Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Navigation System

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 12:27 PM
Default Navigation System

I purchased a Mazda CX 5 this past Saturday, I didn't get the Navigation system. I saw on Amazon that I can get a genuine Mazda SD Navigation card for $100.00 and install if myself. Has anyone heard of this and will my car warranty void if it causes a problem? I really only drive in town back and fourth to work, so I didn't want to shell out extra at the dealership for it when I purchased my car.

Old 09-07-2019, 02:22 PM

Yeah I went through this search myself. The card will not void your warranty or cause any problem whatsoever. There's nothing proprietary about it or anything that can cause any damage, it's just a SD card loaded with map files. It's actually a fantastic upgrade. The best price for it on Amazon is 80: https://amzn.to/31cFi4c

It's very easy to install, all you have to do is plug the card in the center console and turn the car on.

Then you will have two very cool features:

- Street name display even when you're not on a Nav screen

- Voice command which works very well. Here's a demo (scroll to 32 seconds):

Last edited by Chocolate; 09-07-2019 at 02:27 PM.
Old 09-07-2019, 04:13 PM

Thank you so much! I’m definitely getting this and will refer back to this video..

Old 09-07-2019, 10:20 PM

Would definitely recommend the navigation system. It is sometimes slow to load but does a descent job. Also, if you get it through the dealer, there is a free 3-year map updates included.

Old 09-08-2019, 07:05 AM

The amazon listing is loaded with 2019 maps and includes the 3 years of updates as well Sure beats paying $340 or more at the dealer!

Old 09-08-2019, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Chocolate
The amazon listing is loaded with 2019 maps and includes the 3 years of updates as well Sure beats paying $340 or more at the dealer!
That's interesting. So is it still tied to the VIN? I mean, do you activate the card you bought from Amazon with your VIN?

Old 09-09-2019, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by mazda_nc_dude
That's interesting. So is it still tied to the VIN? I mean, do you activate the card you bought from Amazon with your VIN?
You can update the maps here. Works with the Amazon card.

https://infotainment.mazdahandsfree....language=en-US

If you don't have a SD card reader, you can use an adapter for 6 bucks to update them at home. I like this one https://amzn.to/32wU3iB because it has a MicroSD reader as well as compatibility with Android devices.

Last edited by Chocolate; 09-09-2019 at 10:18 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:49 PM

Is this free?

Old 09-11-2019, 11:07 PM
Angry Worst Navigation system that I have ever used

I just returned from a trip to Portland, OR from Reno, NV and back in my 2016 CX-5 Grand Touring. I drove through National Forests, Large cities (Portland), small cities and small towns. The system tried to divert me off into unknown directions on roads my AAA map showed ended in a mile or two. It did divert me on to a parallel road that dead-ended in a mile. It sent me on round about routes in Portland when I did know how to get someplace. On I 5, leaving Portland it told me to take a left at the next street. Not veer left, take a left which, of course, is impossible to do. It was less than worthless and we drove by map most of the way just leaving the Nav on to see how accurate it is. Car reviews rate Mazda's Nav as poor and I can see why but I'm surprised to not see comments on the forum similar to mine. Anyone else have similar problems? Any solutions?

Old 09-12-2019, 08:34 AM

Are you using the map files from 2016?

I use it for shorter trips. For longer trips, Google Maps may be a better bet.

Quick Reply: Navigation System