Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Sirius XM?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 02:37 PM
Default No Sirius XM?

I bought a 2016.5 CX-5 Grand Touring. I noticed there was xm showing in the menu but it was grayed out. Figured it was because it was a new car and needed to be activated. Bought the car, which I love. I've come to find out that it does not have xm. I could only ha e had xm radio if I would have bought a $1500 tech package. This car was bought in Canada. I now live in the US and have found out that US cars have xm standard on the grand touring. What the hell! I spent $36,000 on a car and it doesn't have xm? I looked at tons of cars before deciding on this one. They all had it standard. I am hugely disappointed. Been calling Mazda and getting nowhere. If it's standard in the us, that tells me it must just be a module that enables it. No one can tell me how to get this module to enable it on my car. Mazda sucks.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:54 PM

The Sirius XM module is available for the 2014 on the Mazda Owners Site if you go to Service & Parts, then Shop Accessories. I don't know if it is there for other years though. Go to https://www.mazdausa.com/ and register to check it out.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:17 PM

Thanks but it looks like it only fits up to 2015. If it's in a 2016, then there has to be a module. Why is that not available. I shouldn't have to spend that kind of money after already handing them $36k. I'm not impressed. I,love this car but won't be buying another Mazda. It's little things like this that move me to other manufacturers.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Mybubbles65
Thanks but it looks like it only fits up to 2015. If it's in a 2016, then there has to be a module. Why is that not available. I shouldn't have to spend that kind of money after already handing them $36k. I'm not impressed. I,love this car but won't be buying another Mazda. It's little things like this that move me to other manufacturers.
Different countries have different standard options. The diesel is popular in Europe, but not available here. My 2013 MX5 with the 2.0 liter engine would have a lower powered 1.8 in Europe. Different countries, different regulations.

Old 08-06-2017, 12:24 AM

XM is greyed out in my US CX-5 menu as well. I've noticed greyed areas show up once I activate the app on my phone so maybe activating an account with Sirius will make this area un-grey. My salesperson said Sirius will try to charge me $9.99/mo but it's supposed to be $6.99 - guess Mazda owners get a discount. In the owner's manual, it says you'll need to give them the car ID number that comes up when tuned to 0, but I couldn't get it to tune to 0 to see that. Answers anyone on tuning to 0 and getting Sirius with the CX-5? I have the Touring model but it's supposed to be setup to add Sirius if we want it.

Old 08-07-2017, 05:06 PM

I have a portable with a lifetime subscription I paid $400 for 10+ years ago. I ran the antenna wire around the passenger sun visor and anchored it on top of the rearview mirror with velcro. Works perfectly.

Old 08-07-2017, 07:08 PM
Question

I have an old Sirius portable, but the antenna is on a car now driven by my son. How did you get the antenna off without damaging the paint on your old car? The butter knife technique? I tried a little before giving it to my son, but it was on there really tight. I'd have to start another subscription though and probably can get plenty of content from the apps like Pandora, Aha and Stitcher that the CX-5 already is setup for. Sirius was great when driving in remote areas

Old 08-07-2017, 07:23 PM

I see the Google Play store has the Sirius XM app so downloaded it. Maybe that will un-grey XM in the menu. It says new cars give a trial subscription so maybe that's what we have.

Old 08-09-2017, 02:49 PM

Did you find a way to activate Sirius? We purchased the same car. Our US salesman said it came with Sirius... drive away.. only to find out.. even though we had Sirius
On our new 2010 mazda.. amd our new 2014 mazda.. our new 2017 mazda doesn't even allow you to activate Sirius.. only the touring comes with the XM module.. so either our salesman knew and was lying.. or he didn't know... amd shouldn't give answers if he doesn't really know what's going on.

We are very unhappy.

Originally Posted by nightbird7
XM is greyed out in my US CX-5 menu as well. I've noticed greyed areas show up once I activate the app on my phone so maybe activating an account with Sirius will make this area un-grey. My salesperson said Sirius will try to charge me $9.99/mo but it's supposed to be $6.99 - guess Mazda owners get a discount. In the owner's manual, it says you'll need to give them the car ID number that comes up when tuned to 0, but I couldn't get it to tune to 0 to see that. Answers anyone on tuning to 0 and getting Sirius with the CX-5? I have the Touring model but it's supposed to be setup to add Sirius if we want it.

Attached Thumbnails No Sirius XM?-20170808_100010.jpg  
Old 08-09-2017, 03:06 PM

After installing the Sirius app on my phone, but not activating a trial subscription, I went to XM in the car and it said 'XM not available'. If you have the greyed-out XM, from what I've read you need to call Sirius and give them a code that shows up 'when your radio is set to 0' - if you figure out how to set the radio to 0, please post as I haven't been able to get mine to do that. I imagine there's just account numbers etc you have to enter in the app in your phone and then it will work. Like Pandora, which it opens even if I have it shut on my phone since I have an active Pandora account.

Quick Reply: No Sirius XM?