Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

new 2021 Signature, can't connect to Android Auto

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2021, 12:59 PM
Default new 2021 Signature, can't connect to Android Auto

Clearly I am missing something trivial.
I can't get my CX5 to connect Android Auto to my phone

When I go thru the CX5 menus to connect to Android Auto, I get "No Android auto devices"

I've installed the Android Auto on my smartphone, which has been paired to my CX5 for both phone and
"when you connect your phone to a new car, Android Auto will begin setup"
"accepted cars" is none
"rejected cars" is also none

What am I missing?
Thanks
Pat

Old 04-11-2021, 01:04 PM

Android Auto requires a cable as well as Bluetooth pairing.

Old 04-11-2021, 01:33 PM

Oh, thanks much.
Now I've got it connected.
All I have to do is figure out how to use it.

So far, the big info screen doesn't seem to work as a touch screen, so I'm not sure how to use usual functions like search for an address in Waze. I assume I need to use the smartphone keyboard for that.

And clearly some apps are Android Auto ready and others are not.

Where do folks keep their smartphone when its connected? I thought that the small auxiliary tray in the center armrest would be perfect, but the tray is too small to hold my smartphone with the USB cable connected.

Old 04-11-2021, 03:56 PM

Screen is not a touch screen. Big round **** controls everything. Navigation manual is here: https://www.mazdausa.com/siteassets/...ers-manual.pdf

Old 04-11-2021, 03:59 PM

thanks for the link

Old 04-12-2021, 02:07 PM

The various manuals talk about connecting to the USB port with the smartphone icon. My car doesn't have the icon.
I used the front one, and its working. But it raises two more small questions:

1) once the phone is paired/connected to the car, can I use Android Auto wirelessly? Or will it require the USB cable forever?
2) are the two USB ports different in my 2021 model? or can I put music in the front one and the smartphone in the rearward one?

Old 04-12-2021, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by fishtoprecords
The various manuals talk about connecting to the USB port with the smartphone icon. My car doesn't have the icon.
I used the front one, and its working. But it raises two more small questions:

1) once the phone is paired/connected to the car, can I use Android Auto wirelessly? Or will it require the USB cable forever?
2) are the two USB ports different in my 2021 model? or can I put music in the front one and the smartphone in the rearward one?
1) My understanding is this AA and CP is wired only, so you will always need a USB cable. Wireless AA and CP allegedly needs additional hardware, including an induction charger
2) I don't have access to the car now, but the manual indicates you have it backwards, the top port is for the smartphone for AA or CP and the bottom is a second port USB that you could attach a music device such as a small thumb drive. The access to that USB device would be controlled in .

Honestly, I have not tried reversing the usage of the ports because the dealer was very clear the top port was for the smartphone only... You could try reversing ports and report back here as to how it might work.

Old 04-12-2021, 04:09 PM

There is a thread mentioning wireless AA is able to be activated in your car (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/maz...13/#post192007). The new 10.1" screen cars have the capability (as long as your phone runs Android 11 which is the first version to offer wireless). You will likely still need to plug your phone in for long drives as it will run the battery down pretty quickly (which begs the question, it is worth it to use wireless AA without a wireless charging pad) It is a dealer done project from what I understand but considering you can do your own firmware with downloads it could be that the wireless AA capability is DIY as well. As previously mentioned, you can't use the touchscreen for AA/CP but it is pretty easy with the **** to get around once you get the hang of it. I use AA all the time in my '19. If you go into the play store there is a list of apps compatible with AA so it is easy to get what you need (for example I use Jet Audio + for my music player). There is also a really neat dash phone holder just for use in the CX-5:
Amazon Amazon
to keep your phone secure and out of the way. One forum member ran a cable behind the dash to the location of the mount.

Last edited by chickdr19; 04-12-2021 at 04:11 PM.
Old 04-12-2021, 04:17 PM

Thanks. Bummer, my main Android can only be upgraded to Android 8.
I have an unused Google Pixel that is running Android 10, but that still isn't up to 11.

I agree, without a Qi charger, you pretty much have to run the USB for power anyway.

I've ordered your linked phone holder. I had been using a beanbag holder, but the wide infotainment screen makes that pretty unfriendly.

Which brings up a bit of an off-topic idea. The reason I'm using my many year old CAT S41 phone is that when I bought a new CAT S42 phone, I found
that the GPS was not reliable. I returned the first S42 and got a replacement, and it had the same problem. The GPS worked in populated areas, but
got lost in the boonies. So I went back to the S41.

When using Android Auto to run Google Maps or Waze, does it use the CX5's GPS or the one in the smartphone? Or both???

Old 04-12-2021, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by fishtoprecords
When using Android Auto to run Google Maps or Waze, does it use the CX5's GPS or the one in the smartphone? Or both???
Android Auto is essentially using your phone as a brain, with the display piped out to the vehicle display. All functionality is handled by the handset.

When using maps or waze, you do give up the turn-by-turn directions showing up on the HUD. But you don't have to worry about updating maps, etc.

Quick Reply: new 2021 Signature, can't connect to Android Auto