Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New CX5 turbo Sig owner/questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2023, 06:03 AM
Default New CX5 turbo Sig owner/questions

Glad to be here! Love my new car so far. If the experts here can help, I'd appreciate it:

1) Does my fob allow me to remote start, or do I have to use the app at all time?

2) Does my trim level have a dash cam?

3) anyone use regular octane in their Turbo?

Thanks!

Old 07-27-2023, 11:01 AM

1. Yes you have to use the app unless you get a third party remote starter installed, which can lead to electrical issues and such.

2. None of the trims come with dash cameras, but you can buy a connector that plugs directly into the rear view mirror/plastic housing behind it. It basically allows you to run the dash cam when the car is on and off, and without cords being all over the place.

3. When you use regular octane gas, you lose 23 horsepower and 10 foot pounds of torque (on the 19-21 model years). It's safe to use but after running through 2/3 of a tank of it from when I bought my car from the dealer, switching to 91/93 was night and day. It mainly affects when you're driving over 4k RPMs.

Last edited by Alexmed2002; 07-27-2023 at 05:35 PM.
Old 07-27-2023, 12:46 PM

Interesting on the 93 octane. I don't notice a difference. When I first bought the car I was using 93 but then tried some 87. I don't appreciate a significant boost. It is plenty quick for me on 87.

Old 07-27-2023, 01:29 PM
Default Misinformation

Originally Posted by chickdr19
Interesting on the 93 octane. I don't notice a difference. When I first bought the car I was using 93 but then tried some 87. I don't appreciate a significant boost. It is plenty quick for me on 87.
I contacted the dealer directly and they said the Turbo comes as advertised with 227hp. If you put 91 octane it jumps to 250. I’m glad I learned this though!

Old 07-27-2023, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by mtquinn
I contacted the dealer directly and they said the Turbo comes as advertised with 227hp. If you put 91 octane it jumps to 250. I’m glad I learned this though!
The ratings are not accurate nor are they Certified. As you said "advertised", which means they can claim anything. I am not knocking Mazda but many auto manufactures do not use the certification so they can boast almost anything they want for advertised power of engines. If you use lower octane fuel the ECU will compensate and your power out will be reduced in both HP and TQ.

The Mazda engine takes up to 25k miles to fully break in at that point you should distinly be able to notice the difference between 87 and 93 or higher-octane fuel. Remember you need to read the information on the gas pumps how the octane was rated because this is also misunderstood. When in doubt and want to actually feel the difference in 87 vs high octane when you are very close to empty fill with the highest octane or at least Shell (preferably Chevron 93 and add 1 bottle of octane booster either, brand name 104octane, STP or Lucas. (my choice is STP) . Then drive a little more aggressively for the first day or about 25-50 miles. The next day or complete drive cycle your ECU adaptive will adjust for the higher octane fule and you will notice the difference in power. If you don't then something went wrong with the procedure or something is not reporting properly to the ECU?

chickdr I would really like for you to try this something. It would be nice to have you on board with a few of my responses more often!

SAE J1349® and SAE J1995® Certified Power

Many auto manufactures are not participating. You can find many that are listed by the make year and model.

Old 07-28-2023, 10:08 AM

I really wish remote start was on the fob. Horrible they make you use the app on your phone which by the way you have to pay for after the free 3 years. They also monitor your driving habits with connected services. I don't think I'm keeping it after the 3 years are up.

I have used both 87 and 93 on separate full tanks of gas and honestly didn't notice a difference. I do use 93 though because i do lots of stop and go driving. Wether that makes a difference, I don't know but makes me feel better lol.

Good luck with the new car.

Old 07-28-2023, 10:35 AM

Why don't you just get an aftermarket remote start system and then you will have it on your Mazda fab and pay no additional fee's. I push my Mazda remote 3 quick times and the remote start actuates.

Old 07-28-2023, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by climbinglife
I

I have used both 87 and 93 on separate full tanks of gas and honestly didn't notice a difference. I do use 93 though because i do lots of stop and go driving. Wether that makes a difference, I don't know but makes me feel better lol.

Good luck with the new car.
If you used your Mazda in a driving situation going up a mountain, loaded with passengers or freight, towing, of spirted driving you would notice a difference. And I guarantee if you were monitoring your ECU knock values you would be entering the limits more often than your think. Also, if you are monitoring your highway MMPG and use cruise control you would notice a slightly higher MPG with 93 over 87 octane.

But no worries most owners say the same thing you do.

I am glad to see that city driving and stop and go traffic you use higher octane as long as it was not diluted % with remain 87 otherwise it is not doing much?

All of this I posted is empirical in nature and can plainly be seen and even data logged access the ECU and monitoring a few PIDS..
The more important ones:
Timing
Fueling
Pedal %
Knock
CAT F
IAT
Coolant F
HO2 values

Old 07-31-2023, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Callisto
The ratings are not accurate nor are they Certified. As you said "advertised", which means they can claim anything. I am not knocking Mazda but many auto manufactures do not use the certification so they can boast almost anything they want for advertised power of engines. If you use lower octane fuel the ECU will compensate and your power out will be reduced in both HP and TQ.

The Mazda engine takes up to 25k miles to fully break in at that point you should distinly be able to notice the difference between 87 and 93 or higher-octane fuel. Remember you need to read the information on the gas pumps how the octane was rated because this is also misunderstood. When in doubt and want to actually feel the difference in 87 vs high octane when you are very close to empty fill with the highest octane or at least Shell (preferably Chevron 93 and add 1 bottle of octane booster either, brand name 104octane, STP or Lucas. (my choice is STP) . Then drive a little more aggressively for the first day or about 25-50 miles. The next day or complete drive cycle your ECU adaptive will adjust for the higher octane fule and you will notice the difference in power. If you don't then something went wrong with the procedure or something is not reporting properly to the ECU?

chickdr I would really like for you to try this something. It would be nice to have you on board with a few of my responses more often!

SAE J1349® and SAE J1995® Certified Power

Many auto manufactures are not participating. You can find many that are listed by the make year and model.
I am only at about 18k so by your comments above I still have a while to go before my motor is fully broken in. I will certainly try 93 here and there (in GA we only have 93 octane premium, not the 91 I see in some states.) The only "real" way to know would be to do our own tests with 87/93 on the same car/dyno on the same day. I also don't notice an appreciable difference in MPG with 93 vs 89 vs 87 octane. I have done this on several trips to see if any differences were noted. I still don't understand the difference in my mileage vs some others on this and other forums who seem to be getting 28-29MPG (on the MPG computer in the car) on their 2.5T's. Mine sits a little below 24MPG after 10k miles. From the folks saying they get higher mileage it is also mixed use driving as I do and with frequent "aggressive" use of the car. Of course, I have no way to quantify what "aggressive" is for me vs. other forum members.

Old 07-31-2023, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Callisto
Why don't you just get an aftermarket remote start system and then you will have it on your Mazda fab and pay no additional fee's. I push my Mazda remote 3 quick times and the remote start actuates.
Something i'll probably do once the 3 year free period expires. I've spent enough so far between cosmetic stuff and an axleback lol.

Quick Reply: New CX5 turbo Sig owner/questions