early signs of wear might be via chemical analysis of your oil. It can analyze the contaminants of various compounds and heavy metals in the oil from your vehicle, and (if you do them every so often) compare those changes over time.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com

As suggested earlier, I doubt much impact occurred from extending the interval just once, assuming the car's computer didn't complain of things and so long as the oil level wasn't too low to cause serious damage.

Quick Reply: Oil change advice and new tires