Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New cylinder head..maybe

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2023, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Tony_H
I trust your experience but when I changed my belt it sure looks rinky-dink. Perhaps what we do *learn here is when you get a high temperature alarm it's serious and if you keep driving you're asking for a new engine. I am concerned that the dealer said let's reprogram the computer. Overheating is not a computer problem it's a mechanical problem.
Ok! So fyi you don't re-program a car ECU. It is called flashing or pass through which either reinstall the basic ECU program or install an updated version However there are markers in the ECU that remain in either case and only a very few know how to flash a ECU and not show them. Dealership generally cannot do it that resetting of the timers and makers anyway. But lets say they did ... at least in the USA it would be illegal for a dealership to do this to avoid taking care of a warranty. There is much more on this ECU subject as far as the BLACK ARTS of changing things inside it that most think are not accessible. ng goes. LOL

I am glad to see that there is someone out there that realizes the importance of dash warning and caution lights.

To expand on your quote in your response:
*you can do engine,cooling system and or transmission damage

Old 06-15-2023, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Tony_H
I trust your experience but when I changed my belt it sure looks rinky-dink. Perhaps what we do learn here is when you get a high temperature alarm it's serious and if you keep driving you're asking for a new engine. I am concerned that the dealer said let's reprogram the computer. Overheating is not a computer problem it's a mechanical problem.
I didn’t drive the first time when it overheated. The second time yes I drove back to the dealership BECAUSE they said it was a computer issue with the temperature sensors so me knowing zero, thought no harm if it thinks it’s overheating but isn’t. They showed me a borescope video of the lead of coolant into the cylinder. So I guess it’s real. It’s off to a different shop to get a second opinion and probably a new engine or to be scrapped out. We shall see.

Old 06-15-2023, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Chaserz
I didn’t drive the first time when it overheated. The second time yes I drove back to the dealership BECAUSE they said it was a computer issue with the temperature sensors so me knowing zero, thought no harm if it thinks it’s overheating but isn’t. They showed me a borescope video of the lead of coolant into the cylinder. So I guess it’s real. It’s off to a different shop to get a second opinion and probably a new engine or to be scrapped out. We shall see.
The scope indicates , either or and may all, blown head gasket ,cracked block ,cracked head.
The tests I posted would easily show which but if they scoped it at this pint you can either have the head removed and hope it is only head related or just start shopping for another complete engine.

Second or more opinions checking it will yield the same results and at this point cost you to have the test performed. You did not really post any of the actual complete written service orders from the dealership only what you sumerized posted but something is missing with all the information? Just saying! Maybe it is true that they totally "F" 'd???? But lets say they did, the point is the damage was done before you went to the dealership so technically it would be hard to get them to do any free service? and again just saying from the information you posted, and I am not taking sides!

Old 06-15-2023, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
The scope indicates , either or and may all, blown head gasket ,cracked block ,cracked head.
The tests I posted would easily show which but if they scoped it at this pint you can either have the head removed and hope it is only head related or just start shopping for another complete engine.

Second or more opinions checking it will yield the same results and at this point cost you to have the test performed. You did not really post any of the actual complete written service orders from the dealership only what you sumerized posted but something is missing with all the information? Just saying! Maybe it is true that they totally "F" 'd???? But lets say they did, the point is the damage was done before you went to the dealership so technically it would be hard to get them to do any free service? and again just saying from the information you posted, and I am not taking sides!
yea, I’m not blaming the dealship for anything. They said there is a problem with the temperature sensor on these cars, a scan showed the car was in need of a update so they did that. They drove the car for 20 miles and nothing happened, so they thought they fixed it. I drove it the whole next day and all was well and the next morning it overheated again. It went right back to the dealership. They said the coolant was low so they borescoped the cylinder and found this leak. So yes the damage was done before it went to the dealership. They didn’t run any other tests they said besides this. I took it to another non-dealership place that was recommended to me by a co worker not to only get a second opinion because the writing is on the wall, but to hopefully get an engine or cylinder head for cheaper than dealership pricing. Maybe I’ll have to pay dealership prices because maybe that’s what it costs. I’m not a mechanic so doing it myself…eh. We will see. I appreciate all your feedback. I’m still puzzled onto why the car would overhead and then not overheat And maybe that will always be a mystery to me, because even the dealership was perplexed a bit about that.

Old 06-15-2023, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Chaserz
I’m still puzzled onto why the car would overhead and then not overheat .
You can start a thread and I can post at least a bakers dozen common and more uncommon reason numbering in the dozens reason why. This is not an unusual occurrence. When I say unusual I am talking about this happening on vehicles all the way back to the 70's maybe earlier. I was not really doing stock repairs so much on engine working on stock vehicles back much past the 50's.

IMHO you made a good choice going to none dealer as this will not be a warranty. the service shop you found should be able to find you with there account a low milage warranty engine from several suppliers in the US. Then all it is labor R&R and few needed replacement parts while the engine is out.

I hope that you keep us updated on your Mazda engine problem resolve and don't lose faith in Mazda.

Old 06-15-2023, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
You can start a thread and I can post at least a bakers dozen common and more uncommon reason numbering in the dozens reason why. This is not an unusual occurrence. When I say unusual I am talking about this happening on vehicles all the way back to the 70's maybe earlier. I was not really doing stock repairs so much on engine working on stock vehicles back much past the 50's.

IMHO you made a good choice going to none dealer as this will not be a warranty. the service shop you found should be able to find you with there account a low milage warranty engine from several suppliers in the US. Then all it is labor R&R and few needed replacement parts while the engine is out.

I hope that you keep us updated on your Mazda engine problem resolve and don't lose faith in Mazda.
no lost faith in Mazda, sometimes Things are good and sometimes they are not. I have a 2004 Mazda 3 I bought with 20k miles on it years back and it now has almost 200k miles on it, with zero problems in all those years. So I believe Mazda has a good product. I’ll keep you and everyone updated on the looming engine replacement.