Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mazda CX-5 2018 Head Gasket Failure

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2024, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Choc-Chip
I had a similar experience with a K...K...Kia. 2013 Theta II engine. Kia wouldn't cover it, Endurance Warranty wouldn't cover it, so I got it repaired and ditched it after 4 months' worth of phone calls and assessments.
It's sad because anyone who owns a Hyundai/Kia is still guarenteed to have issues like you did. They all burn oil and eventually something blows up in the engine. And a lot of the time it's people who just fell outside of the warranty and get screwed by the dealer/manufacturer. I'd imagine we'll be seeing a lot of Genesis vehicles with the same issues in the next couple of years since they are part of the same automotive family.

Old 01-30-2024, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Alexmed2002
It's sad because anyone who owns a Hyundai/Kia is still guarenteed to have issues like you did. They all burn oil and eventually something blows up in the engine. And a lot of the time it's people who just fell outside of the warranty and get screwed by the dealer/manufacturer. I'd imagine we'll be seeing a lot of Genesis vehicles with the same issues in the next couple of years since they are part of the same automotive family.
My late brother-in-law a great guy but a horrendous driver who never maintained anything had a Kia Sportage.
When he passed it had over 200K on it and never had a mechanical issue.
I had Hyundai Santa Fe myself for 6 years with no issues at all and hauled a bass boat around with it.
My BMW Z3 seemed to always in the shop though not for engine issues.
You never know what vehicles will bring you...

Old 01-30-2024, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Lobstah
You never know what vehicles will bring you...
And that my friend is a FACT!
On forums there is always going to be problems and issues from members it is at least 75%+ of most conversations on all vehicle forums. A casual looking at the member and victors con and where they go shows that!

Old 01-30-2024, 09:13 AM

Agreed. Making a blanket statement about anything is usually a bad idea. I too, know of Hyundai owners who have loved their cars and had little to no issues. There is a known issue with Theta 2.4l motors, but not all of them will have these issues (just as some Mazda 2.5T's seem to have the oil use issue and some don't).

Old 01-30-2024, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
Agreed. Making a blanket statement about anything is usually a bad idea. I too, know of Hyundai owners who have loved their cars and had little to no issues. There is a known issue with Theta 2.4l motors, but not all of them will have these issues (just as some Mazda 2.5T's seem to have the oil use issue and some don't).
Yup! I just drank a cup of coffee and looked around on the "HYUNDI" forum.(one of the few type car forum I don't belong to) It's just like any other. No real factual numbers or data as to any specific issues and if you took and replaced Hyundai with MAZDA it would look just like our forum. © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

I did read an amusing thread titled.. LOL

It's not the car it's the boyfriend. .

Old 01-30-2024, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
Making a blanket statement about anything is usually a bad idea. I too, know of Hyundai owners who have loved their cars and had little to no issues. There is a known issue with Theta 2.4l motors, but not all of them will have these issues (just as some Mazda 2.5T's seem to have the oil use issue and some don't).
I have a family member who had a 2010-2014 generation Sonata, and the engine blew up with like 40k miles. They had to let the dealer replace it. There are also a ton of lawsuits and people on groups/forums that complain about their Hyundai/Kia engines in particular not lasting at all. I don't try to make blanketed statements but it's a really severe issue that makes a lot of people like myself never want to touch one of their cars. The Genesis SUVs literally feel like a Kia Sportage with fancier plastic parts. After my girlfriend's mother got one last year I literally coudln't tell the difference from a Kia we test drove a couple of years prior...

https://www.classaction.org/blog/new...ional-vehicles

Last edited by Alexmed2002; 01-30-2024 at 09:31 AM.
Old 01-30-2024, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Alexmed2002
I have a family member who had a 2010-2014 generation Sonata, and the engine blew up with like 40k miles. They had to let the dealer replace it. There are also a ton of lawsuits and people on groups/forums that complain about their Hyundai/Kia engines in particular not lasting at all. I don't try to make blanketed statements but it's a really severe issue that makes a lot of people like myself never want to touch one of their cars. The Genesis SUVs literally feel like a Kia Sportage with fancier plastic parts. After my girlfriend's mother got one last year I literally coudln't tell the difference from a Kia we test drove a couple of years prior...

https://www.classaction.org/blog/new...ional-vehicles
The question is why. I once worked with a female attorney who bought a Honda Accord new. The engine locked up on it two years later. Turned out she had 50,000 miles on it and had never changed the oil or otherwise serviced it. The oil in the pan was sludge. My Honda Accord that I bought sooner than hers went 195,000 miles before the transmission died, but never any problems with the engine. There is often a why that is not mentioned or investigated.

Old 01-31-2024, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by schmieg
The question is why. I once worked with a female attorney who bought a Honda Accord new. The engine locked up on it two years later. Turned out she had 50,000 miles on it and had never changed the oil or otherwise serviced it. The oil in the pan was sludge. My Honda Accord that I bought sooner than hers went 195,000 miles before the transmission died, but never any problems with the engine. There is often a why that is not mentioned or investigated.
Great example that is not an isolated one!
I really think that so many members on vehicle forum should work at least 3 months in a service shop. Then you can get first-hand experience how owners actually treat their vehicles. While some have the best intention to be up on top of the basic service my guess is 95% of them neglect their rides and often blame it on the auto manufacture.
And class action suits ..ROLMAO really just an FYI for all you that think they are important... there not. Go read and learn exactly what one is how they start how long some can last and in the end, it is factually shown less than 3% of all them started in the USA actually finish and pay off to those participating.

I think some of us in the auto service could make a comedy sitcom from some of the examples of people and what they do or more so don't do to keep up ion the service to their vehicles.

Old 01-31-2024, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Callisto
I think some of us in the auto service could make a comedy sitcom from some of the examples of people and what they do or more so don't do to keep up ion the service to their vehicles.
I get a kick out of the videos I see on social media already as is lmao. A sitcom would just be the icing on the cake.

Old 01-31-2024, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Callisto
Great example that is not an isolated one!
I really think that so many members on vehicle forum should work at least 3 months in a service shop. Then you can get first-hand experience how owners actually treat their vehicles. While some have the best intention to be up on top of the basic service my guess is 95% of them neglect their rides and often blame it on the auto manufacture.
And class action suits ..ROLMAO really just an FYI for all you that think they are important... there not. Go read and learn exactly what one is how they start how long some can last and in the end, it is factually shown less than 3% of all them started in the USA actually finish and pay off to those participating.

This is a great post. If this forum has sticky ability this should be mandatory reading for all members. The things most people do and don't do to their cars is wild.
And class actions... What a scammy waste.