Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Oil capacity?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2020, 01:40 PM
Banned
Default Oil capacity?

2017 CX-5 bought a week ago. Checked the oil a few times and it was always right on the FULL mark.

Changed oil yesterday and after 5 qts it still shows half way between FULL and ADD cold.

I poured the old oil back into the 5 qt jug and it was slightly more than 5 qts

Old 08-10-2020, 01:48 PM

I am not sure where your question is?

The best advise would have been when you changed you oil and filter to replace the oil @4.5 start engine let it get warm and then recheck. You should not need more then 5 quarts to fill the sump. If you are still getting a slightly low reading then either the dip stick is not being inserted all the way or the possibility it may be the incorrect dip stick.
DO NOT OVERFILL YOUR ENGINE

Old 08-10-2020, 02:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by notsofast
2017 CX-5 bought a week ago. Checked the oil a few times and it was always right on the FULL mark.

Changed oil yesterday and after 5 qts it still shows half way between FULL and ADD cold.

I poured the old oil back into the 5 qt jug and it was slightly more than 5 qts
I did do that. 4.5 qts showed at ADD line an hour after shutting engine off. Added another 1/2 qt and it is now half way between ADD and FULL.

when I checked it at dealership before starting it it was on FULL line. I drained out over 5 qts

Old 08-10-2020, 02:15 PM

OK ! I read your response please go read mine again!

Your engine does not require and should not have more then 5 quarts!

Old 08-10-2020, 03:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Callisto
OK ! I read your response please go read mine again!

Your engine does not require and should not have more then 5 quarts!
I understand that. Your post doesn’t explain why the dealer had more than 5 qts in it to bring it up to full line. The dipstick is all the way in.
Ill leave it where it now.

Old 08-10-2020, 03:28 PM

I understand that. Your post doesn’t explain why the dealer had more than 5 qts in it to bring it up to full line. The dipstick is all the way in.
Ill leave it where it now.
It should have been plain and simple. Ours is not to find out why but to solve the current problem or question. Your engine should not ever have more then 5 qTs. That is the most important thing.... why all the other things happened, well I am sure maybe you might figure it out and let us know. The important thing is not to over fill your engines oil!

Old 08-11-2020, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

Notsofast, how exactly did you check the oil after servicing? Did you follow the exact instructions in you owners manual?

I am only asking, because, for the skyactiv engines,, there is a specific process to follow for correctly checking oil level.

Old 08-11-2020, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator

The 2.5 litre skyactiv engine takes about 4.5 or 4.6 litres / 4.8 or 4.9 US quarts of oil after replacing the oil & filter.

If the oil level isn't correcting checked, it can lead to a low reading on the dipstick & fool people into adding extra oil. If someone at the dealership isn't doing their job 100%, overfilling can occur.

Old 08-11-2020, 09:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
Notsofast, how exactly did you check the oil after servicing? Did you follow the exact instructions in you owners manual?

I am only asking, because, for the skyactiv engines,, there is a specific process to follow for correctly checking oil level.
I don’t have an owners manual and I’ve never heard of any other way to check oil. I know if I check oil with full synthetic right after shutting off engine it will be low. If I wait an hour it will be accurate. If I check it after it sat all night it will be accurate.

Old 08-11-2020, 10:08 AM

I don’t have an owners manual and I’ve never heard of any other way to check oil. I know if I check oil with full synthetic right after shutting off engine it will be low. If I wait an hour it will be accurate. If I check it after it sat all night it will be accurate.
Now that is a new one ... not really sure there is any empirical Data that none synthetic oil would do anything different on the dip stick.

Naturally the longer you wait to check after shutting the engine off the more oil will go to the lower parts of the engine and into the sump.

Look.... while we stress not to over fill , the sump (oil pan) will actually hold almost 5.5 quarts and still not touch the lip of the sump which could cause oil saturation if there is a gasket instead of sealer only nor does slightly over filling interfere with any reciprocating engine parts. So technically although we are telling you DONT overfill.... be reasonable and just use a little DIY (do it yourself) common sence having to do with measuring the oil replacement checking the dipstick.

Quick Reply: Oil capacity?