Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
View Poll Results: Do you believe in lifetime no maintenance on transmission
No
64.00%
Yes
0%
Maybe
12.00%
Needs periodic maintenance
32.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Mazda CX5 transmission service

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2022, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
Conrad, why do you have to be such an annoying ********?
Conrad's post has disappeared "Into the mystic" [Van Morrison], as will Kerim's transmission if he doesn't change his fluid and filter.

Old 02-09-2022, 07:45 AM

It's one of my many talents. Strange that you don't ask others, one person in particular, this same question... Why is that?

Old 02-09-2022, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by reubenvabner
Conrad's post has disappeared "Into the mystic" [Van Morrison], as will Kerim's transmission if he doesn't change his fluid and filter.
Love that song!

Old 02-09-2022, 07:47 AM

Isn't there some sort of forum rule against calling members derogatory names? Or do the rules not apply to all members evenly?

Last edited by Conrad 16.5; 02-22-2022 at 07:16 AM.
Old 02-09-2022, 09:54 AM

To perhaps try to go back on topic... This is very common on most all new MAZDA automatic transmission during their "break IN Period. So do you all want this left in your transmission pan for years and tens of thousands of miles?

After I did the filter and pan fluid replacement the factory pan magnet captured much of the metalic material in the new transmission. Not all but most of it. It was not until several subsequent servicing until now there is virtually nothing on my pan and drain plug magnet at 38,000 miles.

ASE

Old 02-18-2022, 10:25 PM
Default Transmission service protocol

[QUOTE=Kerim;201756]Thanks a lot,i asked Mazda official service in my region and they said too that they didn't flush,just drain,refill and replace filter.[/
This is simple sound advice - yet there is no mileage/time guide in my 2022 CX-5 owners manual . It a bit perplexing that Mazda has left transmission health / maintainence up to the dealer , lest you know transmissions and pay attention. I believe that at least having a dipstick to check the fluid condition would be a big plus - Yet Mazda has decided ( like many other makes ) to completely take it out of the ownership equasion. I think they did it since most people do not understand automatic transmissions , and when it comes to A/Ts a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. My 2010-3 has Auto trans check/add instructions , but no maintainence schedule .
If you dont check the A/T while at temp , running -with the torque converter filled the level will not be accurate and you will get overfill / under . In most Dodges you need to be in neutral or drive as well - at temp , running as in park the T/C wont fill up - But these are Mazdas -
We have no dipstick / I have not looked but often there is a pathway to check with a proprietary gage - Or there is a drain plug and a side fill plug which gives you the max by spiling out on filling , or glass window -
That said . I have homework , but I work at a transmission shop where we rebuild transmissions . 90% Trucks , American , gas / diesel . - Yet I have learned that draining , changing the filter and filling with regularity is good . There are different levels of fluid condition which reveal a great deal about when you should do a service - Dirty , Burnt , Varnished and last Cracked-( that means its over as you have boiled your ATF )- I hope I can find a way to check the fluid condition easily .
We will not flush a transmission , as if the fluid was neglected , there can be particles mixed with fluid that have caked into corners of the galleys , valve body and other crucial pathways. If you flush , these can dislodge and cause blockage - so a repeated drain/ fill will slowly clean a neglected unit - The proper way to keep your trans healthy - drain, filter , fill is the way to go . Hopefully around clean-dirty area . Im checking with a Mazda tech I trust tomorrow - but my shop reccomends ever 2 years or 24k as a general guide - but thats for heavy use - 30k is ok if you arent in heat or towing - Someone said that when you drain/ fill you dont get all the fluid out - thats true - which is an argument to service before dirty - spend the $$-
If you drop the pan , it helps drain even more , but the T/C and cooler lines will still be full of old fluid - Most people we see completely neglect trans service but change the oil like freaks - car wont run without a trans folks !
Anyone with info on how to check the atf on a cx-5 Na 2022 - I would be grateful - I plan on letting my dealer do a service , drain ,,change filter , fill about every 30-40 k depending on my periodical fluid condition assesmets . Ive only had it a week - so transnission health is sonething I am going to master on this vehicle - On my 2010 Mazda 3/ 2.5 gt - I have drain / filled every 30k and stand at 145,000 - think its time for a filter now too .

Old 02-18-2022, 10:28 PM
Super Moderator

They still have a dipstick. its about 2 inches long and bolted in place with a 10mm head bolt. Located well out of sight.

Old 02-19-2022, 12:21 AM

They still have a dipstick. its about 2 inches long and bolted in place with a 10mm head bolt. Located well out of sight.
Thanks for the info !- Did you get a service manual ? If so which one - Since this sounds like an unconventional dipstick ...is the protocol for checking the level traditional ? Everything at operating temp , engine running , level- in park?

It only makes sense that theres a way to check the fluid condition / level without a lift. ~ Im popping for a service manual - The owners manuals have departed from quasi self-sufficient owners to learning how to set up apple play and other tech distractions -tech-geek handbook - in the index/ glossary the word " Transmission " does not even exist -
I will locate the mystery transmission dipstick-
Appreciate the help

Last edited by diehard080; 02-19-2022 at 12:27 AM.
Old 02-19-2022, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by Callisto
Yes but to expand a little more it will fit almost all the Skyactiv automatic transmissions.
To confuse some of you all.... I might also add, there is an optional cooler that come with some MAZDA models (I am not sure which) but it has 4 hose fitting 2 for coolant and 2 for ATF. But the adapter you pictured is still the same even for that setup.

I should also point out that the use of DIY method of a complete fluid replacement may not work as easily as some think. While I applaud the DIY with "MacGyver" servicing procedure some things like a full fluid service should really be done at a shop that has both the Professional Transmission Fluid Serving Equipment and at last one ASE Certified Automotive Technician in employ to do the service.
That is sound advice -

Old 02-19-2022, 02:27 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by diehard080
Thanks for the info !- Did you get a service manual ? If so which one - Since this sounds like an unconventional dipstick ...is the protocol for checking the level traditional ? Everything at operating temp , engine running , level- in park?

It only makes sense that theres a way to check the fluid condition / level without a lift. ~ Im popping for a service manual - The owners manuals have departed from quasi self-sufficient owners to learning how to set up apple play and other tech distractions -tech-geek handbook - in the index/ glossary the word " Transmission " does not even exist -
I will locate the mystery transmission dipstick-
Appreciate the help
As a employee of Mazda, I have unlimited access to Factory Workshop manuals, while I'm at Work.

Quick Reply: Mazda CX5 transmission service