Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mazda CX-5 2018 Head Gasket Failure

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2024, 02:09 PM
HMP
Default Mazda CX-5 2018 Head Gasket Failure

Just wanted to put this out there - it feels like there are a lot of people in the same boat as me, and also wanted to warn anyone thinking about buying a Mazda, and particularly a CX-5 to stay well away. The customer care I have received is absolutely shocking, and the fact that the head gasket went on a 5 year old car is inexcusable from a supposed quality car company.

I bought a 2018 Mazda CX-5 Petrol in 2020, looked after it well, and had a full service every year at a Mazda garage. It averaged about 10,000 miles per year, and then in November, when the car was about 5.5 years old, with 55k miles on the clock, the head gasket suddenly completely failed, with no warning including no warning light. A local garage looked at the engine and called the damage ‘catastrophic’, and said they’d never seen anything like it on a relatively new car, especially a Mazda. I bought the car for £18,000, and after 3 years of ownership, it now needs a new engine, quoted at £9,000 by David Hayton dealership in Kendal, Cumbria.

Mazda have refused to accept any culpability, despite there being countless reports online of faulty engines and faulty head gaskets being fitted in 2018 Mazda CX-5s. I’ve mostly seen this issue in relation to the diesel car, but it happened to my petrol car as well, so it’s clearly a widespread problem. There was even a class action suit filed in America because of this problem.

I would encourage anyone that’s thinking of buying a Mazda CX-5 to think again, and quite honestly, I would highly encourage anyone thinking of buying any Mazda, to look for another car company. This has been an unbelievably stressful experience, and I have felt nothing but contempt, dismissal, and a complete lack of care from Mazda UK and from David Hayton in Kendal, Cumbria. Mazda have consistently told me how they take every care to create products that match the ‘highest possible standard’, but the quality that they’re clearly happy to accept is that a 5-year-old car with under 60k miles can have catastrophic engine failure resulting in the need to replace the whole engine. If this is their attitude towards engine quality, I’d be questioning their attitude towards car safety, and there’s no way I’d trust Mazda with my safety on the road again. There will be thousands of people in the same boat as me, potentially some with better dealerships than mine who were able to fight their corner more than mine bothered to do, but certainly, lots of people will have lost thousands of pounds due to this problem. I’d encourage you not to make the same mistake as me and stay well away from Mazda.

Old 01-24-2024, 03:59 PM

This is a strange post. I have seen a few reports of this and just did another survey to see what the often warped forums say and don't see this as common at all. I am curious how you experiencing this at 5.5 years makes it "clearly a widespread problem"?

Old 01-24-2024, 04:08 PM

While i feel for your problem you are not giving any information to the other side of the story.
So while it is tragic what has happen to your MAZDA it is not "wide spread" and without knowing all the details no one can make a judgment based on a very emotional response from a new member.

So was it the dealership that dismissed the claim or was it MAZDA Corp ? there is a difference?
Also they would have given details why it would not be covered.

As far as class action suits there are literally hundreds filed against auto manufactures every year. Almost none ever are seen in court and most dissolve without any outcome and we never see those?
And yes MAZDA has had some failed engine with diesel yours is not and is frankly enough different that can not be included in engine failures as gas engines.

I am sure some of would like to read all the details and information about your MAZDA other wise sorry it happened buty it sounds like a one sided story with little suportive information?

Old 01-24-2024, 04:16 PM

I would check for better information why it was disallowed:

Mazda USA Official Site | Cars, SUVs & Crossovers | Mazda USA

MAZDA MOTOR CORPORATION GLOBAL WEBSITE

Last edited by Callisto; 01-24-2024 at 04:29 PM.
Old 01-24-2024, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
You again? exactly were are you concluding this data from Please provide the sources for all of us to go read.. How did you determine that some reports are not a person simply reporting on several media portals. Where did you obtain tangible data that can be easily varied as a fact based source of information.
Been down this road before with your armchair conspiracy theory

You and Mel Gibson would have made for a great team.

I think you misread my post. I wrote I've only seen a few reports and I don't see head gasket failure as common at all. I don't have any sources indicating head gasket is common because I don't believe that to be the case. Your post is stranger than the OP. Mel Gibson?

Old 01-24-2024, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by ondersma80
I think you misread my post. I wrote I've only seen a few reports and I don't see head gasket failure as common at all. I don't have any sources indicating head gasket is common because I don't believe that to be the case. Your post is stranger than the OP. Mel Gibson?
I did and now corrected it. Sorry dude I guess I saw your user name and lock and loaded my response.
BTW I love that movie !

Old 01-24-2024, 07:18 PM

I have a 2018 CX-5 2.5L with 80 K miles. Barely uses any oil. Maybe half a quart between 7,500 mile oil changes. It's Subaru's that have frequent head gasket issues. For twenty years. Problem with using boxer engine in an an affordable car. Temperature is uneven when cylinders goes sideways.. Porsche used to overbuild their engines.

Old 01-25-2024, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Lfungus1
I have a 2018 CX-5 2.5L with 80 K miles. Barely uses any oil. Maybe half a quart between 7,500 mile oil changes. It's Subaru's that have frequent head gasket issues. For twenty years. Problem with using boxer engine in an affordable car. Temperature is uneven when cylinders goes sideways.. Porsche used to overbuild their engines.
Welcome to the forum
Good post information!
You have some good and interesting information that a Porsche owner would generally know?
How long you live in Sacramento?

Old 01-26-2024, 09:52 AM

Everyone has something to complain about and more often than not, no one else is really all that interested.
If more effort was put into trying to resolve issues (perceived or not) than complaining about it, there would be far less things to complain about.

Old 01-29-2024, 07:42 AM

I had a similar experience with a K...K...Kia. 2013 Theta II engine. Kia wouldn't cover it, Endurance Warranty wouldn't cover it, so I got it repaired and ditched it after 4 months' worth of phone calls and assessments. Bought a 2021 CX-5 GT. Love it.
Thank you for sharing your wisdom and experience here. Forums are where the REAL truth comes out.

Quick Reply: Mazda CX-5 2018 Head Gasket Failure