Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

New Owner with 23' CX-5 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2023, 10:40 PM
Default New Owner with 23' CX-5 Turbo

Picked up my new daily driver on the 11th. I'm a avid car person but this is my first Mazda. I wanted to join and show some pics as I frequent the boards for info. and mod ideas.

First oil change at 600 miles? How long did you drive before you really got on it? Im trying to make it till after the oil change lol

Looking at getting mats inside. Go for tint Friday morning. Considering getting some ppf on front depending on price. Concerned about winter driving and the front getting nicked up, etc. Suggestions on mud flaps?

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-13-2023, 11:09 PM

Weathertech for floor matts. I've got Mazda mud guards and they seem
to work OK here in snow country.

My 2¢

Old 09-14-2023, 04:47 AM

3D Floor matts for me. I liked them over the weathertech.
Black out that chrome hockey stick trim.

Great looking 2.5t, good luck and enjoy!.

Welcome to the forum

Old 09-14-2023, 06:58 AM

Nice looking ride.
I got YITAMotor floor mats, and the fit is great, and they have lasted as well as previous Weathertech in other vehicles and are far less expensive.
Biggest "protection" issue I've found so far is windshield nicks.
Mostly caused by winter road sand and the lack of dump truck load covers in the construction trades here.
I have had three repairs so far, but I can't stand the look of the hood mounted deflectors.

Old 09-14-2023, 07:18 AM

As others have said, windshields tend to crack like it's nothing on these cars (at least 3-4 between my girlfriend's car and her sister's car alone). My girlfriend has the weathertech mats but I do not like how they slide around and don't stay in the factory clips on the front floors, and the Weathertech cargo mat is not bad in comparison. I have the Mazda OEM rubber mats + cargo mat that I got from Bam Auto Parts for a great price and I love them much more than the Weathertech stuff. It was a lot easier on the wallet too .

Old 09-14-2023, 10:04 AM

Welcome to the forum

Old 09-14-2023, 10:09 AM

First oil change at 600 miles? How long did you drive before you really got on it? Im trying to make it till after the oil change lol…

Not sure where the 600 mile oil change recommendation came from, I did my first one at 3000 miles.

Old 09-14-2023, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by CarpeDiem
Not sure where the 600 mile oil change recommendation came from, I did my first one at 3000 miles.
Changing the oil and filter ASAP is actually a good thing I would even suggest more often but most frown so I don't. There is a lot of new engine "STUFF" (various metals which is normal wear, assembly grease and lubricants etc.) in the oil and the sooner it is removed via oil changes the overall better it will be in the long haul for the new engines health.

This can be seen empirically with oil analysis so it not my opinion but actual fact!

The break in period for a Mazda Skyactiv engine is between 15,000 -18,000 miles. Not to be confused with Old School general break in period information of 500 miles.

Last edited by Callisto; 09-14-2023 at 10:20 AM.
Old 09-14-2023, 05:10 PM
Talking The Owner Manual Says...

Originally Posted by CarpeDiem
2023 CX-5 owners manual says "Replace when wrench indicator light is ON. (Max interval: 12 months or 12,000 km (7,500 miles))."

For brand-new cars, the manual says:
"
No special break-in is necessary, but a few precautions in the first 1,000 km (600 miles) may add to the performance, economy, and life of the vehicle.
  • Do not race the engine.
  • Do not maintain one constant speed, either slow or fast, for a long period of time.
  • Do not drive constantly at full-throttle or high engine rpm for extended periods of time.
  • Avoid unnecessary hard stops.
  • Avoid full-throttle starts.
  • Do not tow a trailer."
I like the idea of changing the oil after the first 1,000 miles. After that, I'll wait for the car to tell me when to change the oil. Our new CX-5 has 600 miles on it. We won't ever put 7,500 miles on in a year. We live in a small town where nobody tries anything. 😎

If you haven't tried it, check out the online color digital version of the owners manual. You can find stuff in two seconds. You can put a link on your phone and have the whole thing available anywhere you go, too.

Old 09-14-2023, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by DagNabbit
2023 CX-5 owners manual says "Replace when wrench indicator light is ON. (Max interval: 12 months or 12,000 km (7,500 miles))."

For brand-new cars, the manual says:
"
No special break-in is necessary, but a few precautions in the first 1,000 km (600 miles) may add to the performance, economy, and life of the vehicle.
  • Do not race the engine.
  • Do not maintain one constant speed, either slow or fast, for a long period of time.
  • Do not drive constantly at full-throttle or high engine rpm for extended periods of time.
  • Avoid unnecessary hard stops.
  • Avoid full-throttle starts.
  • Do not tow a trailer."
I like the idea of changing the oil after the first 1,000 miles. After that, I'll wait for the car to tell me when to change the oil. Our new CX-5 has 600 miles on it. We won't ever put 7,500 miles on in a year. We live in a small town where nobody tries anything. 😎

If you haven't tried it, check out the online color digital version of the owners manual. You can find stuff in two seconds. You can put a link on your phone and have the whole thing available anywhere you go, too.
The turbo models call for oil changes at 5000 mile intervals.
Service manager told be to go to 5000 on the initial factory fill.
I added a break in supplement and went to 5000.
Supposedly MFGs do NOT put break-in oil in at the factory anymore
due to better machining, better materials, and 'cleaner' assembly practices.

Your choice.
My 2¢

Quick Reply: New Owner with 23' CX-5 Turbo